Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

To me it shifts us from favorites to runner ups.

Take Cespedes out of the equation completely and I think we still are the better team.

As for his current situation I think it would be very smart for him to take the Mets deal with the opt out. As thin as the FA market for hitters was this offseason its even thinner next offseason.

If he comes back and mashes he'll get his 125 mil next offseason no doubt..just not with us I guess.

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, Dusty Baker there makes them more scary.

It's not about on field tactics. It's about handling players on the field and in the clubhouse. That's where Williams was lacking. But the players in that clubhouse have to bear responsibility. That was a bad mix and it was obviously divided

Recent history tells us that the teams going all out with big contracts guarantees nothing. Even with Baker that team still has to do it on the field and could easily fuck up it's long term ability to sustain.

Cespedes easily has 6-7 years of excellent playing ahead of him. He's in his Prime now, and he'll diminish over time. But he's got a lot of playing to do yet, and the next three years are prime time

I hope we get him. And I hope the heat the Coupons are getting is having a say. If we get him, when I here criticism of him down the road I'm gonna lose it tho :)

3. Walt White

Not getting my hopes too high but.....I like the writer as a Mets fan and almost always agree with him in matters Mets

Latest on Yoenis Cespedes: Mets are negotiating, Nationals are waiting

Yoenis Cespedes and the Mets are in talks about a three-year deal with an opt out after next season, though the Mets are considering whether to offer more.

Cespedes currently has a five-year offer on the table from the Nationals, but he would prefer to stay with the Mets.

[​IMG]
    Matthew Cerrone

2:35 pm: It's been a crazy morning filled with lots of information. So far, I've heard insiders say Cespedes is willing to take a three-year deal, but only if he gets an opt out after each season. I've heard others say that's ridiculous. I've heard some say he's using the Nationals to motivate talks with the Mets, while others believe it could be the opposite. I've heard Washington has close to $20 million deferred in their deal, while others believe that's only the case if it doesn't include an opt-out clause. And, of course, I'm repeatedly told to never forget about the White Sox, Angels, Cardinals and Rangers, who are all capable of jumping in at the last minute with a significant offer. So, basically, at this point, your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea what to believe. That said, I do know it's quiet around the team, because the Mets and Cespedes's people are talking. To what extent they're talking, I suspect we'll know soon enough... I still say 50% he's back to the Mets on a short-term deal, 50% he takes a nine-figure deal with someone else

4. Walt White

Now Wright's chiming in...as well he should....but I digress and that's a topic for another time, lol

Mets third baseman David Wright told the New York Daily News on Friday he hopes the team brings back free agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.

"I will put my name behind the statement that Yo was a good teammate on the field and a great teammate off the field," Wright said. "And I hope we find a way to bring him back.

"With that said, and I have said this before, I trust (Mets GM) Sandy (Alderson)," Wright said. "He took a team that was finishing last in the division and made a National League champion. He deserves our trust."

Cespedes joined the Mets in a deadline deal from the Tigers and propelled them to their first World Series berth since 2000. Cespedes sparked the Mets' offense by hitting .287 with 17 home runs and 44 RBIs in 57 regular-season games, then hit .222 with two home runs and eight RBIs in the playoffs.

The 30-year-old Cespedes has been discussing a potential three-year deal with the Mets with an opt-out clause after one year, but also has a five-year offer on the table from the Nationals. FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reported Cespedes' preference is to stay in New York.

5. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

3 years around $75 million. Opt-out after one year. Finally. Now let's see if he can replicate last year's production without the disappearance in the playoffs

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. nyjetsmets89

Granderson
    Conforto
    Wright
    Cespedes
    Duda
    Walker
    Darnaud
    Flores
    Pitcher

Is this the order next year? Would Wright bat down in the order instead?

7. Walt White

Beautiful...

La Potencia in the house!!

8. nyjetsmets89

Now SNY just needs to sign Keith and we're ready...

EDIT: Where was I 10 days ago?

9. Walt White

I think he's in

10. Walt White

Lotta mixing and matching. It's a nice deep roster now

Don't forget Cabrera. He's playing SS, no?

And let's put Wright down at the bottom. Seriously :)

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Anytime a guy takes less money to stay in NY, you have to recognize that and make the deal. I'm glad it got done but now Cespedes has to hold up his end of the bargain too. After he got hit last year, he went into a psuedo coma and really wasn't the same guy afterwards. The Cespedes that first showed up here needs to find his way back.

12. nyjetsmets89

I wanna say Cabrera may platoon with Flores or that Flores will start over Cabrera. Not sure though. I would have Cespedes play CF to get used to it and learn to play next to Conforto every day

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Well, there's really no chance that that is going to happen - for 7 weeks he was Ted Williams. What they need is the guy he was on average for the entire year, and that's not unreasonable. Alderson deserves loads of credit for getting this done. It is now clear that they are a better team than they were last year, and all of a sudden the Cubs and Nats are a lot less comfortable than they were. I still expect the Cubs to win more games over the 162 game schedule, but as they proved last October in a short series the Mets can be very scary as long as they get at least some hitting.

Red Menace and irishwhip03 like this.
  14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is a good deal, but obviously Cespedes gets the clear advantage. If he has a down year he can opt to stay and get his $25 million the next year. If he's great he can bail. Mets assume all the risk in this deal, other than if he declines it's only for two additional years instead of 4. Still, they had to do it. He was clearly the driving force of our success last year and it's vital this team remains a legit contender.

Red Menace and MJK like this.
  15. irishwhip03

Bravo to Sandy..home fuckin run

And also hats off to Cespedes. Nice to see a little loyalty.

16. Walt White

Now let's roll!! :mad:

dawinner127 likes this.
  17. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

3 years 75 with an opt out after 1 is a better deal than 5 for 100....not sure if loyalty is the right word but he clearly wanted to come back. I kinda feel like the Wilpons were forced to make this happen...Cespedes made it clear he wanted to come back and Mets fans have been hammering ownership this week.

#6337 MJK, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  18. irishwhip03

He's def gambling on himself for next year, which works out for him either way with the opt out option, but most players today would take those 5 years and that 100 mil and not think twice about it.

For me the loyalty comes from him keeping the Mets in the race the whole way, moreso than looking at it as him signing a higher annual contract.

Maybe he just flat out likes NY. Maybe he think he can market himself better here. Maybe he thinks he has a better chance to win it all as a Met.

Either way it's a great deal for both sides.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Awesome news to go into this blizzard with!

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Good job by the Wilpons, don't think for one minute that they did not realize the back lash that was coming.

Big picture scenario, with this pitching staff and everyone healthy they lead the division from the beginning of the year and don't have to worry about adding a player later on.

Wilpons realized it was money in their pocket from day one.