The Problem

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Jan 3, 2016.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+1000

I posted before game that all the stats in the world are useless and that no Playoffs for this team would be epic fail

Bowles IMO is getting better as a Coach but my goodness gracious pleze learn some clock management and take an offseason course: How to Win the Big Game

Marvin Lewis wont be around if Cinci goes nowhere in Post Season. TB better see that. Its brutal but Bowles has the players and the GM to help him and the team gett better. So I expect improvement.

I am very sick and tired of not getting some sort of Championship. Everyone says "its so hard to win in the NFL" But, sorry to say this, the Jets are not East Carolina U. We get alot of good players. Minus Tom Shady, why do the Pats manage to win SBs????

#21 NYJetsO12, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. milo

milo Well-Known Member

As much as I tried yesterday I just couldn't turn this into the soul-crushing loss the Steelers (either '02 or '10) playoff loss or the '11 Giants loss was.

Sure it sucks right now, but if I look at what I thought this team would be in September, it's right on target to slightly better. 10-6 is normally solid ground. I'm not here to blow sunshine statistics up anyone's ass save this one: since the division realignment only 8 teams have missed the playoffs at 10-6 (4.7%).

Every season is different. We could go 2-14 next year. But what makes me confident we will stay on the up is that we have the most important building block set in place, the one even more important than quarterback: THERE ARE NOW ADULTS RUNNING THIS FRANCHISE! Not blustery man children, not accountants throwing darts at a draft board, not GM's who act like a teenage girl with her Dad's Amex at the mall everytime they see a shiny new free agent. Actual adults, who were trained to actually do their jobs.

It will start today. Bobby April will be a Wal-Mart greeter by sundown. Mac will begin doing what Mac does - find some new tackles, an actual tight end, a returner, and a pass rusher. We know these things suck; for the first time in forever we have a front office who sees the same glaring holes we do (No Tanny, Chaz Schilens didn't solve reciever, and yes, Wayne Hunter is still starting).

This absolutely blows. But we're not the Browns this shitty Monday morning. We're not the Lions, or the Bears, or even the Dolphins. We're the best team in the NFL that didn't make the playoffs. Wanna cry about it? Knock yourself out, but at least we're relevant again as more than Rex's PR machine.

NYJetsO12, sozopol, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

That's a hell of a fine post. Everybody seems to enjoy hating on this coaching staff, but I want to talk to the people on here who would have predicted 10-6, #4 Defense, #10 Offense back when Rex was fired, or in training camp, or after the Texans loss.....

4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

People keep looking at last year to this. This year team had the talent to make the playoffs last year team had the talent to get the #1 pick in the draft.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah we did accomplish on offense. For the first time in years we didn't have an offense where it looked like we were watching paint dry but that isn't satisfying enough. I don't believe in moral victories. We had a terrific opportunity and we fucked it up. We laid an egg yesterday.

There is no way this season can be considered a success since we had an opportunity to make the tournament and we failed, miserably. All of the great things we accomplished this year are moot. We don't have a young core. We have aging veterans on the roster. 9 wins was expected IMO.

6. Hectorfor3

Hectorfor3 Active Member

I hear what you are saying and I see the sense in it but can't agree. After coming so far and all of the close wins in the winning streak you have to finish this game off, period.

Nothing is a guarantee in the NFL and the Jets are as likely to be 6-10 next year as 10-6. When you have lightning in a bottle you can ride that to playoff victories and who knows what else (SB??). I'm not saying the Jets were elite but who was this year in the AFC? A beaten up Pats team, a very flawed Steelers team, a Broncos team with a very shaky QB scenario or the Bengals with McCarron? The Jets had as good talent as any of those teams and you can never scoff at an 11-5 record (which we would have had with a victory). We had a power back and maybe the best D Line and receiving tandem in the league.

I mean come on..what are we always waiting for? What brings out the SOJ fans is the buildup to these losses. As a 30+ year fan I am still incredulous at the numerous new and creative ways the New York Jets find to tear our guts out. That's what makes the Jets who they are. We aren't fans of some continually downtrodden franchise (Browns, etc.), we get the joy of yesterday instead.

You know, I'm not angry at yesterday, just disappointed. Some years you can live with the end of the season but I think this team could have made some noise with another week or two.....

