Hard To Believe!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Dec 14, 2015.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Of course I'll be upset if they miss the playoffs, but if they go 10-6 or 11-5 and miss them, that's still a quality season, it's just bad luck. You make the playoffs 90% of the time when you get to 10 wins.

2. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

One thing that sets Bowles aside from Rex and Mangini is Bowles seems polished, iron jawed, and ready for prime time. Mangini tried to be this buttoned down disciplinarian but he came across like a 2nd rate Belichick and for all the "Mangenious" talk and there were a lot of games where he was just totally outcoached. And there seemed to be no connection with him and the players. He was a weird dude and not a leader of men.

Rex is a leader of men...but to where? He's buffoonish, never learns, doesn't know when to challenge, undisciplined...the list goes on and on and we don't need to rehash. Yes he can coach defense quite well BUT, even then his ego gets the best of him and too often he throws up risky blitzes and his D always gets burned in clutch time

Bowles I have faith in because he's buttoned up, no nonsense, and learned at the feet of some very good football men (Gibbs, Reid and Parcells) but he also passed through the GB org when Wolf/Holmgren was there I believe. This is not the buttfumble, hot-dog eating Jets anymore

This team is still a work in progress but it is coming together nicely at the right time. Honestly I think under Mangini or Rex we probably lose that Titans game.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  3. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I think it was just a savvy move on his part. First, potentially heading into the playoffs, he needs to know how his team will react in a situation like that. The Titans D is not that bad, so it was a good litmus test in a game that it most likely wouldn't hurt you if you came up short. Second, and I say this as the proud pop of a guard, it sends a clear message to the offense....and it fires them up big time. Solid move on Bowles part.

VaBchJet, NCJetsfan and LIJetsFan like this.
  4. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

+1.......100% This ain't your daddy's Jets. SOJ is dead. Deep down, I have not ever felt that we were out of a game this year.....not once. That's a BIG change from years past.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha yup. Kind of like 2002 when the Pats went 11-5 and got knocked out of the PO hunt by the Jets that year. Shit happens!

6. Footballgod214

Yup! Except those buttfumble, hot-dog eating Jets made the POs and 4 weeks later knocked the Pats out of the playoffs. So lets at least 'make' the POs before trashing all that was.

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

It is hard to say what other GM's would have done... although I'm sure, like you pointed out, everyone has their own approach. as far as Idzik being "cheap" I think thats unfair, he was more sticking to a 3 year plan that he only got 2 years into, i think if he stayed around he would have spent big this offseason, as was his plan. its also say he was cheap signing decker to a big deal or putting square pegs in round holes bringing in ivory. Idzik drafted horribly, and for that im glad he is gone, but i think given 50 million adn the #6 pick he'd have brought in similar talent. i also wouldnt say that trading up had we got mariotta would have been a bad thing.

Mac might have done better then anyone else would have done(short term results look great) but its hard to say if other approaches wouldnt have also improved us drastically. its hard to add 50 million in payroll and high draft picks and not improve a 4-12 team

8. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the last thing id call bowles is polished. his late game decisions, his teams sloppy play, certainly not polished.

he has been a good rookie coach, but this team lacks polish big time

Red Menace likes this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Agree but the last three games they seem to be jelling... last week was a good example where all three phases played well - I think its the 1st time this year they did that.

One more tidbit... We have 76 penalties all year long. Only the Steelers have committed less. What a difference a year makes.

#49 SOJAZ, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Gator

Gator Active Member

You're off by a couple of years.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True. We'll just have to agree to disagree regarding Idzik being cheap. So doing almost nothing to improve the team in FA in 2014 was part of his 3-year plan? Even if he failed to sign any of the better FA CBs when that was a dire need, there were other lower tier CBs that would have been better than Patterson, and he failed to address any of our other needs. At the very least, he could have added some depth at several positions.

Regarding whether he would have spent big this past off season, of course he would have, he would have had to. It was mandated by the league. Based on how he handled the previous 2 years of FA, do you have any real confidence that he would have done as well as Mac? I don't think he would have done nearly as well. I don't think Revis would have been back for starters. I doubt he would have signed Gilchrist or traded for Marshall. He may have been able to sign Carpenter, but it's hard for me to believe that he would have added Skrine or others, or signed Bullock or the former Pats WR whose name escapes me at the moment during the season. Signing Decker and Ivory, drafting Richardson and Pryor were the only good moves he made, and I'll give him credit, those were all great moves. Otherwise, his drafts pretty much sucked, especially the 2014 draft where he had 12 draft picks and pretty much came away with Pryor and Enunwa. Dozier may develop into depth, but he might not be on the team after this year. Winters is average or worse, and he could be gone next year. I don't think much of Bohanon at all. IMO he's wasted roster space. Reilly's decent, but is older and may never amount to much. Of course Milliner, McDougle and Amaro could develop under Bowles and his CS if they can toughen up and stay healthy, but each is a big question mark at this point. We certainly should have gotten more from #1, #2 and #3 draft picks.

