New Helmet Concept

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Feb 18, 2015.

1. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Unoriginal and lazy is putting the same old product in a shiny new package. Marketers/Advertisers have been trying that for years. "New and Improved!" = "Same shit in a new package".

Improve the product, not the package, and I doubt anyone will really care what they look like.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

im ok with that. i think the jets 80s style looks great, makes me think of the teams that made me fall in love with the jets. the first helmet i ever had. and its a great logo that has that little bit of a jet look to it. much better than a full on fighter jet and much more jets like than the current one.

i used to think the same about the color matched helmet and facemask, they didnt used to even be able to get them color matched. it was white, black or gray. im honestly completely tired of gray facemasks. if you arent notre dame or alabama i think you should look for something else. it just boils down to being lazy to me. well gray is standard lets go with gray.

i am interested in seeing it, sometimes i love the matching sometimes it looks gaudy like you said. im falling out of love with the different color facemask trend. its been that way for quite some time. im sure someone can work it up to see what it would look like kelly green on green. id even be interested to see what it would look like white on white with the old jets logo in green. maybe even bigger or adding some new "flair" to it. people are very creative, sometimes it looks like crap sometimes it looks great.

i look at it this way, its the off season and id rather be talking about this than (insert annoying offseason topic here)

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you about the color rush game.

I generally prefer classic clothing and uniforms, but imo I think the current Jets unis are kind of tired looking. It's not that I really want a "contemporary" look. I just think those unis and helmets have a bit of a contemporary look, yet because they were wore for a period of time (a decade or so), they are also traditional. Maybe the traditional style with kelly green would do it for me and the white helmet with the green jet logo (thanks for the spirit of compromise). I'd also be up for a new jet design logo on the helmet. I never have liked that blimp/football on the helmet.

4. NCJetsfan

It's a good thing the team doesn't poll fans on the unis, because they'd never come up with an answer. LOL It's interesting to see how different all of our opinions are on the unis.

I understand not liking that logo. I could get on board with a new logo, but I don't like that old Jets logo. It and the 60s unis just looks old and clunky to me, not classy at all. They look like they belong in the '60s, not the 21st century. Again, like with picksix, I don't understand how you like the kelly green and it doesn't remind you of the lousy HCs, yet the helmet logo does, but that's ok. With these kinds of things there is often no logical explanation, it's more just a gut, visceral reaction or a matter of taste.

IMO with a 2 color uni, introducing a 3rd color for the facemask makes no sense. If you don't think a kelly green facemask would look good with a white helmet and a green logo, fine, then just go with a white facemask. Gray just doesn't cut it for me. That makes it no longer a 2-color uni, but a 3-color uni.

Nesquik likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

The product, by far, is the most important thing, but when all of the other teams have changed their package, it makes the Jets look cheap and bad (imo) to not change as well. I don't want to go the route of the Univ. of Maryland and have a slew of different helmets and unis that constantly change the color combinations, but I would like something a little creative and flashy. The style looks dated to me and the forest green color is dull and boring. I find it hard to believe that someone can't come up with a great looking Jets logo that actually has a jet. If they want their identity to be a tough defensive team and a tough running game, then maybe a B-52 bomber should be in the logo (or whatever the newest bomber is). If they want to be known as a fast-striking team on both offense and defense, then perhaps a sleek fighter or the stealth bomber would be more appropriate.

Nesquik likes this.
  6. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Maryland is a whole different animal, as their package is driven by Under Armour, whose founder is a Maryland alum (IIRC) who is paying for all of those different configurations. So good for them.

As for color, I guess I'm partial to the Kelly Green look because no one else has it. Leave the darker green to the Packers, I find the two-toned Kelly and White very appealing.

As for logos, there is a distinction between official team logos, and uniform decals. For instance, the Yankees official logo is represented by a bat and Uncle Sam top hat, while their uniform logo has always featured the overlapping "NY". The Jets "blimp" logo (as some may call it) should probably always be the official team logo ( I like how it's shape resembles the Hess logo, which is another reason I feel it should remain).

As for helmet decals, the team name was derived from it's initial location near LaGuardia, a name meant to be synonymous with the "jetsetter" lifestyle of the time. I guess that's why I don't mind the 80's logo, as to me it represents a more contemporary "Private Jet" as opposed to a Pan Am jet that people were associated with in the 60's. Which is why I wouldn't object to seeing it in green on a white helmet as opposed to going completely back to the 80's green helmets.

