The Devin Smith pick-Macs one mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You may be correct on the BPA vs Geno/Fitz. However Macc had to be very happy Devin was available for HIS qb Geno Smith, a strong arm, long ball tosser. And I didn't say Devin would become our #2WR, I said Devin will (with more experience) pan out as a good #2 draft pick type WR (vs a bust as you and the OP think).

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Devin Smith (as drafted) is very similar to Ginn, when Ginn was drafted. A fast, one trick pony who could take the top off a defense (or at least pretend to). When Geno got injured and Fitz came in, we needed Devin to become more like Cotchery (great hands, great rout runner). And it looks like we STILL need Devin to do it with Fitz coming back next season.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Devin develops with a full training camp and with these new expectations, and Fitz throwing the rock every snap. If all else fails he can be an upgrade for our punt returner
    (assuming he learns how to hold onto the ball).

3. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Exactly. At least some people get it. Devin Smith is going to be a very good player for this team. He's a rookie that has a QB that can't throw the fly pattern, which is what he is good at. Once healthy, he will be solid. Hope he can stay healthy.

DaBallhawk likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

LOL

You can tell them they can go fuck themselves too, that doesn't mean OSU players have a low chance at being successful in the NFL.

Nick Mangold
    Rob Sims
    AJ Hawk
    Malcolm Jenkins
    James Larinitus
    Donte Whitner
    Ryan Pickett
    Will Smith
    Antoine Winfield
    Brian Hartline
    Ryan Shazier
    Cameron Heyward
    Mike Nugent
    John Simon
    Bradley Roby

Should I keep going or can you admit you just don't like the Gholston pick that much and you are using that as a way to judge OSU players instead of looking at actual facts?

Your claim is completely false, there is and will continue to be good OSU players in the NFL. The program has nothing to do with a players success.

Jets4eva9011 likes this.
  5. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

This is one of those topics that's going to be great to bump once Devin Smith takes off.

ajax, jerseyjay14 and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Cromartie was a liability most of the year. With the returns now in it was a bad signing. It wasn't worth the money spent to get him here. How many of us cringed watching him attempt to cover or even tackle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. "Hey remember when you said Devin Smith was Mac's one mistake? He now leads the NFL in touchdown catches!"

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Are you fucking kidding me? Mike Nugent? Nuff said.
    [​IMG]

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Takes off? like when he is cut?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Can we just trade out of the 2nd round every year from now on??

TNJet likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

Do you think your argument is sound bro?

Really?

Out if that entire post, you pick out one name and think you have a very sound argument.

Nugent has been in the league a long time now. If your complete trash, you don't make it that long.

Your argument is weak, as fuck, nice try though bruh.

12. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

OSU is a great college program but they don't exactly produce a lot of great NFL players, you can't dismiss that. Compare how good their players are in college and then look at what they do in the NFL, a lot of times they're just underachieving, they never reach their potential. They don't produce the same caliber of players programs like FSU, Miami, Alabama, Missouri, Florida produce. I mean you have busts everywhere but with those programs usually when you pick somebody in the first 2 rounds there's a good chance he'll become a baller. With OSU players the odds of them becoming busts are way higher. And let's be honest, if that list, those are the best players OSU has produced in the last 1-2 decades that's really not something to be proud of. Half the guys are either long retired or haven't been consistently good in the NFL. Nugent's name shouldn't be up there. Simon was bouncing around until the Texans scooped him up, he's a sub package guy. Whitner was a bust with Buffalo, played well for the 49ers but overall he wasn't a great pick (top 10). Laurinaitis is a solid LB. AJ Hawk is an underachiever, Jenkins sucked with the Saints, he's doing very well with the Eagles now. The only really great pick, that All Pro type guy on there would be Mangold. I'd stay away from OSU players in the first round but that's just a gut feeling. I wouldn't pick LSU guys in the 1st round either, or USC players. Doesn't mean every once in a while maybe out of 10-20 picks there is a great one you'll miss, but I'll take those chances. I rather keep going after Miami, FSU or Florida guys. When you produce boobs like Gholston it scars fans, maybe more than it should. Shazier and Roby have a good chance to be ballers but we'll see. Shazier can't stay healthy and Roby is a nickel with the Broncos behind two elite corners on a top 3-5 defense.

