Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It was a true team effort! The starting pitching could have been worse, they could have given up more runs. Thankfully, the relievers bailed them out with some big hits and the offense got some huge strikeouts to seal the deal.

2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Except that they'd gain a first round pick AND get an arguably better player by 'trading off' Murphy for Zobrist.

But now that looks moot since the Cubs are apparently hot and heavy in the mix and likely trading Castro to the Yankees of all teams to make room for Zobrist.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yup looks like Zobrist to Cubs.

_

4. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Cubs sign Zobrist for 4 years $56 million to play for Maddon.

I don't want to see us re-sign Murphy and endure all those defensive blunders.

Flores has a non-displaced ankle fracture. Expected to be ready for ST but who really knows with these doctors.

Apparently we're getting calls for Niese. I'd definitely trade him but he did seem to do okay as the lefty in the bullpen.

5. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Not very upset about losing out on Zobrist. Nice signing for the Cubbies short term but to give him 4 years would've been nuts.

Im ready to see Herrera at 2B but also wouldnt mind Neil Walker. He's very underrated.

I wonder if losing out on their "top target" pushes the Mets to look into the Cespedes market. Or lack thereof.

6. irishwhip03

I just dont understand the Cubs basically giving away Castro to the Yanks though.

I remember hearing that a Castro for Brett Gardner trade would make sense for both teams but all NY gave up was Adam Warren?

Give me a break.

7. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I don't think the Mets are going to resign Murphy. I have no idea what they are going to do. They seemed to have had tunnel vision on Zobrist. A little surprised at Theo Epstein. I mean Kendrick? I'd still take Murphy over him, and he ain't worth losing a draft pick for.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If it's a choice between Zobrist and Cespedes I'd prefer to have Cespedes back.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Walker is a really good player. I would be all for trading Neise for Walker. We also don't need Neise in the pen with Blevins coming back too

10. NYGalPal

Pending medicals what will probably end up being a 1 year rental, Walker for Niese. :(

11. nyjetsmets89

Anyone know how Walker's defense is? His offensive production is on par with Murphy's. I don't mind losing Niese as he was horrible as a starter down the stretch.

12. irishwhip03

One of my buddies is a Pirates fan and he says that the best way to describe every aspect of Walkers game is "solid"

Nothing's gonna wow us but he's a pro at the plate and in the field.

If he can match Murph's offensive production then it's an upgrade for us.

I'm glad we went this way instead of Zobrist...and Murph to some extent.

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. nyjetsmets89

Thanks for the input. Walker looks to be more of a power hitter than Murphy but may not hit as many doubles and strikes out at a higher clip, but that usually happens with long ball hitters. Walker jacked 23 in 2014. As long as he is average in the field it should help our pitchers tremendously and allow us to groom Herrera if Walker doesn't return after this year.

Can Herrera play SS? I don't think Flores is exactly ideal there because of his range but maybe he improves next year

14. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

And just to think, not long ago, the Cubs wanted one of ours studs for Castro and they gave him away for free........

15. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

I wished the Mets would have pursued, Bonifacio. Serious speed and can play every position in the field. Would have been good off the bench.
    Mets will probably target Cabrera for short and Fowler..........

16. NYGalPal

They save money on this deal. Neil/ Niese same money, and rid of Murphy( my dear sweet deep voiced Murphy who is a comparable) Don't get the Asdrubal Cabrera thing. Waste of money. "Of the 23 shortstops who played enough games to qualify in 2015, Cabrera had the worst range factor, by plenty." I think Flores is a better player. I'm not jumping for joy about any of these moves, unless the idea is to get marginally better, if at all.

17. irishwhip03

Read before that Walker has never hit fewer than 12 homers in his career so I'd say he's good for about 17-21 or so.

He does strikeout more than Murph but so do a lot of guys. He's a contact hitter so I dont think that will be much of a concern. Also like the fact that he is a switch.

I think Herrera would play more 3B on days that Wright will be out of the lineup or eventually take a DL trip. Walker has played a few games at third before but not in years. As long as we dont see anymore Eric Campbell I'll be happy.

Part of me kinda wants the Mets to go hard after Ian Desmond for SS. Even though he has some insane negatives for a guy thats gonna get close to 100 mil.

If they arent going to give Cespedes an offer and if Heyward is too expensive , it would make sense to spend the $$ somewhere on a guy that can add 25 homers to the lineup.

18. irishwhip03

I can understand them not wanting to deal with us considering we're bound to meet them in the playoffs again eventually.

But to give him away is one thing , to give him away to the Yankees is another. Castro is a steal not only because he's 26 and has had allstar seasons , but he's making less than 10 mil a year. So the salary dump excuse cant even be used here either. Just mind-boggling.

Cashman raped Theo in this one. Only thing I could think is , other than Chicago being higher on Reed and Baez , is that Starin is a clubhouse cancer.

I hope thats the case , atleast that would make some sense.

19. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

$18,500,000 a year for 2 years for Cabrera....... WOW!!!!!!!!

20. NYGalPal

A two-year, $18 million contract for him doesn't make sense to me. I'm thinking the Mets are going to end up trading Flores/Wheeler. Trading Wheeler wouldn't make sense because they traded Niese, but I'm starting to feel like they will.