I've never entertained the notion of a "military" style Jet logo. Now maybe had Broadway Joe worn Bomber jackets instead of fur, I'd think differently.

alleycat9 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree with this turd for once.

Create a winning product, then do your marketing crap. And don't bring up the Bucs, because those creamsicles needed to be changed more than a decade before they were.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I still really dig this and that's saying a lot since every redesign I've seen looks like crap to me.
    There's a lot to be said about tradition but I think this team has been trying to find an identity for so long since the days of Broadway Joe that maybe it's time to just ditch "tradition" and start a new trend going forward.

I agree with the crowd on here that blasts the idea of using the Kelly green and the old logo, it does remind me of having a paper bag over my head with eye holes cut out while sitting in the stands at Shea.
    You only go back to "tradition" when that tradition was successful and it certainly WAS NOT.

Someone mentioned a "camo" styled theme or some type of military tie in and with the climate of today and what's going on in this world that could work but someone with skills would have to come up with something that's not too "busy" and overdone.
    This is why I was sorta thinking of the helmets in that matte finish like the Vikings, the military theme may work with that and you'd have the option to incorporate a JET fighter in the logo.

All in all I do agree that it's time for a reboot and a fresh look. I'm getting kinda tired of what we've got going now.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree

10. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the info on Maryland. I didn't know that.

Yes, the Packers have the dark green and it looks good with their gold helmets and gold pants. I think kelly green should be the jets green because it's different.

I never realized there was any similarity between the Jets log and the Hess logo. Now that I know that, I'm all the more determined that the Jets logo should be permanently abandoned. Most of Hess' tenure as owner of the Jets were their darkest days. He was a total doofus when it came to football and the Jets, and I despised the old bastid. We certainly don't need any reminders or tie back to him and that era of Jets football.

alleycat9 likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Or it they want their identity to be a football team, how about a football? :D
    Agree about the drab forest green/gray belly patches combo (as well as the cut-off/fake shoulder "rings"). As for changing the history, recall the many baseball teams that changed to newer, updated uniforms (e.g. Atlanta Braves, San Francisco Giants, Pittsburgh Pirates, etc)........yet once those uniforms got stale those teams returned to their classic, historic roots. jmo, but 'update' the green back to 'green' and I'm good:

[​IMG]

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This picture is it. This is the only uniforms they need to wear along with the all-whites. Classic and perfect nothing needs to be changed. I wouldn't mind doing the 80's uniforms as a throwback twice a year, but look at how sharp Joe Willie looks right there, those are the best uniforms in all of sports, no need to mess with it.
    If we ever did something like the Seahawks or the Bucs I'd refuse to wear it, that shit is childish and makes the teams look like arena football/laser tag uniforms.

Walt White, joe and BacktoQueens like this.
  13. alleycat9

bottom line is that green is not a main color so its always going to be tough to wear green.

14. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

same here. they looked excellent in person. way better than i thought they would

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Notafuckinchance! That logo sucks now like it did in its short life. It was abandoned for a reason. The New York Jets logo is shaped like a football - period!

16. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

here we go , love the old uniforms, but what the hell, I'm an old man.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. Ralebird

What the hell does this mean? Get a five pack of crayons, one is green. Jello comes in green. Traffic lights are green. Road signs are green. Money is green. M & M's have green.

Read this: [​IMG]

18. Ralebird

By the way - this is the only shade of green that should ever appear on a Jet uniform, regardless of what you call it, and a lot of clothing people call this hunter green or forest green. Kelly green is what plastic hats are on St Patrick's Day.

Don't gimme no olive drab, seaweed or overcooked peas. And don't even think about camo - all I can think about is those ridiculous Mets horror shows they drag out way too often.

19. alleycat9

dont you think there is a reason why there are two green colored teams in the nfl (3 if you count green bay but they wear alot more yellow than green), 1 in the nba, none in baseball? its just not a primary color, its not something people will wear, its a secondary color that cant stand up on its own.

20. NCJetsfan

That may be true of sports teams, but it's not always true of fashion in clothing. Over the last several years, there have been a lot of different shades of green in both men's and women's fashions. I wear a lot of green. I have hazel/green eyes and light brown hair and green looks great on me and a lot of people with blue, brown or green eyes, and all hair colors.

There didn't use to be a lot of green in men's clothing. Everything was navy, black, gray and brown. Green would come and go periodically, but over the last 10-20 years green has become pretty much a staple color in men's clothing.

#220 NCJetsfan, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016