Revis 60 minutes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Oct 19, 2015.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Looks like the honeymoon is over.

Btw I called this guy as Revis' Turtle in 2010.

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

uhhh wtf is this ?

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

John Geiger coming off real sour. He says he got pushed out, I wonder why. Guy doesn't strike me as someone you would want managing your career.

Let's also not forget this guy made fake Nike shoes and charged about $600 a pair.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Anybody catch Survivor's Remorse?

Sport has a weird dynamic sometimes.

5. abyzmul

I finally watched the 60mins segment, and as much of a Revis fan as I can be, I found it unsettling.

Almost the entire thing was about him making money, with a little football and family thrown in. It was like an infomercial telling you why he and his people negotiate the way they do.

While I was watching it, it occurred to me that he's playing differently than he used to. In his best season, he did have some picks, but it was mostly Revis PDing the receivers to death. And he lost DPOY because his stats weren't good enough.

That quote "I think the stats speak for themselves" isn't an accident, imo. He's playing for another holdout. So far he has accounted for 6 turnovers. The way he plays is different.

2009-2011 Revis would have been right in the face of Pierre Garcon at the goal line and never let Cousins get a clean look, but Revis gave him a gap and wanted to read the play and read it wrong. He got shook out of his shoes. I don't think that'll happen very often, but it's telling how different he plays now. He wants the stats that will get him the most suitors.

He's not playing to stop the receiver anymore, he's playing to get the turnover. Turnovers pay better.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What are you saying...that he's baiting qb's?

C'mon...

7. abyzmul

I'm saying he's playing his game more geared toward turnovers than just shutting down receivers. Please tell me you haven't ignored the way he's given more cushion to receivers.

At first, I thought he had fallen off his game a bit because of the knee, but then he'd lock a guy down like he used to, it didn't make sense to me.

He's playing more for the money stats now and its paying off. But he also gives you more receptions than he ever would have allowed previously. He's absolutely baiting.

You don't overcome the legendary master businessman of cornerbacks without learning a few lessons in the process.

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Does he post here?

_

9. abyzmul

I tried, he didn't bite. Got Kyle Wilson's brother, though.

The small victories.

10. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

He's also older and slower. I'm sure there are strong, fast WRs that would blow by him if he didn't give more of a cushion. His career has always been defined by his perfect technique (especially in press coverage), his work ethic and study, and his football smarts.

11. abyzmul

There was nothing about that Garcon touchdown that could have ended up with a receiver blowing by him.

And there has never been anything about his coverage game that was him relying on elite speed. It's always been about him dominating them at the LOS and then trying to recover their route.

When he went to the Pats, he began changing his coverage technique. He'd play lateral and change their route, but he'd also give the route a cushion when he was in stride.

He's playing the QB now, not the receiver.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who is John Geiger? 60 minutes did a good job in making Revis look a lot less greedy and making him look more likeable.

13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

You didn't realize this before when he held out every other season and changed teams three times in the last three years?

Business is one thing but Revis doesn't even try to hide the fact he's a merc, which is a bit annoying even if transparent. Plus at what point does business cross over into just being a douche (a la Kam Chancellor earlier this year trying to renegotiate a four-year deal after 'one' season)?

14. abyzmul

Geiger is Turtle.

15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Maybe with casual fans the turnovers count more but real NFL front office people realize the greatness of the Revis Island season....so kinda disagree there

He might be playing differently but I don't think it's for turnovers specifically....He's slightly less of an athlete than he used to be due to age and the injury but might be more experienced in reading QBs.

16. abyzmul

I love the way he played before. The turnovers didn't mean shit to me, he was the best corner in NFL history in 2009, imo.

You think I'm a casual fan? Really?

Look at the way he's playing now. Only a casual fan wouldn't see the difference. It's not a matter of speed or agility, he shows far less again and much more patience, and his comments about stats are telling.

17. King Koopa

LOL I didn't mean you as a casual fan at all.....I meant casual fans look at turnovers as the end all be all. The people paying the contracts and fans that understand the game realize that shutting down receivers like he did in 2009 is way more impressive than getting a few more INTs

He is playing differently now because he's not as athletic as he used to be and can't constantly press guys.....more turnovers are a by product of playing this way. Hard to say if it's because he wants to get more turnovers or if it's because he's lost a half a step from 2009

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He's not gonna be the guy he was in '09....It's natural for him to change and adjust his game.

Turnovers are a good thing btw., and TB may very well have something to do with it. He's also been injured

Jake likes this.
  19. abyzmul

Dammit, you quoted me before I could bow to my better judgment and edit out the Suck a dick part. :) You didn't deserve that.

I agree that he's not as athletic as he was, but he's plenty athletic, two of his three picks have been some very impressive feats of athleticism.

We're both theorizing why he is playing the way he does, but my theory comes from his words and attitude.

20. King Koopa

No worries dude haha....You might be right but like the guy above said, it's not really a bad thing....2009 vs. this season he's still playing great, just in a different style

I'm sure if Bowles tells him during specific assignments/games we need you to press this WR every play, he'll be fine doing it. I'm ok with him getting a few more picks if it means letting up a few more completions underneath in other games as long as he shuts down when we really need it