TNJet likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

One or Two decades?

These are current NFL players who have made significant contributions to their team.

In no way Is this a list of the past decade of players.

Most of those guys on that list are very good players.

I'm not going to argue on all of these players behalf because it would take too long and it is dumb.

So, what I will say, is I truly believe youare wrapped up on the Gholston pick because there really is nothimg that says picking a player from OSU is a gamble In the draft.

I listed off starter caliber players In the NFL, that list is about to get fairly bigger after this upcoming draft.

Say what you want, the program has nothing to do with the future of these players. The players control that, not the program.

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i agree with you about it being comically bad to call smith a bust, especially at this point.

but i really dont see the Ginn comparisons. Ginn was a stud at OSU, and he wasnt just a straight line speed guy. he was super shifty, it what made him one of the best kick returners we have seen in a long time.

Ginn was some great route runner, but he wasnt just a deep threat, he could take a short one, make guys miss, and go a long way. smith doesnt have that

15. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Going into the draft I was hoping we would get Cooper (if he fell to us), Parker or DGB. It's too early to tell with Devin Smith though. I wouldn't write him off yet.

16. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

We all hope that's the case. I won't call him a mistake I'd label it as a red shirt year. It was his 1st year, he was injured, missed time and wound up trying to be a deep threat with a QB that has a noodle arm that has trouble throwing anything deeper than 20-25 yards. This year did nothing to change his perceived upside but he needs to show some of that promise next year. I think what most people find disappointing was his inability to get separation on plays he was targeted. The question is was it because he was slowed due to injury, does he not play as quick as advertised, was it partly due to defenses knowing Fitz couldn't reach him so they played him differently then the would had there been a strong arm QB starting etc? I give him a pass but I want to see him start showing flashes of what makes him different to be able to take the top off the D and open things even more for the other receivers on the team. The threat of the deep ball is only that if he and Fitz connect enough to warrant the threat otherwise its just an empty threat.

17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

If this guy is now reaching for Mike Nugent you've won this silly debate. Especially considering Mike Nugent is a solid NFL kicker.

18. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I look forward to November 2017.....hopefully the Amaro thread will be bumbed before then

#98 MJK, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  19. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Pickett, Will Smith, Rob Sims, Winfield, they're all retired. They were drafted 10-15 years ago. And yes, most of those guys listed are or were good players, but that's a compilation of your greatest players in the past 10-15 years, so it's not really impressive at all. And when you have guys like Ted Ginn, Gholston, Anthony Gonzalez, Beanie Wells, Carpenter, those were all 1st round picks and they all flat out sucked. I mean going back 10 years almost all their 1st round picks were complete busts. Shazier and Roby need at least 1-2 more years before you can evaluate them. Cam Hayward, playing well right now, started off slow. And Malcolm Jenkins, another guy that was considered a bust until he moved to the Eagles 2 years ago. It's not a great track record. After the 1st round however they did produce really good players recently. The 1st round picks just bother me, that's why I would avoid OSU players, after that it's not an issue. Carlos Hyde was a good pick in round 2, Hankins is a great 2nd round pick, Simon is doing well now, Kurt Coleman, Dan Herron. But the 1st round track record of OSU is very poor. It has been for the last 10+ years. Maybe it'll change now with guys like Shazier and Roby, the upcoming guys look promising, we'll see in a few years. But it's not bad luck or coincidence that their top picks struggled so bad in the NFL. They had a bad stretch, everybody has at some point.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I get that you love Ohio St., but it doesn't translate to the NFL. That's not a bad thing unless you are the team who wastes a pick on them.
    We lost out on Gholston, Nugent and Smith and hit on Mangold. 2 out of 3 ain't bad according to Meatloaf , but 1 out of 4 is bad. I just hope Bosa doesn't fall to us.

Edit: Also Anthony Schlegel,Al Washington, Chris Ward,Ed Thompson,Mike Bartoszek,Dave Foley ,Rick Seifert,Matt Snell

So, we have had 2 great players drafted out of 12 in the history of the NYJ from Ohio St. That is a 16.6% rate of success drafting from the Buckeyes. The numbers don't lie. Stay away from Columbus.

#100 TNJet, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016