Bye Week Analysis: Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Studs:

Chris Ivory - I knew he was gonna be good, but I now consider him to be a top 10 runningback (maybe around #6-7 back in the league). He's a critical part of the offense.

Brandon Marshall - He exceeded my expectations. He had a down season last year and is getting old, so I thought he was gonna be a dud this year. Absolutely happy with him. YAC.

Eric Decker - A redzone stud. Say what you want about Geno's arm being better than Fitzpatrick's....Fitzpatrick is better in the redzone. He delivers the ball quickly and throws it where it needs to be to either Decker or Marshall.

Marcus Williams - It's only a matter of time before he starts somewhere on defense. He has 2 INTs already (tied with Revis for most on the team) in only a limited number of snaps. That coverage on his INT during the MIA game was probably some of the best coverage I've seen.

Buster Skrine - The Buster skrine edge blitz is probably the strongest blitz in the NFL right now. Not only is one of the best nickel coverage corners, he is a huge part of putting pressure on the QB and forcing turnovers.

Duds:

Antonio Cromartie -
    I'm sorry to break it to you, but he's just not that good. He gets beat a ton and is one the weakest links in the secondary. There was one PD he had where he was cleanly beat but his lengthy arms allowed him to swat the ball. That was probably his best play this season so far, but he can't rely on that all the time. Sooner or later he's going to have to buckle his coverage up or give the job to Marcus Williams. Look, CRO is old and he's injured...we all remember how an injured CRO looked during that 2013 season. He was beat on almost every deep bomb. It hasn't shown up yet, but sooner or later, that's going to hurt us.

Jeremy Kerley - Granted, this one is mostly because he's not being given a ton of playing time. I think he's a great player, but he's just not built for this offense. It's not so much that he can't succeed in it (I like what I saw from him vs. the Eagles), but the Marshall, Decker, Devin Smith combo is a nightmare to deal with for CBs. He has his uses, but right now he's not worth his contract.

Quinton Coples - Quinton who? I literally don't remember seeing him on the field this season. I doubt he stays next year unless he puts up quite the performance in the second half of the season.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys I'm pleasantly surprised by: Marcus Gilchrist, Brian Winters, James Carpenter, Dion Bailey, Calvin Pryor, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Leger Douzable.

Guys who we all expected to be good and have delivered: Darelle Revis, Muhammed Wilkerson, Snacks Harrison, Leonard Williams, David Harris, Nick Mangold.

Guys who have been Up and Down: Demario Davis, Lorenzo Mauldin, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Quincy Enunwa, Devin Smith, Zac Stacy

2. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I kinda feel bad for Kerley and Coples. They're good players just stuck in bad situations. Coples is a lineman and there's no room for him on our team with the all star defensive lineman we have.
    Kerley is a slot receiver but he's not better than Decker. He needs a new team too.

As for Cromartie - who are you sorry to break the news to? Every Jets fan knows he isn't good.

Red Menace and JetLifeLo like this.
  3. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Umm Cromartie has broken up a few Passes that go for long gains were it last year's secondary.

Not sure why he gets all the flack from Jets fans. He's been Cromartie (you take the good with the bad)

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Kerley had a good game against the Eagles.

Don't get why he can't be the slot-#3 receiver. He's by far the 3rd best receiver after Marshall and Decker. He isn't elite, but he's a very good player in this league.

The 1985er likes this.
  5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Studs: Marshall, Decker, Ivory, Revis, Wilkerson, Skrine

Duds: Coples, Quigley, Bohannon

Buds:Richardson

MikeJetsWord, IDFjet, Dom and 3 others like this.
  6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Coples disappoints me to no end. I've never been a huge fan of his , but you would expect a guy with 1st round talent to be killing it in this defense with what they are asking him to do.

And he's just flat out invisible at most times.

As good as the defense is imagine what it would look like if he had lived up to his potential.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You really need to back off Cro and Kerley. We're VERY lucky to have both.

TNJet likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

All you have to do is read this forum for 5 minutes to know that's not true.

Not sure where the Cro fanboyism comes from, but it's been there since he was first picked up in 2010.

9. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

He's playing out of position and not getting many snaps. 15 against the Dolphins. I think we should try trading him for Bennet.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think Ivory is a top five back right now.

Only guys I'd take over him are Charles, Bell, Murray, and Peterson.

11. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Not even Lynch???

Ivory is a beast, just wish he could be a 3 down back and be proficient in pass protection and catching the ball.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not right now, no. Injuries and looks like he's falling apart

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think we should look to deal Couples this year as I think it would be the perfect timing. He is signed through 2016 so there's enough time left on his current contract, he still is a pretty decent pass rusher in the right system, and he's still young. While he doesn't live up to his 1st rounder status, I'd be hopeful for a 2nd or 3rd and maybe something we need depth at like center or tight end.

I doubt we'd get much for Kerley as guys like him are current a dime a dozen in the league. I could see a few teams like the Colts or Ravens being interested, but it would have to be for the right price.

almbleamal and TNJet like this.
  14. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Well like Kerley , the new regime has zero ties to him. The only reason he's probably still here is because of our lack of depth at LB.

Even still he doesnt look like he's being asked to do much pass rushing. Which is strange. Not that he has proved in the past that he could.

He's probably destined for Buffalo after this season.

15. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

No chance in hell we get a 2nd or 3rd for Coples. I can see him being dealt next year for like a 6th. He just doesn't fit on the team so you might as well get something for him.

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Kerley is hardly a great player. He is a serviceable slot guy who just is not big enough to make any real impact. Mauldin is a rookie coming off a serious concussion. Right now they are looking for QB pressures from him. Not much else. Other than that I think you are spot on.

17. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Didn't see any "downs" with Mauldin, he's a rookie who got injured and playing very limited snaps. Considering his situation he's doing well. Didn't really see him make any mistakes, except for him missing sacks I guess, he has to clean that up but he's learning.

The best players IMO have been Ivory, Marshall, Carpenter and Decker on offense. On defense you have to mention Mo, Harris of course and Gilchrist. The other guys are sort of playing well (Pryor, Leo) or as expected (Revis, Snacks). Marcus Williams and TJ Barnes are two future starters, it's just a matter of when they get their shot. Marcus probably takes over next year for Cro, and TJ might take over for Snacks next year.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm not a Cro fanboy...but having seen him on the field (with the Chargers), and spending a day filming him in action (for a sport drink video)...his level of athleticism was on another level from the players around him. Very impressive.

But that was then. His lack of technique, heart, and football smarts have caught up with him now that time has caught up with him.

Red Menace and abyzmul like this.
  19. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a lack of intelligence or football smarts with Cro. He's very experienced, he studies a lot, but just like Ed Reed did late in his career he gambles a lot, he's freelancing when he thinks he knows what's coming based on studying tape and the tendecies he picked up on QB's, he will play routes a certain way, jump routes at certain times instead of playing the coverage he should play, instead of covering the receiver the way he's supposed to. So that's a risk he takes and it leads to him blowing coverages a lot, same as Ed Reed. Only difference really is that Ed Reed was really good at it, even late in his career. Cro is not great at it. He's good enough to make some plays every once in a while, but it really isn't worth it. I wish he'd just stick with the coverages we play and stick with the technique he's supposed to play with. If he finishes with zero picks I really don't care, just cover your guy. Don't be a liability.

20. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I feel like the entire Tight End corps should be a dud. They've been awful.