speeding ticket

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Petrozza, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You are a bad man Petro. I prayed God to hurt you but just financially a little and not thru Jets. This is what you get.

Okay joking.

I also got fined for speeding on Belt at 6 am. It happens to a lot of people. Just get a lawyer and be done with it :)

2. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Sucks, Petro.

I'm glad that I read this. Usually I just flow with traffic and figure that I won't get a speeding ticket. I'm going to be more careful now.

3. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

My only beef with cops handing out speeding tix is the hypocrisy of it. I work with a number of current and retired cops and every single one of them drives like a maniac. Not to mention the complete disregard for DWI. I have serious contempt every time a cop writes a guy for anything less than 10 mph over.

NYJetsO12, MJK and jilozzo like this.
  4. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

I feel for you my friend, sucks. Here in Fl we can take online classes to avoid the points. Plus no law enforcement officer would pull u over for anything less 10 mph over the speed limit. Average speed here is 80 on the highways with some folks who do 10 over that on a daily bases.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

No doubt in a white cargo van.

_

6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Ya it seems everyone on i95 does 75-80 lol. Love the people in the HOV lane while doing 65....

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mod for a day at TGG for the prosecutor?

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its all a fucking racket, ny seems much more obnoxious than ct. i have only plead guilty to one ticket ever here. my 2nd using a hands free device. every single other ticket i have gone and either gone to court and had it nolled or been given a donate 75 bucks to charity situation.

i dont think they attach points here in ct either, at least they never have for me and the only reason i got fucked on the cell phone charge is that it was a crackdown bullshit thing. they werent cutting the charge only the fine. went from 150 to 50.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

This belt pkwy, along with its connections, is part of the most dangerous road network in the tri-state area. There are several stretches that post 50mph as the limit. I know it doesn't seem practical but it is safer driving not much higher than 55-60. I have seen folks do 90 plus and less than 40 and both situations are very dangerous on the belt. That being said I am sure the state prefers to post the lower limit to trap as many drivers as possible. Of course they cite safety as the main reason but we all know the higher fines are as much a reason for the lower limit.

Petro - plead NG and try to deal with the attorney at court. U will more than likely get the points reduced citing ur good driving record.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I drive the HOV lane everyday on the LIE along with the cross island and the hutch........ let me tell u folks it gets freaking dangerous at times with poor visibility, aggressive drivers, and lack of code enforcement. Many of our roads are not equipped to handle the number of cars, types of cars, driver tendencies, etc etc....
    I had one moron last week decide to use the HOV lane as a passing lane and cut in front of me, across the double white, not at the enter/exit areas. Even with quick reaction, I came real close to ending up in his backseat. I find it risky to drive above 55-60 in that lane because of assholes like that. I rarely see a traffic cop enforcing the hov lane, rarely. Can't tell u how many close calls I have seen on these roads - especially the Hutchinson pkwy.

Jets Esq. likes this.
  11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

nothing is scarier than going past a just occurred accident on the saw mill and seeing the traffic coming around the corner at 90mph.... scary shit.

12. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I would hire a NYC lawyer who does nothing but moving violation cases.

On NYS highways the speed limit is usually 55 mph (~90% of the time), but sometimes it randomly switches to 50 mph for no apparent reason. We have more cars crammed into fewer lanes, so 55 mph is the right limit for the highways here, IMO. Those Texas and Florida speed limits work okay in Texas and Florida, but if we had those limits here the highways would become deathtraps.

On the other hand, New York also has one of the lowest car accident death rates per mile driven in the nation; mostly because of our draconian speed limits. So it's not all downside.

13. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I have to admit I did go over 90 a few times on the Belt back in the day but never got pulled over :)

As for the ticket I received, I did plead not guilty and they scheduled my hearing for December of 2016 :) So, that's already 12 months out of the 18 that points would remain on my record...

14. JStokes

I don't think the points go on your license until your case has been adjudicated.

_

15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

That's correct but they run from the date of offense. So, if you got a ticket a month ago and they find you guilty today, the points will expire 18 months counting from a month ago, not from today. This is a big loophole that's exploited by all NYC traffic attorneys.

16. JStokes

Wow. Schedule ball sack surgery for next December, put the court date off another 6 months!

_

17. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

:) You can then postpone it once online - no questions asked. Then, if one wants to postpone again, they have to show up in person and present the judge with a "good reason" for another postponement. By that time the 18-month period has most likely already expired or is close to expiring. Not to mention that the cop could no longer be on the force, which would lead to an immediate case dismissal.