The Article Is Not Out Yet But The Back Page Says It All

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Feb 18, 2006.

1. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

[​IMG]

BTW its 2:38 in the morning

2. l3ol3o

l3ol3o New Member

Well we are going to have alot of work to do this year. I doubt he could of done much this year anyway. Atleast we will have plently of room to sign FA's next year.

3. Brady IS Overrated

Brady IS Overrated New Member

Oh man... it could get ugly in a hurry. What a shame that things have come to this.

4. AlToon

AlToon Member

Good riddance Chad

The two sides still have 12 days to work out an agreement - the Jets want him to agree to an $8 million pay cut before a March 3 bonus deadline - but a person close to Pennington seemed resigned yesterday to the likelihood of the quarterback being released in the coming days.

"It looks like they're ready to move on," the person said of the Jets.

The moment of truth likely will occur next week, when GM Mike Tannenbaum and Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, are expected to meet at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. It will take a lot of bending from both sides to produce a reworked contract

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/392474p-332869c.html

See ya Chad

5. AlToon

AlToon Member

Mangini targets Cutler at #4

New coach Eric Mangini apparently wants to start fresh at quarterback, and there's growing speculation he is targeting Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler with his first-round pick (No. 4).

If they were to draft a quarterback in Round 1, and sign a stop-gap veteran (which they plan to do), the Jets could wind up with roughly $18 million of the cap devoted to quarterbacks. But Pennington would be off the books in 2007, when the rebuilding Jets figure to be more competitive.

Owner Woody Johnson has invested $22 million in Pennington over the last two seasons (16 games started), but he has placed his trust in Mangini and Tannenbaum to "set a new course," as he said last week

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/392474p-332869c.html

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i do believe this is the best route along with drafting His new long term Center in rd 2 or 3 .

but since its being speculated i guess cutler to the jets will never happen now.

7. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i hope we cut chad i wanna see what team is gonna pay more than the minimum for him. i have a very hard time believing he will be throwing ever again muchless next month

8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

It seems to me that ths move is for the best. While it pains me to think of watching a season of miserable football - it's what needs to be done. If anyone needs a reminder of what happens if you keep on bandaging a wound that needs to be stitched - look at the NY Knicks. It's time to eat it and blow up the whole team(cya later Fabini, Law, McCareins, Kendall and any other overpaid over-the-hill vets). If Chad won't take a cut then he can get cut. Good luck to him(he'll need it).

9. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I like Chad and think he can still be a good QB, but if you are going to start over, why start over with a fragile QB.

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What happen to all Penny's love for us? I giess money speaks louder then words

11. Drew

Drew Active Member

Wow. I can't believe it's really come down to this.

We were going to take the cap hit sooner or later, so it's best to get it over with considering we are rebuilding.

I wounder if I can get "Young" put on my Chad jersey.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

For everyone concerned, its time to cut the old ties and move on. Pennington probably will thrive somewhere else where there's less pressure and media attention. I can see him as a highly effective backup or perhaps a stop gap starter on a team without a QB. I just can't see him doin it at his present salary level or anything even close to it.

13. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

I hope they work out an agreement along the lines of say a $2 to $3 million salary for Chad. This would reduce the cap hit to $5 to $6 million and give us more room to work with. Then let him sit on the bench for all of 2006 and see what he has left in 2007.

14. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

That will only save us 3-4M. The key is that roster bonus. If Chad agrees to delay it, even a month, we'd have another month to negotiate.

He costs 2M more in 2007 to cut than to have on the team.

15. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

If we draft Cutler (2006 version of overrated Alex Smith) then it's hello 3-13 and another high draft pick next year.

16. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

Thanks for the memories CP!

Good luck backing-up Trent Green in KC. Kick Herm in the junk for me....

[​IMG]

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Usually I'm pretty right on with QB's and Cutler is no Alex Smith. He is the real deal. And I wouldn't expect much better than 3-13 next year. We are completely rebuilding the team

18. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

I've been saying all off season he would and should be gone. Never thought I'd hear myself say that, though. I just don't want a re-tread for the long haul or a temp fix. One as a back up till our draft pick is ready would be ideal, but....I would like to say that, although I feel he should be gone, I would have a huge problem watching him sign on with someone and play next year. Much less succeed. Not that I want him to fail but he was supposed to be OUR guy. This isn't like watching Santana do well or Farrior etc. This is Chad. Our Chad

19. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

He must really think he can get a starting job somewhere else. Im sorry Chad but you wont. Maybe someone desperate will roll the dice with you but it wont last. We have all seen how fragile he is, never had the arm strength, and now he should be worse off in that category. I dont know about you guys but I remember almsot every snap he took I was nervous......"Is he gonna get hit and fumble, or get hurt again," If you dont want to help the team then SEE YA!!!!

20. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Nice knowin you Chad.