NYJetsO12 and JetsfanHBca like this.
  7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

It became College Basketball season after that last INT at the 0:11 mark. I can't imagine watching the NFL playoffs knowing we should have been in it. I am now waiting for the following:

Alabama to beat Clemson because Rex loves him some Tigers
    Bobby April to be fired
    The Draft
    Geno Smith released

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Woody's not happy with the progress this season, then he's truly an utter moron! There should be ZERO pressure on Mac and Bowles. Some of you really need to get a grip and quit being so damn impatient. Our 40-50 years of frustration should have absolutely zero bearing on Mac and Bowles. They've only been on the job 1 year and the team has made a LOT of progress. They shouldn't be blamed because the fan base is impatient or has unrealistic expectations. Being impatient is a big reason we're in the mess we're in now. Tanny tried to build the team too quickly and we see the result. Horribly-missed draft picks swinging for the fences by trading up, causing holes in our starting lineup and little or no depth.

I know you and others aren't going to like it, but if this team EVER has any hopes of being a contender, Woody has to be patient with Mac and Bowles. Being patient with idiots like Tanny, Idzik and Rex is one thing. We finally have what appears to be a quality GM who has a plan for building a long term contender and an excellent young HC. Woody and we fans need to be patient with them. They're still learning and growing into their jobs and will make some mistakes. They are human, after all. They give us the best chance to have a true contender at any time in the near future. One of the problems the Jets have had is the continual coaching merry-go-round and GM changes. There has been no stability, and that's why the rest of the NFL and media give the team little respect. There have been far too many knee-jerk reactions in this franchise's history.

It's not going to be easy for us. We're all tired of not having a winner and of not having a team in the SB. None of us are getting any younger. It is what it is, and we just have to learn to deal with it and accept it. Panicking and becoming irrational and impatient will not make things happen any quicker.

#28 NCJetsfan, Jan 4, 2016
  9. NCJetsfan

Not me, and I don't really think you would be either. Talk about a spirit-crushing loss, getting into the playoffs and then getting humiliated, embarrassed and blown out is the worst. Also, making the playoffs when one's team isn't really that good can hurt more than help. Look at what happened with the 2009 and 2010 Jets. Tanny thought the Jets were a lot better than they were and didn't make the needed changes. In addition, I forget the year, but the year the Jets lost to the Steelers because of the missed kicks. Bradway also overestimated the talent and ability on the team and then took Nugent in the 2nd round instead of addressing more important needs/positions on the team.

Unless one's team can realistically go somewhere in the playoffs, imo it's no great thing to just make the playoffs then lose in the first round. Ask long time KC fans how they felt when Schottenheimer was the HC. Ask Dolphin fans from just a few years ago when they were making the playoffs every year then getting blown out in the first round. In the long run, it sets one's team back. It's cheap, short-term instant gratification rather than waiting for the real pleasure and prize.

10. NCJetsfan

Alabama could beat Clemson, but I don't think so. I think it will be a great game, but Clemson will prevail. Fuck Rex and what he likes. I like Clemson.
    Would love to see April fired, but not sure it will happen
    Definitely looking forward to FA and the Draft
    Doubt you'll get your way on Geno being gone. Be prepared to be disappointed/frustrated/mad. IMO, for that to happen, Bowles would either have to have tremendously soured on Geno's attitude and football IQ and/or think that Petty is ready to be the backup or challenge for the starting position in TC and then keep Fitz as the backup/safety net.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets beat 2 underperforming teams in their final possession. They let the Patriots come back to tie a game that should have been over earlier with the Jets punting on their last 3 drives in regulation, then profiting from a questionable call on the coinflip in OT.

Realistically this was an 8 win talent base that won 10 against a weak schedule with a lot of bounces going their way. What we saw yesterday was the Jets injury situation begin to more closely mirror the better teams in the playoffs, who are all very banged up right now. The advantage of a healthy team went out the door when Mo's season ended and Powell and Ivory both looked like big question marks for the post-season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Agree with your post but we were inconsistent all year... I am please with the direction of this team (because as other poster pointed out we have ADULTS running the store) and I believe they will make a few meaningful changes, i.e., davis, Richardson probably traded (or should be), need youth and speed at all LB spots (even with Maud and Riley), etc.

#32 SOJAZ, Jan 4, 2016
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

The schedule def helped. But the entire league is a very average league where tons of teams under perform.

Most teams are 8 win teams that get either a little help to get to 10 (which usually is enough to make the playoffs) or a little bad luck to win 5 or 6 games.

But our offense and defense are both good enough to be playing this weekend.

