We're gonna botch this Wilkerson situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 12, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look every team cuts players who they signed and gave bonuses too. Even UFAs who are usually cut get some money to sign. As do fringe players who don't make the team. So why don't we be fair about all of this and not kill Idzik for every move the guy made. The thing is: does Mac have the money to re-sign our star players. Or because of pressure did he overspend this year. I'm not criticizing him because we don't know yet.

2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think he's going to want more than what our front office is going to want to pay..... I'd prepare to lose him because they have big cat and Sheldon....... They can't keep all three......

hornblower likes this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think that so far Mac is a good combination of the two past GMs. He's playing it to win now, but is bringing good youth in to eventually take over. We wouldn't be in a situation of having to pay for a lot of free agents if we simply had any talent to be at all competitive this year. If our rookies do develop and we keep drafting good players, I doubt we'll see the spending spree like we did this year again. I don't blame Idzik for his philosophy as much as his picking players. Yes, whiffing on a cheap player is better than whiffing on an expensive one, but Idzik was just not that savy of a GM. If Patterson worked out to be good and Vick was a steal, Idzik would have looked like the smartest GM in the NFL. The problem is that most of his picks especially in the draft (which he claimed to be all about) were terrible. You or I could have cleaned up the cap the way Idzik did and subsequently not bring any talent to this team.

hornblower likes this.
  4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

To me some of his moves were good ones but in reality almost nothing worked in 2014. No I couldn't have cleaned up the cap like you are saying. It takes knowledge and experience. If anyone can do it then I'm available and I work cheap.

5. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

If you don't sign your guys then you don't end up with depth. At best, you end up with a carousel of new talented guys that you're using resources like draft picks to acquire that could be used for weaknesses.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Idzik was a dumb fuck period. That horse broke it's leg and got shot on the track.

Am I the only one paying here?
    Mo Wilk wants Mo money.

He does deserve it.

But why in the world would you give it to him now?

Only one of two things can happen here.

He can play his ass off, propel himself and by extension the team, to another level....and then you give him the money he's looking for. AFTER GETTING SAID PERFORMANCE...not paying for maybe.

Or he can be a disgruntled fuck, and play himself out of money. Then you get to keep him for less, and put him back in that decision cycle a second time...

RuJFan likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

At some point the Texans will realize they aren't going anywhere with $20M/yr JJ Watt, and will try a different direction. Maybe a Mo Wilk (and others) direction. A team can only lose for some many years in a row before they say "Let's try a different direction", and the Texans have to be getting close.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think we may be trying to prioritize things here. I think we may look to re-sign D'brick who has been a brick (no pun intended) in his tenure with us. He has been great and we need to keep the O-Line strong.

We have a strength on the d-line, so I think we franchise Mo and maybe resign him sometime next season. He does need to beast out there this year.

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He's been known to take plays off and that could be an issue for this cs. He has to perform this season.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

D'Brick?

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No mo wilk. Lol def not brick.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

12. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

If you noticed today, the Jets pulled Wilk on almost every passing down for Douzable. Could it be this new CS and GM does not value Wilk like Rex and the fans did/do?

13. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Sucks that it didn't work out, but now he can go out there and prove his worth.

14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

That's a wrap.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Him and Snacks were off the field a lot actually. I did notice that. Felt like Coples was on the field more than both.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

From Cimini:

Jets defensive snap counts (total: 71)
    DL -- Wilkerson 52, Williams 49, Harrison 32, Douzable 26, Barnes 8, Bowen 8.
    LBs --Davis 71, Harris 70, Coples 54, Pace 52, Reilly 19, Mauldin 11, Henderson 7,
    DBs -- Gilchrist 71, Revis 71, Pryor 64, Skrine 55, Williams 30, Cromartie 27, Jarrett 4.

17. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

To me, 52 is way too many for someone like Pace. Hopefully Reilly's numbers go up as the season goes on and Pace's go down.

Pretty sad we gave up a TD on one of the four snaps that Jarrett was in on. that TD was prob on both him and Cro

18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I honestly think they go with Richardson and Williams as the future DEs and we look to trade Mo. It doesn't make sense to keep 3 All star players if one is gonna ride the bench. We have other needs like Tight End, Quarterback, and linebackers that could certainly use improving.

hornblower likes this.
  19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Well there goes that. I know they want Mo to stay, but at their price.

This might get ugly.

20. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

No issue with waiting this out. Who knows what will happen to the salary cap by 2017. Makes sense to hold off for now.

hornblower likes this.