It's Bryce Petty Time!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Aug 11, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm really glad you're a fan and not working for the Jets. Just because a QB isn't ready to play and his confidence can be damaged doesn't mean he's "weak minded." Going from college to the NFL is a big transition, especially for Petty because of the system he played in. It's not just about Petty, either. The other players have to have confidence in him. If he struggled, many stupid Jets fans would start booing him and saying he sucks. Why not give him every chance to succeed both on the field and with the fan base?

Even if it wouldn't hurt him mentally/emotionally, not having Mangold in there could get him seriously injured. Wanting to play Petty now is just flat out stupid.

2. BookEndTackles 72&79

If the organization is afraid to play Petty and the plan was NOT to play him at all this season no matter the circumstances then there is no excuse not to have another QB ready to play. They should have been carrying 4 QB's all along given Fitz' injury history and the fact that when they traded for him he still had a broken leg. No way Petty plays if Geno or Fitz can make it through the game but if not....put him in. Yeah, it might be too early but he's had half a season to learn the offense, work on his mechanics, read D's etc. He certainly would be green and not up to speed but it's up to the coaches to give him what he could handle and give him a simple package that gives him the best chance to succeed. He isn't going to be ruined by playing a game or two. Playing half a season might ruin him but an emergency stop gap fill in vs. the Jags shouldn't wreck his confidence and if it does then he isn't up to the task anyway.

3. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Wether I say it or not, most of the times I agree with you, you think almost the same way I do about our team but this time I don't agree. Playing Petty for just this one game is not bad. He'd be playing against the Jaguars at home, couldn't get any easier right in the middle of the season. If he plays, and that's a big if, I hope he plays at the very least ok, but this is the NFL and if he has a bad game I don't think it'll ruin him, it won't change his career a 180° and end up being worse than Josh Freeman just because this one game.

MiaJets305 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Thanks. It's cool that you don't agree this time. Think of how boring it would be if we always agreed! LOL

If Mangold and Ivory were healthy, then I might be inclined to agree that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for Petty to play a game. The thing is, they're not. The Jets' offense has relied on Ivory this season. If Ivory is still banged up and ineffective, do you have Petty throw the ball 40-50 times to generate some kind of offense? If so, with Mangold out and Dozier playing center, you're asking to get him killed. Do you really want to risk a kid who might be your franchise QB starting next season for 1 game? Is it worth the risk? Also, with an ineffective rushing attack and a suspect OL, you're pretty much guaranteeing that Petty will struggle and struggle badly. How's that going to help him? What will he learn from that? It's not the situation you want to thrust a rookie QB into, particularly one that's having to make the transition that Petty is.

The other problem is if he plays and plays pretty well, then what? If Fitz still can't play, do you play Petty again instead of Geno? What if Fitz and Geno still can't play the next week? Then you're playing Petty a 2nd, and maybe a 3rd game. If by some miracle he survives those games, plays pretty well and the Jets win them all, then what do you do when Fitz comes back? Do you bench Petty and start Fitz again, or bench Fitz? IMO you're potentially creating much worse problems than the Jets will face for the upcoming game. If they bring in Flynn, win or lose, they'll have no problem going back to Fitz when he's healthy, or maybe to Geno.

I think the best thing for all involved is to resist the temptation to play Petty and stick with their original plan to let him sit this year.

5. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

having your confidence damaged is literally the definition of weak minded, strong minded individuals do not ever have their confidence damaged. do you think joe namath or tom brady or joe montana or any other successful QB in the history of the NFL like that would have come out their rookie year and played poorly and then be "mentally damaged" and then not be able to reach their potential? no.

MiaJets305 likes this.
  6. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

if petty plays and plays well and they are winning then bowles will start petty... just like he started fitz because geno was hurt and kept him in because he was playing well and they were winning. not a problem, or a question.

EDIT: also the plan was not to sit him this year it was to play the best players on the team, he was not better smith or fitz there for he was sitting, if they cant play then he plays and hes winning games he will play. if he doesnt play and next year he evolves into a better player then smith and fitz he will start.

MiaJets305 likes this.
  7. MiaJets305

MiaJets305 Active Member

I totally agree with you, how can one game ruin a player AGAINST the Jags at home? Let him start because if he does he is going to make many flip flop real quick!

8. NCJetsfan

Without Mangold at center, he could be ruined physically. He could get killed or blindsided and have his rotator cuff or achilles tendon torn. Geno at least is more mobile, and even if he got crunched, I don't think anyone but a few Geno fans would be upset. Petty has a chance to be our future. I don't want to see that go down the drain because you've got a young kid playing center for the 2nd time in his life in front of him who wasn't even good enough to mount a serious challenge for a starting OG spot. I don't hate Geno, but in this instance, I'd rather shoot him up full of drugs and throw him out there and let him take a beating, than risk Petty.

9. NCJetsfan

You're wrong. The plan was DEFINITELY NOT for Petty to play this year. Both Bowles and Mac said that several times.

JetLifeLo and DoubleDecker87 like this.
  10. MiaJets305

MiaJets305 Active Member

what I find funny is that most that "worrying" about Petty being ruined by starting one game don't even believe he will amount to anything anyways, only one poster here has made it very clear he just doesn't want him to start because he think he's no good and that I can respect.....don't give me this Mangold aint starting so the kid is going to killed crap especially against the Jags!

11. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

Lol you honestly think Bowles and Mac would not play the best players they have ? You think if both of them thought that at this point in time petty was better then smith and fitz that he would still be benched because he has to sit for an arbitrary amount of time first? You are DEFINITELY WRONG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiaJets305 likes this.
  12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Again...

4th Round QB's
    2014- Logan Thomas - released after year 1
    2014 - Tom Savage - On IR
    2014- Ryan Nassib - Backup (TBD)
    2014 - Landry Jones - 3rd string
    2013- Matt Barkley - traded for a conditional 7th rounder after year 2
    2013 - Tyler Wilson - Released during rookie preseason, currently on 3rd different PS
    2012 - Kirk Cousins - Roller coaster
    2011- None
    2010 - Mike Kafka - Released after year 2
    2009 - Stephen McGee - Released after year 3
    08-06 - None

Stop setting up your dreams on Petty becoming the greatest QB of all time. He IS NOT a "franchise QB" in the making, he IS NOT a "prodigy." He "WILL NOT" dictate whether we draft/sign/trade for a QB this offseason. HE IS a 4th round rookie QB who can hopefully turn into a decent NFL QB, maybe a solid backup. If he turns out to be anything more it will be a great surprise and no one should be shocked if he ends up like 90% of 4th and later round QB's. I pray he doesn't play this Sunday because the dumbest fan base in the NFL (this one) will destroy him and act as if he was suppose to be the savior and if that doesn't happen after this game it will eventually, it always does.

macbk, legler82, BleedGreen89 and 2 others like this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you're a fan the best way to approach a Bryce Petty start this weekend is to have no expectations for it.

Just treat it like an emergency start dictated by injuries to two QB's and roll with whatever happens. That way if Petty does well it's all upside and if he doesn't do well, well that's the expectation of a 4th round rookie out of a spread offense who is making an emergency start. It's no reflection on him or his talent or the Jets ability to draft, because a 4th round draft pick is expected to turn into a decent backup QB and nothing else.

No expectations = no angst if things don't go as you have planned out in your head. Nobody would have booed Rocky Balboa for getting knocked out in the first round by Apollo Creed because that was the expected result. Don't boo the Jets for putting Petty on the field in an emergency.

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  14. MiaJets305

MiaJets305 Active Member

how many first round, second round and third round players end up being bust? wtf we are now saying that Bryce will be a failure due to where he was drafted? we traded up for him for a reason and before the draft many thought he would go first round so please stop with "since he was drafted in the fourth automatic he is going to fail" man some posters here have no faith at all and this coming from a 30 plus year fan who has seen it all and still believe we can get it right someday instead of turning against team!

15. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Who is saying he will be a failure????

The only thing people are saying around here is that he is going to be a franchise savior. NO ONE said he was going 1st round, that is hilarious and even if they did he went 4th and that's all that matters. You need to do your research before spouting off something like that. No one is saying he will fail because he was drafted in the 4th round that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If that was the case there would be no point in drafting a QB at all. The people who actually understand are telling the ones who don't to calm their expectations and let it play out. There is NO reason to EXPECT him to turn into a franchise QB. That also doesn't mean he won't turn into one but for now the expections need come back to earth.

#635 DoubleDecker87, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Mark Brunell 5th Rd Multiple Pro Bowl Seasons
    Rich Gannon 4th Rd Multiple Pro Bowl Seasons
    Brad Johnson 9th Rd Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, etc.
    Matt Hasselbeck 6th Rd Multiple Pro Bowl Seasons, Super Bowl appearance
    Mark Rypien 5th Rd MVP in Super Bowl Win, Pro Bowl appearance
    Joe Theismann 4th Rd Two Super Bowls appearances with one win
    Bart Starr, Staubach, Brady

No one has claimed he is going to be the best of all time, no one claimed he is a prodigy. Most realize he is a developmental QB and at this point there is no way to know how his career will end up but your posting of 4th round mostly flop QBs is just as useful as my posting of late round QBs that were successful.

17. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

The bottom line on Petty is that there is no downside. The bar is low, nobody expects him to do anything. If he shits the bed he goes back to the bench and he'll be no worse off, with some invaluable real game experience under his belt. The circumstances are almost as good as they get (if the Jets weren't coming off a shitty loss). They have an OL that has given up the fewest sacks in the league, and are playing a lower end team in Jacksonville that doesn't have a ferocious pass rush. I for one am looking forward to seeing what he can do Sunday. Let's just hope Marshall is healthy.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Agree with everything except the bold. It will be a reflection of what and where he is presently but not necessarily a reflection of what and where he will be in the future.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Young QB's generally have issues in their first few starts no matter what the talent level is. They look slow and confused at times and they make throws they shouldn't or sometimes can't pull the trigger on throws they have to make. That's just normal.

Petty could look hopelessly overmatched on Sunday and it wouldn't say anything about his talent level moving forward.

This is part of the problem with throwing a young QB on the field. It's why you should only do it in an emergency unless you know the guy is special.

I'm going to be rooting hard for Petty if he hits the field but I also know that anything bad that happens is likely just a reflection of the fact that he isn't ready yet and may never be. The disappointments that I feel are going to all be on me. If I'm booing I'm booing myself for being an idiot and expecting more than a bottom drawer result.