2016 is the Year of QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TouchyFeely, Jan 21, 2015.

1. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

There are a lot of factors we don't know about that will dictate that. From a pure talent standpoint, yes. However, the QBs worth anything are usually handpicked after being highly scouted by teams in the top 10-15. The only way they fall is if teams have second thoughts on them, if they don't fit their philosophy and scheme as a team or if they have big time character issues.

Right now the quarterbacks to keep an eye on are, in no particular order:
    Jared Goff
    Connor Cook
    Cardale Jones
    Kevin Hogan
    Cody Kessler
    Paxton Lynch
    Jacoby Brissett
    Christian Hackenberg

Then you have the Doughty's etc who are quite frankly mysteries.

And don't get me wrong, the majority of the QBs I named won't sniff round 1, let alone the top 10-15, but ultimately it depends how teams feel about them and how they think other teams feel about them.

Furthermore, a few of those names can go back to school for a year. Goff would probably be the consensus top QB in next year's draft (he's quietly improved every year so far, as well as put on weight), while Hackenberg seems to finally be getting back on track, he may need another year of solid production and development (something he hasn't done since coming into college) to convince teams that he's worth anything.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why keep an eye on them when by the time we pick any of them that are any good will be long gone?

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Teams that reach for a QB in the first or even second round next year will get what they deserve.

What teams who reached for a QB in 2013 got.

_

4. TouchyFeely

There are very few slam dunk QB prospects ANY year, if any. You may get 1-2 every 5-10 years, who you're positive can become a solid pro. And even so, every prospect has negatives (even Luck) that may hinder their development. The real success in QB drafting comes in picking the right QB for your team and developing them the right way. A quarterback that'll do good for Chip Kellys offense in Philly isn't necessarily the right quarterback for the Jets, etc.

To be honest, I think last year's pick of Petty says a lot about what the Jets want. Good size, strong arm, pocket passer who can move and extend. The only thing he's missing is moving through progressions whilst reading the D post snap, which is extremely important in the NFL. Thats why he fell to the fourth, and we picked him because the coaching staff thought they could teach him.

In the meantime, if they find a prospect they like more than Pettys chance at developing those skills, they'll likely try to pick him up.

That's why you keep an eye on them. Specifically the guys who don't have big name value like Cook, Goff, Hack etc. The draft is tricky, everyone looking for something different.

If you don't keep an eye on potential QBs you might as well sit with why you have every year despite not liking your QB situation.

almbleamal, ajax and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll look forward to seeing him play again. I know that one half of a game isn't enough to judge him or any player. I know that Utah is very good.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Excellent post.

The post-snap is really an important aspect and one of the things spread QBs don't really do in college. Mariota, while he has shown the ability to make really great throws at the next level, has had his struggles in the post-snap category in the NFL. A lot of his throws have been pre-snap throws and to an extent have been predetermined prior to the snap.

I think Goff has had some issues doing this as well, he's forced some throws, but if you can look at the flaws some of these QBs have and fix them via coaching, they can be your potential answer at the QB position.

#306 101GangGreen101, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Blake Bortles would be the #1 QB drafted again in 2016.

8. Shemy

Shemy Member

Being a Memphis Tigers alumni, gotta throw out love to Paxton Lynch, dude has been killing it and now has beaten Ole Miss, another great game where he threw for a near 400 yds and threw his first pick of the season and it wasn't even his fault as the WR tipped it up

6'7, has a arm, and very mobile for his size

9. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Barely saw his game today, but he looks like Flacco.

Br4d likes this.
  10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

There is no one in this upcoming draft whom I'd blow a first round pick on. I'm not thrilled with any college QBs.

11. Br4d

I was kind of thinking that too off of the highlights. I'm not going to watch his complete games until we get closer to the draft. It's too easy to get caught up in the hype on a college QB early in his 3rd or 4th season.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Cardale and Hackenberg should stay their senior years. Cardale doesn't even look like a day 2 pick.

Br4d likes this.
  13. Br4d

At this point in the season nobody looks like a surefire 1st round pick, let alone a top 10 guy. Usually that means that 1 guy will get reached for in the top 10 and somebody else will go in the 20's.

Matty Jets likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

pool is definitely thin. I think Cook is the best prospect, but he's not a top 10 pick. Someone will take him early - Jets hopefully look at offensive line, and linebacker - as so far those look to be the weak positions

15. Br4d

20's is a great place to draft guards and ILB's. It's not a bad place to draft a QB either as long as you have somebody to keep his butt pinned to the bench the first year.

Matty Jets likes this.
  16. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Matt Ryan 2.0, isn't worth a first round pick?

17. TouchyFeely

If we can get Myles Jack as a cover linebacker mid to late first, that would be lovely.we need to start thinking about our o-line too, its an old unit. I also like what I'm seeing from Josh Doctson, but it seems like studs are coming out at WR every year now and we don't know what we have with Devin Smith yet.

We have a solid roster, now we need to get similar production out of younger guys and slowly fade out the dinosaurs.

Matty Jets likes this.
  18. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

I think Matt Ryan is good, but he's not good enough to overcome their team weaknesses. The Jets advanced deeper into the playoffs with Mark Sanchez.

Maybe we get lucky and don't have to trade up for QB. And as mediocre QBs go early then we just grab the best value.

Predicting franchise QBs is not an easy task. Is there one in this draft and if there is, then he's going No. 1 which eliminates us.

Br4d likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

If you can hit on a draft pick in the 20s - it's a win either way in my opinion Wherever it be G, ILB or QB. Depending on the QB, you might not even need to sit him down - it all depends on the skillset

20. 101GangGreen101

No necessarily true. A hard task yes, but the best QB isn't always the first one chosen. To say you can't find an average to above average QB after #1 is a short-minded in my opinion. What's to say you can't find a quality QB in the teens to end of the first round? To me, it's all about skill-sets and what they can bring to the table as a prospect