Special teams and lack of consistent pass rush are the reasons we arent in the playoffs right now, in my opinion. And to some extent the coaches not having the team ready to play on most road games and the home game against the Bills

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

That's the thing though, this team COULD have gone somewhere in the playoffs if they won yesterday and had a healthy Wilkerson with how mediocre the AFC is. And this team is a win-now team until Maccagnan has a 'few' more drafts to really change things over, I don't think Maccagnan has any illusions about not making changes - they have enough older players and cap issues where changes will have to be made regardless.

And it's not like picking 20th is really any different from picking 23rd or 24th in terms of the draft either...this season's not any more hurtful to the future than having a one-and-done in the playoffs would be.

My point was more that this season felt like the biggest tease ever and that's more annoying than just not being good enough, which most of us figured they weren't before the season anyway. For as many bad endings to the season as the Jets have had I don't remember too many where they really, truly made you believe this wasn't the same old Jets then bang right on the doorstep of prosperity thwacked you at the last minute in pretty much the most brutal way imaginable.

#34 NYJFan10, Jan 4, 2016
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So if we miss the playoffs again next year we should give Bowles a gatorade bath?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I think you're just kidding yourself. Sure a lot of teams looked bad during the regular season and a lot of teams are beat up, but you know as well as I do that once the playoffs begin, the cream rises to the top. Yes, occasionally a team gets lucky and gets hot and goes a long way, but usually when that happens they have a much better QB than we do and they have a great pass rush. We don't have an upper echelon QB and we don't have a consistent pass rush. I think we'd have most definitely lost in the first round, particularly with Powell out and Ivory banged up.

As far as this being a "win now" team, I still that's absurd. It's a team built to be competitive and at least have hopes of making the playoffs. It's not a classic "win now" team. I don't see Mangold, Brick and Revis getting us to the promised land or even still being on the team when that happens. Mangold may still be here, but I definitely think Brick and Revis will be gone.

I didn't mention the draft, but now that you have, you're wrong. Three or four places in the draft can be huge. Go back to previous year's drafts, and look at the players that would have been available for the Jets to draft IN EACH ROUND if they had drafted 3-4 spots higher. Now maybe those boobs Tanny and Idzik wouldn't have taken them, but I believe that Mac will. This team could be very different in the coming seasons as a result of picking 3-4 spots higher in the upcoming draft.

If it was a huge tease, then I'd submit that you weren't being realistic. You were letting your heart and emotions think for you rather than your brain. There were myriad reasons why this team was not a real playoff contender. Few said before the season that they would be, and even those that did, were being totally unrealistic with their comments and posts.

I'm disappointed that they didn't win yesterday, but not upset or even surprised. I learned a couple of years ago not to get too high or too low with this team. I don't mean this as criticism at all, but I submit that it isn't the Jets fault that you and some others are devastated today. You set yourself up for the kick in the balls. I don't have any "expectations" any more. I wait and see what happens, celebrate the positives, and ignore or accept the negatives as they happen. For your sake, I hope that you can adapt this approach to the team. It's a lot easier on the nerves and heart. This team and the game in general just aren't worth letting control your emotions.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post. Did not see this til now.

18. njjet

njjet Member

I'm extremely pleased you went 10-6. We have to put that into the proper prospective. The Jets played a weak schedule. There are several games we could have loss...Giants...Cowboys. I'm glad we won but I don't think were as good as the record indicates. With that said we are what our record saiys. We need to evaluate our personnel. Our OL needs some new blood, an OLB one who could cover would help ! In retrospect, Revis was a mistake for the boat load of money we paid. Bottom line, I think we were luck to go 10-6

19. SteveGrogan

SteveGrogan Well-Known Member

FWIW I think 10-6, barely missing the playoffs with some nice wins win between is a home run for a team pre season everyone I know picked 8-8.

I personally like Fitz, he has a higher football IQ than anyone I've seen behind center for the Jets since .... I can't even think of anyone.

Jets did some things this year that scared me, both on offense and defense.

I thought the Jets were going to make the playoffs and then do some damage.

Obviously there was a bit of a learning process for everyone involved, especially Bowles obviously.

I think when some corrections are made, and the 2016 season schedule comes out the Jets will find themselves in the discussion of teams expected to make the playoffs.

It's gotta be frustrating but year 1 isn't supposed to knock it out of the park. I think Bowles met expectations and then some. Jets were 1 play from being 11-5. 1 play.

20. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

You can say we won games we should've lost.

I say we lost game we should've won.

The talent was there. The motivation seemed to lack at times. Mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

That to me is a coaching problem and it's a player problem.