Latest Jets Transactions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Jun 2, 2015.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno is not an NFL quality QB, but Flynn is? But anyway they actually both belong in the league, we know Flynn is not a starter and Geno has upside and is still young. How is developing a guy a waste of time? Geno shouldn't have started a game his rookie year, he was raw and wasn't ready to play right away, then you throw in a revolving door of receivers, shaky oline, and suspect playcalling during his first year and struggles were going to be imminent. Giving up on a player after two years is pretty impatient. Especially for a guy in Flynn that couldn't beat out Terrelle Pryor, I bet Geno would've beaten him out.

NCJetsfan and edray10 like this.
  2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I just don't see the upside in Geno, I hope I'm wrong.

To me his performance has been horrible, he makes bad decisions off the field, His teammates don't even seem to have his back (not even in the media). I see a lot of excuses for this kid, just not a lot of good signs that he will turn the corner.

Take a look a Teddy Bridgewater he was drafted in a similar spot, He was thrown into the fire, his supporting team is not that much better but there have been signs of him making it.

3. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Teddy is a stud in the making. He's already what Chad Pennington was in his prime, he's reached that type of play as a rookie / 2nd year guy but he has to back it up now of course and do it over the next 5-10 years. But he looked great in the preseason. Three straight games with a 111 QB rating. Overall he has been magnificent, with no RB, a terrible O-Line, average at best receivers and an OK defense. Wish we would have drafted him, all it took was trading up like 15 spots in Round 2 ("losing" Amaro).

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You nailed it Will. It's a huge crap shoot. Owusu may be a better WR than say Dozier is a lineman, but if Macc cut Dozier he's snatched up, while Owusu is just one of many WRs that get cut at the same moment and gets lost in the shuffle.

Macc said as much during the 4th preseason game. He has to be very careful who he cuts (if he wants them on the PS). He has to have a good idea of all the other teams, and what they be looking for on the waiver wire.

This is why it will be tough for Macc to get a good TE. The other 31 teams KNOW Macc will scoop up their guy the instant he's cut, so they may cut someone else instead and try to sneak him through, even though he may be a better player but at a different position.

Like I said before, this is when GMs are made or ruined, and much of it is dumb luck.

NCJetsfan, edray10 and DaBallhawk like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Don't worry about Geno getting back on the field. As soon as he's ready, Fitzpatrick will suffer a well timed 'concusion'.

6. The 1985er

Strong arm, fairly mobile could make all the throws. How many truly bad games did he have last year maybe 2? The problem with Geno was decision making, he'd have a few bad moments within the games but his overall performances haven't as bad as it's been made out to be. Not saying he was good, but it's been exaggerated how bad he was last year. The only bad games were the Chargers and Bills games and both times he got benched. I thought he made improvements from year 1 to year 2, that I've seen. Keep in mind that he was raw, he didn't even know how to do a 3,5,7 step drop, or consistently take snaps from under center. He had to learn fundamentals, while also learning the game plan and strategizing for the next opponent, a lot was on his table. He should've sat for a year to develop.

Bridgewater was more pro ready than Geno coming out. The dude could be a good QB. But not everybody will come out the gate playing well. Some people take a year or two to get it.

7. Footballgod214

and Geno was playing really good in camp. Making good decisions, strong arm, all the throws, beating Cro like a drum, no INTS, no fumbles. Clearly ahead of Fitz (who was coming off a broken leg to be fir). so ya, the sky was looking up for Geno entering his 3rd yr. He's clearly better today than if he rode the pine his first 2 seasons. Question remains, what does Bowles do if Geno is ready and Fitz is playing well. This decision will make or break Bowles.

8. The 1985er

If Fitz is playing well I believe they will stick with Fitz. Geno will see the field if Fitz plays like shit or gets hurt.

9. DaBallhawk

Arthur Lynch is on DEN's practice squad. Guess one TE (Saxton) was enough. I'm still hoping we land at least ONE solid veteran TE, maybe two, so we can get rid of both Cumberland and Kellen Davis.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Just what Bowles has said. He lost any chance of getting the nod when he got into that fight and now the only way he gets it back is if Fitz sucks.

11. kbgreen

You just helped make my point, we will not take a shot to get a NFL QB like the trade you suggested while they have Geno. The guy is holding us back.

12. kbgreen

Lets flip the script for a second say we made the trade for Bridgewater and we now had an up and coming QB what would your prediction for this team be with the talent we now have?

13. Don

If we had done that we would probably still have Idzik and Ryan and no Revis, no Cromartie, no Skrine, no, no, no...so it would be the same or worse.

but we WOULD have a lot of unspent cash...

14. The 1985er

8-8, 9-7, 10-6. The same as it is now. Bridgewater is promising but still unproven.

15. DaBallhawk

I think under Rex I would have agreed with you. But this is a new coaching staff, new front office. They are not tied to a 2nd round pick who keeps making the headlines for all the wrong reasons. We might have seen Geno start his final game for us last year. There is a good chance the FO/CS will move on next year with either Petty taking over or Fitz doing it for another year until Bryce is ready.

16. kbgreen

I know it is a fools errand but I am trying to say that having Geno is holding us back from getting a real starting NFL QB.

17. Don

Totally agree and even if he is gone after this season that will mean we did "ok" and we still won't be in a position to get one..no money to sign a big time vet assuming one even became available and a mid round draft pick which puts us at the back of the line for any good qbs coming out. This was the year to get one and we didn't do it although we probably did try to move up.

18. kbgreen

But at least Brigdewater is promising! I can't say that about Geno other than saying that he did not throw an interception in practice! Saying he had some OK games, and only two really bad ones is not the kind of endorsement we should be talking about going into year 3.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

glad to hear owusu is back. he deserved it. I like the way the roster is comprised. I liked the tough decisions at LB, especially. Henderson and Lattimore I like a lot. Tough break for Miles to make the final cutdown only to be dropped once they found a new safety off waivers. I am surprised they didn't go after a new TE off waivers.

20. The 1985er

I think his skillset makes Geno promising, but time will tell if it ever translates into a consistent package.

NCJetsfan likes this.