If Idzik was still here and succeeded in trading up for Mariota, I would have been left speechless. I don't believe it ever would have happened. He had a chance to draft Teddy Bridgewater or Carr of Oakland and didn't. I believe that we still would have Geno at QB, and maybe another vet QB to backup, but doubt it would have been Fitz. I doubt we'd have Petty, either. For that matter, would we have Todd Bowles as HC? Doubtful, imo. Nothing about the way Idzik went about doing his job inspired any confidence in me that he would build a SB winner. He seemed in over his head, and was too slow and deliberate. I don't think he had a clue how to build a football team.

I agree that it's hard to add 50 million in payroll and high draft picks and not improve a 4-12 team, but I think that guys like Idzik, Tanny, Bradway, Millen, the former Bears GM who went to Tampa Bay I think (blanked on his name),a nd others certainly would have tried their best to not improve the team through their incompetence.

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Fwiw we never committed penalties or turned the ball over under Herm either...that didn't make him a good coach. Ultimately combining discipline with being a good x's and o's guy AND getting the most out of your players, that's the full equation. Bowles has had a few hiccups but ultimately I think he's the most complete coach we've had since Groh...who unfortunately cowered away to some worthless college gig in east bumblef*ck and was fired eventually.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm looking up some stats that dont seem correct at first glance, I'll have to look for a confirmation.

Looks like Jets are 2nd in the NFL in penalties per game, and 3rd in penalty yards per game. They are averaging 5.8 penalties per game, which is slightly behind Pitt, and 49.7 penalty yards per game which is only behind Arizona and San Francisco. Buffalo is worst in the NFL with 83.5 penalty yards per game.

I know they started the season ugly, but we have to give Bowles a decent amount of credit for this, right? I would guess early in the year these guys could still be on the "Rex" mentality. Over the course of the year this team has taken a very professional business as usual approach.

Honestly, over the course of the year, I cant think of many things that Bowles hasnt improved in:

- His Timeout usage has gotten way better. I recall that being an issue early on.
    - He's got a much tighter leash with guys who arent really performing. Davis losing snaps, Coples getting cut. He's sticking with Cro, but he'll probably be gone at the end of the year anyway.
    - Team is 8-5, with 3 of the 5 losses being games that the Jets always lose. (Philly, Oakland in Oakland, New England)

Love his mentality, and his approach. I want to see his mindset when approaching the offseason.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, exactly.

And while we are thanking everybody let's thank WJ and the 200 mil he spent this off season to make this team respectable, without that we would probably win 2 games all year.

15. Footballgod214

Whatever!

16. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Chan Gailey also has had some stinker games! Some brutally awful games..

But I agree, it won't mean shit unless we get to the playoffs.

TNJet likes this.
  17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If we get on a roll and have some help and the improbable happens, IK Enempali should get a SB ring from the Jet Organization. One can dream right? I am just glad that I don't cringe when our offense steps onto the field like the last several years.

MexicanJet likes this.
  18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, context and perspective. Thank you.

The current regime took over from a team in decline that just finished with a 4-12 record. While anyone running this team would have been able to spend a pile of money in FA, the previous one gave us no reason to have confidence they would spend it wisely, or make the other moves they should have. They did things like pass on David Carr in the draft because they were invested in Smith, and instead signed Vick while not giving him any real shot at running the team. A window dressing waste of his FA contract. Would they have even tried to go after someone like Fitzpatrick if they were still here? And at other positions, while the Ivory signing was a good one, as was Decker's, the Decker signing was not cheap. They also wasted other FA signings like Chris Johnson.

And it's not as if all the improvements to the team were achieved by throwing around a ton of money or other consideration. Top of the list of exhibits in that regard was the Marshall trade. Would Idzik have made that move? Unlikely.

I have concerns about where the Jets go from this season, especially on the OL, and as much as I like Fitz, he's no more than a short to perhaps medium term solution. But if the Jets can sustain this improvement, then the turnaround here this year can end up being a huge development in the history of this team, and that is not an overstatement.

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Guys, there is a huge chance, even if we win out (which I don't see, anyway) we can still miss the playoffs with an 11-5 record. I don't see the Chiefs or Steelers losing any games the rest of the way... It may take some sort of miracle for us to get in.. The games against the Eagles and Texans are fucking us right now...

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

NY JETS HAVE THE #1 RANKED RED ZONE DEFENSE AND #2 RANKED RED ZONE OFFENSE.

TOILET BOWLES? CHAN FAILEY? K...