Who is going to get cut?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsfanHBca, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

We already have Enunwa, Owusu and Devin Smith to throw out there even if Marshall and or Decker get injured. There simply isn't any room for Kerley and it doesn't look like Chan even wants to get him involved. In which case you should move on from him unless financially it doesn't make sense. You shouldn't be forced to play Kerley and wait for people to get injured before you make him a part of your offense.

macbk and James Hasty like this.
  2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Good point.

I can see Bohanon getting cut though, unless we technically need to have an FB rostered?

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

our backup center is Wes Johnson, on the practice squad.
    both Dozier and Winters can finish out a game at C in a pinch if something happened to Mangold.

as far as G, Winters blew away Dozier this offseason. wasn't even close.

i'll be shocked if they didn't cut Dozier, or simply part ways with Aboushi.

4. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Snap counts and inactives tell a story

www.scout.com/nfl/jets/story/1587185-jets-vs-browns-snap-count-totals

OFFENSE

Player Name Position Snaps
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT 61
    Breno Giacomini OT 61
    Ryan Fitzpatrick QB 61
    Nick Mangold C 60
    Brandon Marshall WR 60
    Willie Colon OG 58
    James Carpenter OG 58
    Eric Decker WR 55
    Chris Owusu WR 40
    Chris Ivory RB 32
    Bilal Powell RB 29
    Jeff Cumberland TE 28
    Quincy Enunwa WR 27
    Kellen Davis TE 19
    Tommy Bohanon FB 12
    Brent Qvale OL 5
    Brian Winters OL 3
    Jeremy Kerley WR 1
    Dakota Dozier OL 1

My guess is it comes from the bottom 5 here if not Aboushi - Kerley must be worried as he was only on twice when teams were out there!! But then the Browns did not punt very often, they either scored or more often turned it over

abyzmul likes this.
  5. DaBallhawk

I think Chan still wants that lead blocker. I'm hoping we move on from Bohanon because he's not good at it, but we'll see I guess in a couple hours. Right now my money is on Dozier or Jarvis Harrison. Harrison wasn't even active. Dozier at least can play Center, even though technically he's behind Aboushi at LG, so logically if Aboushi returns it would only make sense if he pushed Dozier off the roster. If that's how you want to look at it. lol

6. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Make Dozier your lead blocker if that's all you want is a blocker. At 6-4, 312, he should be able to push asses outta the way and you don't lose your BU center. While we're at it, see if he can catch, then we have a TE. :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Aboushi - the others obviously did enough on Sunday to stay ahead of him.

James Hasty and BacktoQueens like this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

that's what i figured....him or Dozier...one was going.

9. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

Jets are gonna regret this. He'll be a contributor on a decent OL while Colon has his season ending injury and we're left with the human turnstile

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Stop pretending like Aboushi was the answer to all of our problems.

He wasn't great, he obviously wasn't someone this coaching staff thought much of, they are not going to regret cutting a guy that will struggle to stay on any team as a backup for the remainder of his career.

He may not even get on another team.

Not a big deal.

11. DaBallhawk

Somebody get this guy a chill pill.

12. IIMeanDeanII

Yes because I'm so out of control.

I'm going to go take a cold shower, read a book, eat some ice cream, and take a nap.

Just for you, DBH.

Sigh.

13. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

They've got plenty of 2014 tape on Aboushi and had a good look this preseason. In Mac/Bowles I trust. At best he doesn't fit into the system they are running, at worst the guy's a scrub. Does anyone reading these boards really trust the judgements of the prior FO/CS re this guy?

Poeman likes this.
  14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Aboushi will get picked up...But honestly the others are stepping up. Its a tough call.

I know someone that knows Aboushi, as he is a New Yorker he will be bummed but I trust Bowles and Mac. They know what to do here

15. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I don't think I called him the answer. He is what he is which was great depth. You don't panic if he's starting and you don't lose games because of him.

Don't forget when we had Wayne Hunter out there single-handedly losing games for us. Competent guards are an asset and I don't think any one of Qvale, Winters, Dozier or Harrison is on the same level as Aboushi was.

16. IIMeanDeanII

See, that's where we differ. I think they are all on the same level, talent wise.

Which isn't good. About average.

We have depth, at around the same level, with some with more upside than others.

I hope we do better next off season in bringing in some upgrades on the OL, especially at depth players.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No surprises in the Aboushi cut. He was a prior regime player who was drafted to help at a position of need for which the Jets signed an established free agent to a long-term deal. That's the whole story.

Once Carpenter came in the door Aboushi, Winters and the other younger holdovers fighting it out at guard were at a disadvantage and susceptible to cuts. That's just the NFL.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Kinda surprised he got cut rather than Winters, Dozier or even Qvale. He showed decently last year

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Surprising considering he was in the 2nd string guard in preseason. There was even talk of him competing with Colon for 1st. That was before his suspension though.

Guess he wasn't good enough for Bowles to overlook his infraction like he did with Sheldon...or we're going to try to PS him.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I thought I saw stories about Aboushi only working with the 3rd team during camp? And yeah, Todd Bowles is very likely to change his opinion of a player based on that player's interest in being on the field - by not getting himself arrested and things like that.

Sheldon Richardson is going to be an interesting case to watch moving forward. Bill Parcells let Lawrence Taylor get away with everything short of murder because of his talent. Will Bowles be similarly predisposed to let Richardson be Richardson or is he already planning for a defense without him? Only time will tell.

LIJetsFan likes this.