ESPN: Curtis Martin's Career Likely Over

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by EcKo151, Oct 31, 2006.

1. JetGreen

JetGreen New Member

I just want to see #28 get one more carry...

Oh well. But if not, then I wish you well, Curtis. You have been tremendous for us. :up:

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Poison pill- another lame term.

3. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Brady was never a Jet. Martin was actually a Pat. Played in a Pats SB. Differences.

4. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

Meaning what, that the phrase itself is lame, or that it is being misused so it is lame?

The poison pill contract, designed by Parcells, was actually brilliant. It forced Krafts hand and gave the Patriots virtually no choice but to let him go. If left in NFL policy, it could have wreaked havoc overall, hence the disallowing of it after that deal.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You didn't get what I wrote did you?

I didn't say I wanted Tom Brady to catch an STD. I don't wish bad things on people, it's not healthy. I was making an exaggerated point regarding how we react to circumstances affecting the "enemy."

Honestly, I like Brady, as a QB. He just might be the best in the game at this point. Manning is good, but no one controls every facet of a team's success like Brady. I was a Marino fan too as a kid. Big deal. I was still happy he didn't get a ring.

Don't misconstrue what I say simply to bait me into an argument. I was only defending what DW was saying, since no one bothered to actually read what he wrote before looking for ways to tear into him.

6. Dirtywater

LOL, I thought it was a simple concept too Dino. :up:

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

No surprise that C Mart will likely call it a career. I hope he becomes a Jets backfield coach, but it sounds like he may pursue other business opportunities.

I think they should retire the #28 jersey. He was that good.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Meaning that the phrase itself is lame to me.

Also lame:
    • screw the pooch (lame as lame can be)
    • noodle arm (I agree Pennington has a bad arm, but the term itself is lame)
    • so-and-so forgot more football than so-and-so ever knew

I wish these phrases were eradicated.

9. Dirtywater

Fair enough.

10. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

It really is sad; Curtis is probably my all-time favorite football player and will be sorely missed. As GreenHornet said, hire him as a backfield coach or something. I'd also like to see him try to just do one more play, even if it is just ceremonious and he takes a knee at the line of scrimmage or something. He is a great man and a gamer. I can say that the world would be a much better place if people had huis mentality on things.

Definately retire #28 bey the way. I know there's a lot of argument about #80, but #28 was undoubtedly a top-10 all time RB.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He never came across as a future coach to me. I never got the idea he loved football enough to coach it.

The 28 jersey will be retired. He is going to be inducted into the PFHOF and was perhaps the classiest player to ever wear a Jets uniform. Players like Martin are why numbers get retired.

12. highlife15

highlife15 New Member

True, but the Pats traded Curtis, so why be upset at him? My point was Curtis is well liked for being a classy guy, so why root against him personally because he's on another team.

13. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

My points been missed.

14. Dirtywater

That makes 2 of us. :rofl2:

15. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Curtis is a classy guy. He is one of the most unselfish soldiers ever to don green.

16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

it ain't

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../bc.fbn.jets.martin.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- The New York Jets insisted Curtis Martin has not yet decided to end his season, despite a published report Tuesday that the NFL's No. 4 career rusher has told members of the team he won't return this year.

"There has been no decision," coach Eric Mangini said when addressing the story in The Star-Ledger of Newark.

The newspaper, quoting anonymous teammates and a team official, reported that Martin has already said he won't be able to play this season because of a bone-on-bone condition in his right knee that has sidelined him since late last year. The report also said Martin is close to retiring.

"I don't really know who that would be or where that information came from, so it's hard for me to make a determination on it unless they sign their name to it," Mangini said.

Martin was unavailable for comment, and Eugene Parker, the running back's agent, didn't immediately return a call to his office from The Associated Press.

The 33-year-old Martin, who has rushed for 14,101 yards, was eligible to come off the physically-unable-to-perform list Oct. 16, but the team announced he'd remain on it until after the game at Cleveland last Sunday. On Monday, Mangini said he spoke with Martin, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and the Jets' medical staff last week and they chose to hold off until next week on making a decision on whether Martin would rejoin the team and practice.

Mangini said there was no change in status on that issue Tuesday.

"What I'm going by is the conversations that I've had with Curtis, and we talk quite regularly," he said. "He's talked with me and Mike and talked to the doctors, so we're now basing this decision on information and discussions that I've had specifically with Curtis -- and that's what I go by."

Many of Martin's teammates were still holding out hope that he'll return.

"Every time I ask him, he says he's doing well," linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "I hope that if and whenever he does come back, he comes back and plays well."

If the players had any insight on the situation, they weren't saying so publicly.

"To be honest, that's not a concern of mine," receiver Laveranues Coles said. "What Curtis does is Curtis' business. All I can do is worry about Laveranues."

Added guard Pete Kendall: "I'm not really in the loop in that situation, so when I hear it from Curtis, then I'll know. Until then, we'll wait and see what happens."

The Star-Ledger report also suggested Martin has slowed his rehab and become increasingly less visible at team meetings. Not so, said Mangini.

"Curtis has been here every single day except days where I've told you about where I've personally excused him for something, and those have been few and far between. And he's been a huge asset to those guys," he said. "He's like everybody else. Every morning I look out and every morning there's Curtis, second row from the end, four or five seats in -- and he got his question right the other day."

According to NFL rules, a player on the PUP list can't be cleared to practice until after Week 6. Then, a team has three weeks to decide whether to allow that player to start practicing. The deadline for the Jets is next Tuesday.

If Martin is cleared to practice, the team would have three weeks from that date to either place him on the active roster or put him on injured reserve and end his season.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yup, no fat ladies in there. :wink: