Coples stinks as LB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 22, 2015.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Giants come to mind. They love guys like him. He may succeed well there too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

To be fair, people could say the exact same thing about Leonard Williams. Sometimes the "luxary pick" is also the BPA. When the pick turns out to be good, its considered a genius move. When the pick turns out bad, its considered a terrible move.

Coples wasn't a "luxary pick." He just clearly wasn't BPA.

3. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

With Q Coples ..
    The pre draft consensus was on the money across the board. Too bad Tanny didn't see it ... bottom line, NO HEART, NO MOTOR. Disappears for long stretches. Exactly as advertised. It's too bad he has talent but this Leopard ain't changing its spots. Peace out this year and for now Skrine of all ppl is a superior outside Blitzer. Maybe even more of Mauldin.

Off subject but not really ... guys, just IMAGINE if this team had a legit pass rush threat at OLB. Oh crap! Really, too bad they whiffed on Chandler Jones and took Coples at the time. I said when it happened that Jones was the better pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Coples isn't an OLB....

I do think he's prone to disappearing for stretches here and there, but the man is a d-lineman.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Fair enough ... but he plays OLB... if he is SUCH a dlineman and can't play effective OLB he should be benched. Dude all our OLBs are invisible ... Pace, he is so done. He is being kept on the roster out of veteran respect and charity. He generates zero pass rush threat. Opposing offenses have no OLB to game plan for. Just imagine ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

6. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I think Mauldin can be legit at OLB, just has to hope he has a clean bill of health.

Red Menace and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I remember Rex working Coples out prior to the draft, putting him through some LB drills and then chuckling and saying 'I think I just made this guy a lot of money.' Rex thought he could see an OLB in Coples.

Looks like he was wrong.

ajax and wewantsapp like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be much of a problem whether they're linebackers or lineman upcoming with Richardson returning.

Our 3rd and long line defensive line should be Leonard Williams, S Richardson, Wilk and take your pick of Mauldin/Coples/Reilly/Pace. It doesn't seem to be a huge issue at this point since we send six almost all the time in those situations. Let the outside backers continue to be stout in the run game and blitz the hell out of quarterbacks in obvious passing situations.

I think I said it earlier in this thread; Coples is going to find his niche with a 3-4 zone blitz team as a weakside end like the Ravens, Steelers, Packers. He's great at stopping the run and will be a good two down player for one of those teams. It's ashame because he has all the physical ability in the world to be an elite Julius Peppers type player but he has no sense or relentlessness or urgency when it comes to getting to the quarterback. If you don't have that or elite pass rushing moves then you're shit out of luck as anything more than a first and second down player in this league.

Red Menace and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

It blows my mind how we as fans can see the guy being miscast at a position or role yet "professionals" can't get it right.

I don't care how stacked you are at a position you don't let a guy underachieve and disappear in a role that's just not suited for him.
    We should have put him at his natural position in the pre-season and seen what he could do.
    At least then we could possibly have gotten something back for the guy instead of wasting another high pick on someone we are going to let walk away.

10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

All Rex Ryan from start to finish. Bragged about being the one who personally drafted him. Ignored all the predraft warnings about effort and let his overconfidence in motivation and ego make the call. Decided on a whim that he was going to make him Mario Williams at OLB. Never re-evaluated that decision despite what many of us had seen over the 2 year period Ryan was here.

Man, people complain about Idzik's draft picks but Rex Ryan was twice as bad.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't care what he said the only draft pick Ryan ever had was Connor. I swear it still amazes me that people don't get it that GMs make draft picks and coaches coach them.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Don living up to his title yet again.

13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The day the Jets drafted Coples I was fortunate to be out somewhere where the Giants scouts were, as they celebrated the draft being over. I'd met a few of them before, and they remembered me and that I'm a Jets fan. "You guys shouldn't have taken Coples. You should've taken Chandler Jones. We would have." He went on to say the same things - Coples doesn't play hard every down, motivation issues etc etc. Since our hated rivals went on to take Chandler Jones, the comparison of the two has stuck with me ever since. How right they were. So, no, the Giants personnel department didn't like Q and probably would not pursue him now.

I wonder what they would've said about Kyle Wilson...

BigJenks likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree, luxury pick is not an accurate description. Unlike Williams, he was not BPA either. But to be fair, had they had picked him to play in his natural position he might have excelled, but the conversion to OLB made it a total waste of a high pick and did this young man no favors IMO. I'm so over Rex's experiments with him, Pryor, and others just to force feed his system.

ajax likes this.
  15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not saying that Coples will work out here, but on the snap count issue, the CS may have been limiting Coples because his elbow is injured.

16. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Saying a name over a phone to write down on a piece of paper to hand to the commissioner for him to announce the name doesnt exactly mean that the GM was the one who made the draft pick, Don. But thanks for reminding us about Connor. You probably dont recall when asked about Stephen Hill, -- Ryan said "he wasnt my draft pick."

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's an interesting tidbit. I didn't know they had that view on him. He'll make like one really good play then suck for a while, then show promise. Well you get the idea. That fits exactly what you said

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Chandler Jones isn't all that great to be honest ... makes you wonder if Coples were put in his natural position from day 1, what would his statistics be?

A lot of people on this board wanted Melvin Ingram. I was more interesting in getting Hightower.

19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

he will be gone next year probably to KC ...

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Lord Calvin was playing at about his current level before we re-signed him in 2014. He is on the roster because he plays his role better than anyone else available at the price we are paying him.

heartpumpsgreen likes this.