All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

but our defense isnt as good as the ravens was
    our special team is nowhere near what their defense was
    our offensive line isnt what theirs was
    they played in a era where the rules didnt favor the offense quite as much
    they played in an era where touchbacks were as common putting more emphasis on the return/coverage game

our D and fitz can get us to the playoffs, but we arent on the same planet as that ravens team... and certainly not the same era rules wise

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am proud to admit I was a Chad skeptic early on. It started during his playoff game against the Raiders when they drew in their coverage daring him to try to beat it with downfield out pattern passes. The "pattern" wsa set, at least for opposing defenses that could take that approach. His injuries and not being able to stay on the field only compounded those concerns. His weak arm was only part of the problem, but it was a problem. Yet Chad had die hard supporters here who even went to far as to root for him in Miami. Some even after he crappped the bed in that embarrassing playoff loss.

On the whole I think there is too much deference here to Jet Qb's who generaly have been below average, overall. The exception is when the team has some level of controversy about who the Qb should be. Chad fans criticized Favre. Sanchez fans did not like Smith. Other than Favre, who concededly was problematic here both because he played injured but also seemed to be playing the Jets against GB and Minny, I haven't been fond of any of them.

At least Fitzpatrick is not losing games for us, and so far has stayed on the field. I hope he does all season. That doenst mean i have any illusions about him. I'm not buying him a beer or renting him bowling shoes. But I am happy hes in there instead of the woeful Smith. And it does seem to me he has a better arm than Pennington, but people who loved Pennington to an embarrassing extent now seem to think Fitzpatrick's arm is way too weak.

It's kind of amusing.

3. jerseyjay14

disagree 100%. as bowles said why get into a shootout and ditch the game plan? we dont need to be airing it out or trying to score 30. strong D, win the turnover battle.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You think he won't ever be a viable starter based on his first 2 seasons, you're entitled to that opinion. I think he can be because he's known to be a film rat and is always working on improving himself and he has the physical tools. That's a good start to me. I could see if he were lazy then I'd agree with the notion that he would never be a viable starter. But if you put in the work and with time and experience anything is possible.

I never said Geno should be given the job back no matter what. But if he shows stark improvement that is a good thing for this organization because we can continue to develop him and it would give us some stability at the position. Better that than a journey man.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nobody knew the 2000 Ravens were the 2000 Ravens until after the season when their defense dominated.

The odds of the Jets performing that well aren't very good with the offensive rules you mention, but there's a pendulum effect there - Balt's offense didn't have rules favorable to them like the Jets offense does.

6. The 1985er

Pennington has meant more to this franchise than Fitz. That alone trumps anything else. But I don't see the need to trash one player to prop up the other in most cases though.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's amazing that the Jets are 2-0 and the most active thread on the board is all about who should be the QB moving forward.

Really?

REALLY?!

FlaJet and Big Blocker like this.
  8. abyzmul

It's the same theory with web article hits. Negativity sells.

Poeman likes this.
  9. Br4d

Yes but it's such a stupid place to be right now. The Jets are winning. Only somebody who doesn't care about that fact is likely to be pushing hard for the QB to be replaced.

If you're pushing for Geno at QB right now you're doing the Devil's work.

FlaJet likes this.
  10. abyzmul

Well, there are some people pushing hard for Geno to start for whatever reason, there will always be someone pulling for a different QB until we find the answer to the Elite QB Question.

The last thing I personally want is for Geno to come in right now, but I'm not content with the way Fitz played, either. I can deal with him starting this year, I'm just not going to pretend he's something he's not.

I haven't been "begging for an average QB" and neither have a lot of people, I'm not going to just shut up about the QB situation because we found an average guy.

Imagesrdecieving and zace like this.
  11. Br4d

Bowles is a Parcells guy though and through.

When you have two starting QB's you have no starting QB's.

That's why all the Geno talk is the Devil's work right now.

Bowles gets it though. He said it right away when Geno got hurt. "Fitzpatrick is the starting QB."

That's because he didn't know for sure that Geno would be available again and he didn't know for sure that Geno was better than Fitzpatrick. If you have two guys who could be the guy you have to pick one of them and then go with him until he does something or something happens that forces your hand.

Until that moment Fitzpatrick is the Jets starting QB. That's how we should all be looking at it as fans. We're winning. Nothing is more important than that.

12. Gator

Gator Active Member

Chad threw a pick to effectively end the 06 playoff game at New England that was like a high school throw. Went to that game. That's when I knew we had to cut bait with that guy. Was a shame he got hurt and his arm was never what it was when he first became our QB....but that's football, Suzyn.

13. jerseyjay14

hi
    nope. he has to far to go to even get to the point where he isnt awful. him working hard is nice, but work ethic isnt the issue. he will be out of the league soon

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Anything can happen once you get to the playoffs - Doesn't matter who your QB is or isn't. A franchise QB does not miraculously mean you are going to win Super Bowls, but you are certainly more likely to get to the playoffs year after year.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who's complaining?

The Geno supporters?

Fuck em.

jerseyjay14 and FlaJet like this.
  16. The 1985er

Work ethic and experience. Fitz looked like shit in his first few seasons but he improved.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Average at best. I dont understand all this settling nonsense.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

All it takes is the right situation for a guy to succeed...Remember post-Giants Kurt Warner? The man who was a long time back up and literally done and then all of a sudden took off with the Cardinals.

Fitzpatrick can be good as long as the offense gets in a rhythm and can play supportive of each other. Still he is a QB that wont win you games on his back alone.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  19. Big Blocker

I said he is UNLIKEY to be.

I am right.

Next!

20. Big Blocker

Nobody was comparing their relative values to the franchise. Such an assessment in any case does not overcome that CHad a weaker arm than Fitzpatrick.

You have difficulty identifying the issue under discussion, sometimes.

jerseyjay14 likes this.