Why I feel really good about Jets future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I'm seeing both positive and negative outlooks on the future of the New York Jets. For one thing, the optimists are saying that going 10-6 off a 4-12 season is incredible and shows how positive the future is. On the other hand people are saying how this is a "win now" team and how Fitz isn't the answer, Marshall is old, Jets are losing free agents like Mo, etc....

First off, let me start by saying that the reason why I feel good doesn't really have to do with the Jets record the past year or the situation they face. In 2013-2014, Geno looked like he was progressing, the Jets had a ton of $$ in Free Agency, and Rex celebrated with players in the locker-room....and it didn't turn out so well. Everyone was talking about how 2014 was going to be the season the Jets get big name players and compete...and they went 4-12.

It's not so much about where the team has been or is, it's about who is making the decisions. The patriots (although we despise them) have had incredible success the past decade+ because they have competent and intelligent management all around. The people running the show are whats important.

John Idzik was numnut and Rex Ryan was not organized. That's why when the Jets had 12 draft picks, the most Cap space, and a decent 8-8 season everything fell apart.

For once I feel like the Jets have finally found competent and intelligent people to manage the team in Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan. This thing is going to take time, I never expected the Jets to win a superbowl this year (it takes time to weed out the stains of Rex Ryan and his circus). This is why I feel optimistic.

These guys get it.

macbk, Nesquik, Catfish Billy and 2 others like this.
  2. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

It's early yet. But, the returns look promising. Are they better? Yes. But, it was an easy last place schedule too. I think this Jets team could very well be better in 2016 but have a worse record.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone.

4. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I feel good about this years team because they pulled out some games that they would have blown in the past. And I have confidence in the GM & HC (although he still has a learning curve. What's going to happen to our Free Agents is to be seen. But I have hopes that restructuring a few players (Cro, Furgerson, maybe Revis will help). Dumping some others will also clear some money.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

agreed!

I think the jets are going to make some surprising moves this offseason and we're all going to be really hyped entering next season.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our GM did a very good job last year.

I hope he continues to do as well this year.

7. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

I agree and I'm cautiously optimistic. However, next year's schedule, at face value, looks brutal. Additionally, we had one of the easiests schedules in the league for 15-16.
    If these guys can practice with good fundamental skills, acquire talent via draft & FA and wipe the dog shit off special teams the outlook is good.

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

We should have done better this season. Our schedule was about as easy as it gets.

There's other factors though. It was Fitz's first season with Decker and Marshall. Coach's first season as HC. I don't think it'd take a lot to stay competitive. Just gotta figure out the salary cap situation. D'Brick is drastically overpaid for his level of performance and it's a cap killer ($14.1m next year). Cro is due $8m next year and he definitly doesn't deserve that. David Harris is due $7.5m and he's declining. If we could do something about those three, we could make room for younger talent that'll keep us going.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What a dumb ass. First you say you feel bad about possibly losing Mo, then you say your glad to see Rex's 'stains' gone from the team. I believe Mo was Rex's first 'stain'.

10. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

The only thing I wonder about with this team is how we will screw it up in the future......

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

10-6 is going to be tough to duplicate next year with a harder schedule. Fits will be another year older, Mo Wilkerson and/or Harrison might not be here. Ivory is a question mark still. MM has a very tough job this off season. It's going to boil down to the draft, figuring out how to deal with the D line contracts and getting young promising pass rushing OLBs. He also needs to completely revamp the special teams. Bowles has a year under his belt, so I expect improvement from that angle.

I'm not worried about the passing game, but the offense has to get better. They barely skated by easy depleted teams this year and running back health was an issue again down the stretch.

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You believe some crazy. Sanchez draft and Kyle Wilson draft were both under Rex, both before Mo.
    Other "stains" from those drafts include the Terminator, McKnight, Greene, and Ducasse.

13. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

You forgot our future hall of fame'r Stephen Hill

14. TwoHeadedMonster

No, I haven't forgotten--but I am trying.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

My bad....so Mo was Ryan's 3rd stain?

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i dont think idzik was "numnut"... his draft was poor, but he kind of got a raw deal from woody. woody singed off on idziks 3 year rebuild. to get rid of bad contracts and help get this team younger. then woody prematurely fired him in year 2 of a 3 year plan because of fan and media pressure

who knows what idzik would have done with 55 million and the #6 pick. thats what he had built towards.

im glad idzik is gone cause his drafting was awful, but if woody kept him another year i think he would have improved this team similar to what mac did.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

I think 8th stain....but I'm not going back and counting. He was from the third draft of stains. The first two only had a few stains, but they were mighty stain-y.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We should have made the playoffs this year,who knows what will happen next year

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

What are you saying? Hitting 1 out of 3 first round picks is good enough for you? Wilkerson has been great but lets not act like there weren't a lot of horrible personnel decisions in the end of the Mike Tannenbaum and John Idzik eras.

KingRoach likes this.
  20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea Idzik definitely wasnt given a full chance to show what he wanted to do. However 12 picks in 1 draft and he failed pretty big. Good first and 2nd round picks but nothing spectacular. I like Pryor a lot and hope he continues to improve. Amaro if healthy could be good for us. Then 10 picks of nothing. Many were cut before the season ever started.