Woody Johnson Comments on how the season went

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Jan 29, 2016.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So Woody came out and spoke about how the year went ,I found his comments pretty intresting especially the stuff about the Buffalo loses how we lost the same way twice and the final score was exactly the same.He also made some comments in another article on how Geno may have the skills but questions his desire

Woody Johnson: 'So far, so good' despite painful losses to Buffalo
    8:04 PM ET
    • [​IMG]
    NEW YORK –- Woody Johnson certainly didn’t like seeing the New York Jets lose to Buffalo the way they did, but their owner is pleased with the direction of the team under general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles.

“From 4-12 to 10-6,” Johnson told reporters at an appearance at the Jets House in Manhattan. “So far, so good.”

“I feel pretty good about the new team in place and about what they are capable of doing,” Johnson added. “I am sorry the way we lost the way we did.”

Ryan Fitzpatrick's three fourth-quarter interceptions.

“I think we played the game the same way twice,” Johnson said of the Jets getting off to slow starts and falling behind to the Bills. “That is the way I recall it. But I hate to lose the same way twice and that is not what we did during the season.

“We played pretty well and got better. When we played the Patriots the second time, we did better. So Todd is aware of that. We are going to be looking at everything. We are going to be looking at the Broncos defense [in the Super Bowl], they got some great players.”

Johnson did not want to comment on contract negotiations and how confident he felt about bringing back Fitzpatrick and defensive endMuhammad Wilkerson.

“We are going to look at all those [but] the contract deals I don’t really talk about,” Johnson said. “We are going to try to put together the best team we can. Mo is a great player. We drafted him. We will see how that plays out.”

“Ryan did a nice job for us, a good leader, people like him, in the huddle,” Johnson added.

Johnson said he had no regrets with how things ended with his old coach, saying, “Rex and I get along fine.”

The owner likes what he has seen so far from his new coach.

“I just think the way he handled the team going forward,” Johnson said of what he appreciated in Bowles’ approach. “... He went over some of these rough patches during the year and I thought from a leadership standpoint the team hung together. You could see that. It evolved and towards the end of the year, I could see the team becoming stronger.”

“I like them,” he added of Maccagnan and Bowles. “This is a refreshing start.”

NEW YORK –- Jets owner Woody Johnson believes Geno Smith has the tools.

But can Smith still be a franchise quarterback?

“I mean, that’s up to the eye of the beholder,” Johnson said at an appearance at Jets House in the city. “But he has all the skills. It is a question of what his desire is. And from what the coaches told me and from what I have seen myself, I think he has matured a lot. And he is working on his game and he knows he’s a professional and he has the ability if he sticks with it.”

Smith entered camp as the starter but suffered a broken jaw when he was punched by former teammate IK Enemkpali in the locker room early in training camp.

“I kind of agreed with everything that has been said by the coach (Todd Bowles),” Johnson said when asked about the altercation. “It is one of the things that you never want to have, that kind of violence in a locker room. I think we dealt with it. Todd’s instincts were correct. He got rid of the player immediately and addressed that.”

Ryan Fitzpatrick became the starter and led the Jets to a 10-6 season, and the team would like to bring him back on a new deal.

Smith played in one game this season, spelling Fitzpatrick after the starter got injured in Oakland. Smith went 27-for-42 for 265 yards and two touchdowns while throwing one interception in a 34-20 loss to the Raiders.

“Geno, I think, had a pretty good year,” Johnson said. “We will see in the summer how he (does) but I think the coaches are pretty optimistic about what he has learned and maturity. We know he can throw a ball. I think he has taken it to a new level and we will see how it plays out.”

Woody praises Revis: Johnson had plenty of good things to say about cornerback Darrelle Revis.

“It’s always great to have somebody, Hall of Famer type player like Darrelle,” Johnson said. “We are very happy to have him. On the field, off the field, the leadership and the way he plays and just his presence is huge for us.”

“He played pretty well last year,” Johnson added when asked if Revis can still play at an elite level for years to come. “If he is not one, he is one or two in the league. He played well and brings a level of maturity in the locker room that is (worth) more than just one player.”

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

#2 FJF, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  3. LongIslandBlitz

4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

F woody johnson, the REAL issue with this franchise is him,

Walt White likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are franchises where the owner is the issue. The Jets aren't one of them. Just my opinion. but I think the Jets record over the years backs it up.

6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I think Woody's press conference the day he fired Rex & Idzik was well done. At first I thought he may have goofed with the Revis comment. Now I think it was part of a plan. The manner in which he set forth the process that lead to Mac & Bowles was also handled well. So far so good. The Jets have spent money over the years, and while they are 0-16 in VLTs under his watch, he & the Jets are closer to the top of the list than the bottom.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

yea that's not true at all

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

So far, so good? Lets see we had a opportunity to make the playoffs, and the same ole Jets surfaced in typical fashion, seems like nothing has changed, but as our owner says that's good!

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Woody is a silver spoon chomping boob who has been trying to sit at the big kids table his whole life and bought an NFL franchise as a result of that.

That said, he's not the problem with this franchise, he's been a big part of the reason they've gained any semblance of legitimacy since he bought it.

But I'll never stop making fun of him, because if there's a billionaire version of Charlie Brown in this world, it's him.

10. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

Woody isn't perfect, but he's better than Haslam, Ross, Snyder, Dolan, Wilpons, etc. Under his ownership, Jets have been middle of the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jetnut

Jetnut Member

Yea, woody killed us, he needed to play better...

12. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Woody says we went from a 4-12 team to a 10-6 team so its so far so good?

He must post here.

13. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I wish these reporters would stop asking Woody questions, that might make him think he wants to/should be a GM.

14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

If he is Charlie Brown, then it's a good thing Woody's not our kicker.

15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Woody has a Twitter account FYI so U can contact him thru it

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Has he blocked you yet?

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Woody must think there's a crazy 15 y.o. girl following him on twitter obsessed with v.l.t.s

The 1985er likes this.
  18. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Woody stays out of the way of the front office for the most part, which is a positive. Brady will
    be gone soon, then the division will be wide open. I gained faith in the GM & HC during the season.
    I do wonder if the NFL kept the 4 games suspension on "the deflator" if we would have made
    playoffs or won division??

19. LongIslandBlitz

I've been hearing "Brady will be gone soon" for the last 5 years.....He will be here for atleast 3 more years.Its up to the Jets to win the division and make him rethink how much longer he has left

Royal Tee likes this.