Mel Kiper Says Leonard Williams is His Defensive Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Jan 8, 2016.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper Says Leonard Williams is His Defensive Rookie of the Year
    By John B on Jan 7, 2016, 7:38p

Link
    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016...-williams-is-his-defensive-rookie-of-the-year

ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr. says he thinks the Jets' first round pick was the best defensive rookie in the NFL this season.

Defensive rookie of the year

Leonard Williams, DE, Jets

He played nearly 800 snaps, was outstanding against the run, helped free up teammates to rush the passer, and actually did some great work in pushing the pocket himself. You really have to watch Williams on every snap because stats won't do him justice. I had him as the No. 1 overall player in the 2015 NFL draft, and I think he lived up to that. And yes, he was a total steal at No. 6 for New York. Great work by that front office.

I don't think anybody saw Williams falling to six before last year's Draft. Things worked out pretty well for the Jets. Sheldon Richardson's suspension made Williams important in the early going. If the Jets can get Muhammad Wilkerson locked up, it is going to be fun to watch these linemen grow up together.

I think the recognition a guy like Williams is getting is proof of how much smarter football analysis is getting. As Kiper said, you have to watch the snaps because his role does not lend itself to filling up the stat sheet. I don't think Sheldon Richardson would have won Defensive Rookie of the Year if he had played in the 1990's. The analysis is getting more sophisticated and appreciative of the dirty work.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

While I would vote for Williams because I'm a Jets fan, it's gonna be hard not to give it to Marcus Peters. Guy has been pretty awesome his first year.

Poeman likes this.
  3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Pretty good 1st season, but rookie of the year, I don't think so

JetsNation06, shonnfrank and Jets69 like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

"Peters, who the Chiefs selected with the 18th overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, recorded 15 tackles, four interceptions (one for a touchdown), nine passes defensed and a forced fumble in the month of december.

On the season, Peters — who is the Chiefs’ first rookie to make the Pro Bowl since Eric Berry in 2010 — has recorded 60 tackles, is tied for the league lead with eight interceptions and leads the league in passes defensed with 34."

yeah Kiper must be high or something

74 and Falco21 like this.
  5. Falco21

Yup.

It's not even close, to be honest

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Solid rookie year but didn't think he was THAT good.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Obviously Kiper is going to back who he touted as the best player in the draft. It's agenda driven to make himself look smarter. Nothing new here, fellas.

Williams looked good, although he needs someone to help him develop some pass rush moves outside of the bull rush. He's not bigger and stronger than everyone in the league like he was in college so he'll need to learn to use his hands more. He's going to be an All-pro player if he does.

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

My guy Marcus Peters has this in the bag.

9. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I don't have the stats in front of me but I think Peters also lead the league in TDs allowed for most of the season.

dogg likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well as a rookie CB he would be getting targeted a lot too. thats interesting though. I haven't seen the guy play so I won't make a judgement on him either way I guess. Williams though didn't look like rookie of the year to me

11. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

I actually agree with Kiper, for once. Marcus Peters didn't shut people down, he just made a bunch of turnovers, people assume that makes an elite corner. Leonard was more dominant at his position, he just doesn't have the sexy numbers to go with it. Hell, I'd even take Ronald Darby over Peters in terms of cover ability and tackling. He was a legit lockdown corner.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If defense were limited to the front seven Williams has my vote.

Looking at defense overall Marcus Peters looks like the real deal.

13. Falco21

I think you are completely wrong here lol

He started off slow this season but the second half of the season, he has been dominant:

In the second half of the season, he allowed 41% completions with a quarterback rating of 25.7 when throwing to him.

He has not surrendered one TD since week 9 and has 5 of his 8 interceptions in the last 8 weeks.

Since week 9, Peters has allowed the second lowest completion percentage in the NFL and the second lowest quarterback rating in the NFL.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

He has allowed 7 touchdowns this year, over 1000 receiving yards, that's Cromartie-bad. He was by far the most targeted corner in the entire NFL this year. Compare his numbers to Ronald Darby (PFF if you want, or any other site that tracks corners) and I guarantee you Darby smokes him. You can't just go by "since week...". If we go by "since week" then Cousins is easily the best QB in the NFL. If we go by "since week" then Brady is a below average QB. Don't get me wrong, Peters had a great year for a rookie corner, but he struggled big time for half the season. Ronald was dominant from week 1, he's a physical cover corner machine. I'd pick him all day over Peters if I have to take out a receiver. Peters is more a product of their defense, he does better in zone, he's not shadowing anybody. Sean Smith is their best corner and I don't even think he was better than Darby. Darby was just a beast. I don't like saying that either. My point is that Leonard and Darby were great all year, they just don't have the flashy numbers (sacks / INTs). Peters has the numbers, but he struggled half the time out there. Maybe he puts together a clean year in '16, but this season Darby was a better corner IMO. I don't think either of us can prove it so it's kind of a moot point I guess.

15. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Kansas City also had a weak schedule down the stretch so Peters wasn't really going against Elite Offenses

16. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

The Mel Kiper kiss of Death. Better sign Mo now.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

chicks dig the turnovers

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think his giving up big plays and TDs were his downfall

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Kiper had Peters rated the highest rookie earlier in the season.

Williams got off slow but came on in the end, after a mid season lull to boot. Looking forward to him next year, and how we handle the DL this winter

20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea Peters has been burned quite a few times in coverage so I imagine thats why Kiper chose Williams. I think Peters has 8 TDs given up?