Thomas George: Geno Sucker Punch is Reflection on Bowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Nope.

Dude we're fans, even the wrong guys reach better conclusions.

This guy is a poor mans Stephen A. Smith.

LAJet likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad you are here instead. Cheers

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it seems to be how you make it in journalism these days. What if a year from now Bowles proves to be inefficient at commanding a team and a locker room? This guy looks like a genius. If not, no one remembers the article anyways.

People write outrageous things all the time to get noticed. If they don't get noticed it's no skin off their back because the article gets buried in the archives.

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Personally I think that opinion is a joke but anyone who blamed the locker room problem and "circus" atmosphere on Rex the last couple years SHOULD have this same opinion. If they dont they are a hypocrite.

Bottom line is 90 percent of the guys in the league are immature idiots. 25 year olds with 12 year olds minds. Coaches cannot control everyone on a team and be able to make sure they dont fuck up all the time.

But all I know is if this Sheldon and Geno nonsense happened under Rex's watch a lot more fans would be blaming him then they are blaming Bowles right now. And that speaks volumes about our fanbase.

5. Hectorfor3

Hectorfor3 Active Member

This is freaking absurd. There is no way this is a professional football writer, right?

6. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

totally agree, the double standards here are exasperating. I happen to think that the coach is the captain of the proverbial ship, and that accountability starts and ends with him. So Rex deserves some of the blame for the drama that occurred in his tenure, but so does Bowles. Sure, Bowles can't be following around Sheldon in his off time to tell him to lay off the gas or put down the grass, but he is ultimately responsible for ensuring that his players and staff are responsible.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I appreciate that!

8. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

what a dumb son of a bitch

9. NCJetsfan

How do you get that Bowles is to blame? Yes, the bottom line is that he has ultimate responsibility, but these are men with minds of their own. Bowles isn't their daddy. He can't follow them around and make sure they stay out of trouble. All he can do is tell them what he expects out of them, what he won't tolerate, and then back it up with actions if they cross the line. He's only been here a few months. One doesn't change a culture overnight, especially when that culture was created by his predecessor and has been allowed to exist and flourish for 6 years. By every appearance, Bowles is backing up his words. He immediately cut Ik.

Are you saying that the punishment for Sheldon should have been more severe, and that the Jets shouldn't wait on the NFL to hand out some sort of punishment, but rather handle it themselves? If so, I possibly could agree with that. I'm glad that the Jets are supporting Sheldon, but think they should have handed out some sort of punishment other than demoting him to 2nd string in practice. I think they should have fined him at the very least for not telling them what had happened and instead allowing them to be blindsided with the news.

What Sheldon did was awful, but he does deserve a second chance imo. Attacking a teammate physically doesn't deserve a second chance imo. It shows that he can't control his emotions/temper, and you can't trust a player like that. Not only could it happen again with another player, but it could happen during a game and wind up costing the Jets a crucial game.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Media yearning for a dis functional head coach in the wake of rex

They aren't smart enough to actually put forth solid analysis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He is not the only one who has said this but he is probably the only one that said it the way he did. It did happen on Bowles watch and like it or not he is being looked at differently now by both the owner and the GM.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I totally agree with that and the minute he is put on IR it will be proven to be so.

dogg likes this.
  13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

So if IK saw it as a demand, he would automatically have restrained himself. All a coach has to say is "Don't do that" and everyone on the team will fall into lockstep? IK has not got a problem with an explosive temper. There are no similar incidents in his history? He just punches cops and resists arrest after being pepper sprayed. This writer is an ass.

14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

It's a reflection on IK and Geno. It's silly to somehow get Todd involved in this...

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Geno had it coming. Until they post a video of the altercation, I don't believe it was a sucker punch.

dogg likes this.
  16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It really is true that everyone would be blaming Rex for this,flying planes over practice etc.....But Bowles gets no heat .......You have to love our "agenda driven" fanbase

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It is but if Rex was still the coach he would be getting buried right now....

18. NCJetsfan

And with good reason. Rex had been here 6 years. He had set the tone with his lack of accountability and discipline. Bowles has only been on the job for a couple of months and has yet to make his first roster cuts and play his first meaningful game. HUGE difference.

tomdeb likes this.
  19. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Well, the head coach is responsible, to a certain extent, for the discipline (or lack thereof) on his team. Rex was criticized for things his players said to the media, but he never had a player suspended, and on top of it get pulled over by the cops again, and then the unbelievable scandal of a teammate punching his own starting QB in the face!
    Everyone has a right to their opinion, of course, but you should be consistent: if you criticized Rex for not keeping his players from running their mouths, how can you not criticize Bowles for not preventing his players from getting suspended, pulled over by the cops, and now sucker-punching the starting QB?

20. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

Just the title alone is all you need to know he should be writing for the Onion. I know I won't understand whatever logic he uses to blame Bowles, so why even bother?