All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That goes without saying. It's not like Geno is Peyton Manning in his prime recovering from a broken jaw. If Fitz is playing solid football then I don't see them putting Geno in. But Geno is still young and if nothing else he has work ethic and physical tools. So that's enough to do your due diligence with and playing in an offense that suits his skillsets better may help him at least develop into a solid starting QB.

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, as the game was unfolding I felt that Fitz was leaving a lot of points on the board, but after looking at his numbers and the throws that he made when they had to be made, I agree with the OP position. Sometimes I forget how really awful the QB play has been for the last 6 years. In fairness to Mark, his first 2 years weren't awful - they were solid years for a rookie QB that came out early. But the last 4 have been absolutely horrific. Not once last night did I ever get the feeling that a back-peddle sack for 15 yards was coming, or a screen pass picked off by a D lineman, etc...

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Here's to hoping Fitz stays healthy.

Did he get sacked last night?

4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Yep, there were maybe 4 questionable throws the whole night, but they weren't reckless, just a bit risky in a tight game.

5. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

Right now, Geno would also be sitting at 2-0...and probly exploits the scrubs last night in a way Fitzgerald couldn't. Fitz is the backup. Our starter is hurt. Period.

Everyone is so quick to toss a 3rd year player who was thrown into the fire with absolute bums surrounding him.
    Now we're stacked.
    All we need is an upgrade in talent at qb....Geno is that. Geno can POTENTIALLY launch this team out of the stratosphere.
    And IF not....we fall back on Captain Average.....no prob.
    BUT.......IF....Geno reaches his potential.....omg
    If Fitz reaches his....well, he has.

I can't wait for Geno to get back....personally.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

6. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

2 years of opportunity---rushed into play as a rookie with bums to throw to is not opportunity. THIS is opportunity...and im psyched.
    Of course none of us know what TB will do, but id wager that geno comes back when hes ready, even if were undefeated with (or despite) fitz. Why? Because hes that much more talented. Simple.

Using Colon's mercedes reference in preseason, Fitz is that little spare tire that comes with the car.

#286 shonnfrank, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Prior to the season I was advocating that we start Smith. I was very skeptical of Fitzpatrick. Some called me a "smith fan" (which is hilarious in a way) but just 1 mistake last night like any of those and we lose that Colts game. They were dying for a turnover in our end and Geno Smith commits a lot of turnovers on his own side of the field. I'm happy we have Fitzpatrick at the helm for the time being. Smith doesn't need to take the field any time soon

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Exactly. We likely win 75-7 and jump all the way to 1 or 2 in the ESPN Power rankings.

_

jerseyjay14 and Cman68 like this.
  9. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

People are so quick to jump to conclusions on how Geno would've looked when we haven't even seen him play yet with Marshall and the improved Oline. Geno looked alright in the beginning of last year when he had a healthy Decker. Then everything went downhill once he got hurt. Personally the biggest difference in our offense has been Brandon Marshall. Having a true #1 WR elevates medicore QBs into average QBs (e.g. Dalton).

I always Geno would've done alright with this new group . That's just my opinion. I love Fitz but I'm not being biased like some of you guys are. Either way, as long as Fitz keeps playing mistake free football, he should continue to start.

10. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

Yes, but wouldnt we have scored more off of 5 turnovers, a decimated secondary and two stud receivers if someone werent throwing ducks around the field.
    Geno to fitz is like Roger clemons to phil neikro.
    And im not dissing fitz....as a backup hes been wonderful. Id just like to see some darts flying. Just to SEE.... who knows....If he really sux, captain so-so isnt going anywhere.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Key phrase in my post was "on this team". This is a talented and veteran unit that can make some noise Fitz is the best pick to run this ship IMO.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

No one knows anything to a complete, 100% certainty. But we do know that Smith is very unlikely to overcome all that he needs to in order to be an average to better tahn average Qb. The odds are very much against him, in large part because the areas in which he needs to improve are difficult to address and too long in number.

Given the alternatives and the cost of taking a season like this to give him a third chance, it is not worth it to turn the team back over to him. THe very thought of it makes me sick.

FlaJet likes this.
  13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Totally agree here. In fact he might well be served by another chance elsewhere. Something tells me the Jets will not get much in offering him, but I would be a fool to say he has no shot no chance anywhere to get at least somewhat better. Here, it is alreadly too problematic. I htink the IK thing and the fallout from it sealed that deal.

14. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

Just the mere possibility of an upgrade at qb demands an immediate shot. The second that jaw heals. If its too much to bear than Mr. Mediocre is waiting in the wing, ready to get back out there and wreak havoc.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Looks like Geno Smith joined TGG yesterday.

Welcome aboard Geno.

_

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I know what you said, and if (conjecture) Geno performed similarly to Fitz that would be a positive sign because for one he's progressing from last year and there is a chance that he could improve upon this current level of play. With Fitz he is what he is. So it's better to play the young guy and let him develop so you get a guy that can help you win now as well as give you some semblance of stability at the position for a few years possibly 8-10 years.

17. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Geno may be traded. I'm all forFitzt

18. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

We can post quite a gif collage with fitzpatrick turnovers too. There is a reason his stays on a given team are brief.
    Luckily, our d is so nasty we can win despite him, but if we are playing this well now, with our backup, imagine how good itll b when our first string gets back.

19. shonnfrank

shonnfrank Active Member

If he performed similarly to fitz that would be a sign that he has a rotator cuff injury.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Puke.

Now there's a funny word, Jerry.

I can't see them turning the team over to Geno... except out of necessity.