"Todd Bowles: From Apprentice to Master"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Great read in SI's MMQB (Monday Morning Quarterback) published today about Todd Bowles' rise to being a head coach in the NFL, including a lot of influences along the way. Lots of praise drawn from well respected sources. I think he might stick around for a while.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/21/nfl-new-york-jets-todd-bowles

(too long to post text in thread)

#1 Big Cat, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. max

max Active Member

Just read the article and was going to post it, but you beat me to the punch.

Anyway, really good quick read.

Interesting things from the article I didn't know

1. Todd flips over tables
    2. Warned Jets players about the eagles running the wheel route before the game.
    3. He won a superbowl
    4. He once stopped a practice when he was interim HC of miami and made them start over because they weren't practicing hard enough.
    5. We've outscored teams 34-0 in the 3rd quarter this year. (gotta love those half time adjustments)

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

My favorite was that he was in his office preparing his game plan for week 3 at 4:30 in the morning the day after beating the Colts on Monday night football. Unbelievable.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  4. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

Just wonderful.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It gotta gives you chills thinking about the potential of keeping a coach around for a decade. We've read many similar articles about Herm, Mangini and Rex but Bowles feels a bit different than at least Rex and Herm because of the structure he seems to provide the team with and the fact that he really seems like he's the ultimate general of the team rather than a cheerleader or a dictator. He seems to have respect.

The other thing I liked is how they noted he does in fact get angry and emotional. He's so cool and calm on both the sidelines and in the media because that's the way a coach keeps a team composed, and away from boneheaded penalties or the 12 men on the field penalties or sideline warnings.

Hopefully we've found our guy and even after a successful first year, maybe a down second or third year, Woody won't show a quick hook if he's "the" guy.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's great, but we don't want him to burn out, or wind up getting divorced, which might affect his coaching. I'd love to see him coach the team until he retires, which means he needs to pace himself a little better.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I haven't read the article...don't need to.

This guy Bowles is something special.

What's the old saying?...even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while?

We found us a nut.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It seems to me that Bowles style of coaching is much more sustainable than Rex's or Mangini's or even Herm's. Herm and Rex were emotional motivators and that in itself has a built in shelf life. At some point, the emotional rollercoaster ride has to stop. Mangini's Belichek Lite act wore thin on just about everyone. It was almost as if he was trying too hard to be Belichek and not hard enough to be Mangini. Rex? another emotional motivator that was effective when it was new. It resulted in back to back AFCCG appearances. It also resulted in back to back AFCCG losses. The Jets were on such a high when they beat the Pat in Foxborough that they had nothing in reserve for Pittsburgh the following week. From that point on, it was a downward glide slope to 2014 which as we all know, was the end of the line for Rex here. You can still see the Rex Effect up in Buffalo. Bowles otoh, is the right coach for this team right now and for the foreseeable future. Instead of an emotional plea to get his players up for a game, he's instilled a professional outlook that doesn't place one game above another. If you approach every game with the same intensity, it becomes second nature to do this and as such, carries over week in and week out no matter the opponent. His philosophy is simply, concentrate on the Jets and the rest will take care of itself.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I think this coaching staff has the potential to be here a long time, assuming none of the key pieces have aspirations of being a head coach somewhere. I think Chan will stay put as an OC, I don't see him trying to be a HC again anywhere.
    I don't know if Kacy Rodgers has HC aspirations any time soon, I think he's a perfect fit where he is but who knows what his personal aspiration is.
    Why do I think they could be here for a very long time? Each of these men have shown that they adapt their schemes based on the personnel they have rather than trying to fit the personnel they have in to a specific scheme, the latter generally doesn't work well in the long run.
    Of course they have their preferences as to the types of players they prefer but I think one of Rex's biggest shortfallings as a HC was that he wasn't particularly adaptable, rather than adapt schemes to the personnel he usually tried to force a square peg in to a round hole...

It will be interesting to see how they build the team long term, I see this team getting a lot faster over the next few years breaking away from Rex's more 'old school' style of big and not so quick defenders in the front 7.

10. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I like a lot of what I've seen from the new CS but this is the NFL and fair or not, the CS will only be around but so long without a franchise QB. Chan will be the first casualty down the road if thing go sour.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Good read, thanks.

12. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

I was about to give you serious respect about the InkMaster reference, then i saw the title of the article. Great read.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is a good post.

With Rex it's almost as if there's no end game with him. You take one game at a time but the coach has to keep it in perspective in terms of emotional highs and lows. Whenever we'd beat a good team in general playoffs or not the team had nothing left.

2013 is a good example. Beat NE, play terrible vs. Cincy. Beat the Saints, get blown out by Buffalo. That season is a microcosm for how his seasons are always going to go if he doesn't have an above average roster because it's not sustained success. His teams can be really good in years where the talent outweighs a lot of the league. In years that the talent is middle of the road, expect the team to vastly underperform. There's no reason we shouldn't have been a playoff team in either 2011 or 2012.

In terms of Bowles, he seems level-headed and in perspective game to game week to week combined with an X's and O's background. I was worried about the young defenders transitioning from Rex to another coach and thank god we didn't go with a dictator like Marrone. They would've revolted.

14. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

great read. love how bowles saves the fire and the general coaching tirades for behind closed doors, where they matter, instead of in public like rex did. the even keeled attitude in public is a large reason we arent being looked at as the same old jets anymore (at least for now. i know its still early). and those halftime adjustments and the stats that back them up are amazing. thats what makes you a next level team instead of a flash in the pan like we were in 09-10

15. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Great read. This was my favorite:

<<There’s a Parcells truism that Bowles has internalized: Don’t tell me about the pain, just deliver the baby. In other words, if you’ve got problems, I don’t want to hear about them, just get it fixed. Wherever he coached, Parcells was always the boss, so it’s as close to mushy as Parcells gets when he says of Bowles, “He’s the boss, too.”>>

We see this week in and week out with this guy. Love it.

Walt White likes this.
  16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Bottom line... we were "leaderless" we are not now.. as others have stated, he has structured the environment to be professional, even keeled and to play through adversity, i.e., see Philly and Wash games... we almost came came back to beat Philly and it was that mid set that beat Wash after we turned over the ball 3 times....

WE may not make the playoffs or beat NE but I have to tell you I love what I see from the HC on down to the players...that includes the FO now! Guys we are headed in the right direction be happy :)

SonofDinger likes this.
  17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Not if Woody is smar....uh wait, nevermind.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I read this article last night and liked it, although it was an obvious Parcells ego massage as facilitated by the asswipe that owns the site.

It gave a lot of insight into Bowles, since TB isn't the egomaniac that one of his mentors (Parcells) is. I'd rather read an entire article about the thoughts of Joe Gibbs on Bowles, but I think Gibbs' personality is far closer to Bowles. He just doesn't do ego pieces.

Bill P may have changed the culture and gotten us close, but he is also singularly responsible for the cap hell we endured in the early 2000s, the Belichick hire in NE, and has taken credit for advice given on the hires of Herm Edwards, Terry Bradway, Tony Sparano, and probably some others.

I think it probably offended him that he couldn't take credit for the Bowles hire...

SO HERE'S AN ARTICLE ABOUT HOW HE GIVES BOWLES ADVICE ALL THE TIME.

Fuck Bill Parcells.

#18 abyzmul, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  19. NCJetsfan

I agree to an extent. The toll won't be an emotional one, but rather a physical one, if he continually burns the candle at both ends, such as working on the next Sunday's game plan at 4:30 AM following a Monday night game.

20. NCJetsfan

While that is generally true, I think in this situation it might be a little different. Of course fans are impatient, but if Mac continues to build a deep, quality roster, and the Jets are a perennial 10 win team who makes the playoffs or is in the hunt every year, I would think that would buy them both more time than normal with Woody. After all, there's only so much a GM can do to find a quality starting QB. To begin with, there has to be one worth drafting, trading for, or signing as a FA. If there's not, he can't make one magically appear. Even if one comes along, but the other team isn't willing to trade regardless of what Mac offers, there's nothing he can do. At some point you have to recognize reality and look at the job he's done and is doing overall and not just look at the QB position.