Lot of Brady-Rodgers debate these days

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WhySoSerious488, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Rodgers never had a 4-12 season. Or an 8-8 season...Where are you getting your numbers?

6-10, 11-5, 10-5, 14-1, 11-5, 6-3, 12-4. He's only played 7 seasons not including this season.

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Its the internet, I made it up. :) Sorry I started with his draft year, my mistake.

3. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

When did the Packers go 4-12 with Rodgers as the starter? You're counting Favre years? Rodgers first year they went 6-10 and it's been a great record ever since. The year they went 8-7 he missed several games with a broken collarbone resulting in the lesser record (but still came back in Week 17 to lead them to the playoffs). I guess you don't credit Belicheck for some of those glossy W-L records? You think Belicheck and Mike McCarthy are comparable coaches? Rodgers also went 15-1 with the 32nd ranked D, which last I checked is pretty hard to do.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he just took every Packers game that Rodgers was a Packer, regardless of if he played in the game or not.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Rodgers is the shit.

There's no doubt.

Aww...he'd make a great Jet.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Actually, in a parallel dimension, he's the next great 49ers QB. He plays like a cross between Montana and Young.

7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Brady. Being a quarterback, more than anything else, is about decision making and accuracy. Brady is probably the best quarterback I have ever seen at both consistently making great decisions as well as delivering the ball accurately to his intended receivers. The only guy I put above Brady is Montana.

BeastBeach likes this.
  8. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

There is no debate. Aaron Rodgers has been the clear cut best QB in the leage over the last four to five seasons. He has the ability to process information just as quickly as Brady and has the elite arm and ability to throw accurately on the run.

9. BigSnacks54

He had one great quarter ; threw a pick on the third Quarter that allowed the Seahawks to control much of the second half; there was a point in that third, where Seattle was on the verge of blowing New England out. Lynch runs it in and everyone is smashing Brady for his two picks and poor third quarter .

10. slimjasi

Yes, but it was the fourth quarter of the Superbowl - lol. We can't pretend like Brady wasn't brilliant when he had to be.

11. BigSnacks54

Yes, but that doesn't mean his three medicore Quarters should have been ignored. Narrative would have been different had Lynch ran it on. Really great foirth quarter, but it certainly wasn't a legendary performance. Regardless, I still perfer Rodgers ; just as good as Brady pre snap, but also has the best skillset in the league. It's fine to call Brady the GOAT (I disagree ), but one quarter or game shouldn't have changed one's opinion on that topic.

12. slimjasi

I'm not arguing that he had an all-time great game, I'm just pointing out that he was great when he had to be.

If I were drafting the quarterback of my team for the next 7-10 years , I would pick Rodgers, but If I were choosing a quarterback for a game tomorrow that I absolutely had to win, I would take Brady.

13. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The onside kick wouldn't of been a factor if the Packers had put the points on the board their dominance demanded, same as Pete Carrol and his hawks are going for the three-peat if Brady doesn't march his offense down the field to cut down the 2 score lead the Hawks had.

But he was there for 2 other shots which he lost out on thru one riduculous catch and another awesome catch. Peyton had one other shot and it wasn't even a close game.

If I were picking a all-time team then I'd go for Brady over Rodgers (but Montana overall) if I in the Jets FO and offered either for this season or the next............I'd take Rodgers.

14. WhySoSerious488

I'm only taking Brady for that game if he comes with Belicheck on the sidelines. McCarthy has been a huge reason for several of the Packers playoff losses, far more so than Rodgers. Let's not forget that Rodgers has lost playoff games where he scored 45 and 31 points. The only playoff loss where I would think Rodgers would admit to being severely disappointed or very upset by his play was that ugly home loss to the Giants after their 15-1 season. I'm not sure that game was even winnable for the Packers considering how bad their D was embarrassed by Eli and company (including a hail mary TD before half) but I know that Rodgers could have played considerably better than he did coming off of an MVP season. The other losses he suffered were either complete meltdowns by his D (Cards, first Niners game) in which he played very well, or middle of the road performances by him where he understandably struggled at times against great defenses (second Niners loss, Seahawks loss). Contrast that to Brady, who certainly has a more extensive playoff resume, but I can point to far more than 1 baffling and terrible performance by him, including in a number of games where the Pats won. Brady has actually been carried to victory during 3 INT playoff performances on more than one occasion, which nobody ever talks about, because it doesn't fit the "Brady is super clutch in the playoffs" narrative.

Burning Elvii likes this.
  15. WhySoSerious488

I won't argue that Rodgers lit it up in NFC CG against Seahawks last year but I don't think he played bad. Consider the circumstances, on the road against that Seattle crowd and that great D. That is not an ideal situation for a huge QB performance. And then consider that Rodgers still had the gimpy calf. He wasn't at full strength. This game was an ugly defensive battle where Rodgers clearly outplayed his counterpart, and did enough to get his team a hard-fought road win in a very difficult place to play. You can argue that a QB of Rodgers level could have played a little better, but I thought his performance was adequate.

By far the biggest reason for their loss was that McCarthy coached a gutless game in the 2nd half that let the Seahawks hang around enough for the improbable comeback. To me, that was a coaching loss with some very bad luck thrown in for the onsides kick.

16. slimjasi

Belichick is an awesome coach, but I have no doubt that Brady would be great playing for just about anyone. He's just a great player. Likewise, I have no doubt that, even without Brady, Belichick could build a winner just about anywhere, if given enough time. He's just a great coach.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rodgers makes tough throws consistently look easier than any other QB. He's putting balls with zip on them into tight windows off his back foot.

He can beat you in and out of the pocket and seems like he can make any throw from any position on the field right now.

Going forward, obviously Rodgers. All time, obviously Brady because Brady has an extra what 7 starter years on Rodgers right now? To dodge the question, I'd be happy with either player on my team.

18. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

Good points by everyone in the thread.

You can't really go wrong with either, but Rodgers is the best player in the league right now.

I think the quarterback rankings right now are as follows:

Rodgers

Brady

(end of the elite tier)

everyone else