Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I dont get the De Aza signing for what they are billing it as. He is not a platoon guy at this point of his career. He's a backup LF. Which makes sense with Cuddyer's retirement.

To me Span isnt worth any type of contract. He'll get hurt again. Fowler or Parra would've made sense but Im still holding out that big move.

2. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

This franchise pisses me the fuck off....... We have a fuckin dynasty in the making and the goddamn, cheap fuckin Wilpons are shopping at the flea market for players........ This organization will never take winning seriously until those idiots sell the team.........!!!!!!!!!

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

We have a billion dollar rotation and are signing guys like De Aza. What. The. FUck

NYGalPal and Diabolical_Jet_Fan like this.
  4. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

This thing that really pisses me off is that you know when the time comes to pay the pitchers it ain't happening. They probably are only going to pay one of them. The window to win is only going to be but for so long, and they are blowing it. I've been mute on ownership, but if they aren't going to capitalize on this golden opportunity with the starting pitching. With the fan base being on a high after going to the World Series, then their inaction would be unforgivable.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. dawinner127

They better pay two of them. Thor and DeGrom are my two. It's insane to think that we have 4 or 5 guys who are on pennys compared to what they are going to make and worth a combined 800m+ and we are signing SCRUBS. Go sign a REAL ball player and try and win a ring within the next 3 years.

6. irishwhip03

I guess they are rolling with the mindset of "the pitching will get us to the trade deadline and we'll make our move then"

Only so many years thats gonna work out well though. No telling who will be available come July. And you'll have to give up another premium piece to get him.

The only positive offensively I can take out of this offseason, is we'll have a professional hitter in the lineup every game from Day 1 next season.

But we're basing too many unknowns with health (Wright, d'Arnaud, Lagares) and unproven players (Conforto) to be able to live up to expectations.

If we're going into the year with Grandy, Walker, Wright, Duda, Conforto, d'Arnaud, Lagares and Cabrera on a daily basis , its not the worst lineup but it certainly doesnt match up with the other top teams in the NL.

If thats the limit to what we got offensively , the team should atleast go out there and try to get a killer setup guy (Chapman) to bridge the gap to Familia.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Murphy to the Nats for 3 years.

Let him make errors for them. We get a draft pick

8. NYGalPal

Daniel Murphy signing with the Nats hurts me. Signed this only Murphy fan in this post.

9. irishwhip03

Figured once the Phillips trade fell apart that Murph was heading there.

3 year deal makes me think they gave him atleast 15 per.

Which isnt worth it.

10. NYGalPal

Next thing you know the Nats will sign Cespedes.

11. nyjetsmets89

Murphy gets a little over $12m per. Clearly the Mets are taking the cheap route. For that money I would have resigned him. Still, his defense is atrocious. Blah

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

12 mil, for a guy who hit a high of 14 HR this year is crazy, I know it's not fun to see the mets sit idly by, but while I don't want them to be cheap, I don't want them to be wasteful either.

My concern with the lineup would not be the lack of power hitters, it's situational hitting.

That's how the royals made it to back to back WS.

We have the pitching, can the mets acquire hitters who use the whole field and are tough outs who also play in their natural positions?

13. nyjetsmets89

Is Walker an upgrade on Murphy? Defensively and power hitting-wise, yes, but he strikes out at a higher clip than Murph and Murph sprays doubles all over the field. I really wish we went after Parra instead of giving almost $5 million to a guy who's gonna be DFA by July

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Unless you think that the NLDS and NLCS are harbingers for a fundamental change in Murphy's career, the numbers say that Walker is the better player, both offensively and defensively. That makes it hard to get upset about the Mets not re-signing Murphy. Cespedes (or someone like him) is another matter, although of course at this point we don't know what Cespedes wants (if he thinks he should be paid based on the seven weeks from July 27 to September 14 the Mets shouldn't even consider it).

Red Menace likes this.
  15. Red Menace

The Mets were at 2 games over .500 with Murphy in the lineup until Cespedes was brought into the fold.

He was the catalyst that propelled them into a NL lead that they would not give up.

Cespedes is the player that should be brought back, unfortunately they are
    are going to try and duplicate what they did last year.

Keep it close until the trading deadline then bring over a difference maker or two.

16. dawinner127

The thing is, the Mets caught lightning in a bottle with that Cespedes trade. Everything went perfect during that monster run we had in August. The odds of that happening again are so slim.

NYGalPal and Red Menace like this.
  17. Red Menace

I agree with you on everything. I despise this ownership and would love it if they sold the team. They are an embarrassment to baseball. It reminds me of the old Pirates organization when they would take advantage of loyal fans and put a terrible product on the field.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Span's the man. Hopefully they get him to play CF and lead off. Move Grandy down to stretch the lineup out. Legares makes an excellent depth Outfielder.

I'm not gonna compare last year to this upcoming year. It's two different animals.
    The main reason is that the Pitching Staff was still a question mark last year going in, and started to come together well into the season. That's when the moves were made. NOBODY knew last year what was gonna happen before the season with the pitching, and many of the players.

The Staff is ready to go from the start this year, with Thor and Matz from the get go, and Harvey proven that he's sound off the TJ surgery. And Familia taking over for the dumbass.... That was a question mark too.

Nobody knew d'Arnaud was gonna prove himself either.

Of course you also know now that Conforto is a player. Nobody knew that.

The lineup is already better going in, and I'll bet they add some players this winter.

We had to ride out the Coupons, but we're good now. And the system is stocked. They'll always be an anchor. The whole system had to be rebuilt and reformatted beacause of that

They're gonna be an early favorite ...watch. I'd love to see them grab Span and switch over to a more speed oriented team. He's a natural Leadoff guy too.

19. dawinner127

I just don't think we can count on Conforto being a 20+ HR guy yet. And who knows if Travis can stay healthy. Neither player has played a full season and I can see the season wearing down on a young guy like Conforto like it does to most 2nd year players.

irishwhip03 likes this.
  20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I don't know if Conforto's ever gonna be a 20 HR guy. But he's player. So's d'Arnaud. Nobody knew that last year going in. They picked up 30 HR's with Walker and Cabrara, and are much better up the middle now

Look, I love Cespy. I admit it. I got a man crush on him...lol. I admit it. I would love for them to sign him. But they won't.

It was kinda crushing to me because he's such a beautiful baseball player, and I coveted him so badly...going back to when he was with Oakland

It's just the way it is. But they're gonna win without him. They're much better right now than they were going into last year.

Not signing Cespy doesn't mean they're not gonna win or that they're making a mistake. Only time will tell how they'll be set up for sustained winning.

There's a bunch of teams in MLB now at the top of the heap that are not built around monster contracts. We lost to one in the World Series...with Cespy.

MLB has changed with the way things are being done. Even the Yankees aren't throwing money around anymore