Jets are kicking the tires...Eyeing OL Evan Mathis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by matt robinson 17, Aug 1, 2015.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

that was such a foolish and unnecessary move

James Hasty likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh, the immortal great Slauson, who wanted more than he was worth.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

There, fixed it for you.

[​IMG]

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Slauson? We are self-loathing over Matt Slauson? I didn't know that was a thing.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

When Winter and Aboushi are your options at starting guard self-loathing over Matt Slauson is a thing.

Walt White likes this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yes, that was definitely an anomaly compared to the success of the TWELVE draft picks that the GM made on a low talent team

7. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

Yeah Wayne Hunter cost the team big time, you pay Linemen if you want any chance at success. Linemen are not plug in an play like maybe a running back or TE.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you ever post anything that isn't accosting other Jets fans who aren't fully drunk on the front office kool aid? Letting Slauson go without a viable replacement when we had more than enough cap space to keep him was foolish.

Are we not allowed to discuss that in the middle of a thread about upgrading the guard position? Get over yourself.

James Hasty and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

1. Yes, plenty.

2. You don't overpay someone just because you have the room to do so. That's a very Tannenbaum thing to do, and we know how it worked out for Tannenbaum firsthand.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Slauson was a below replacement level JAG. That the Jets haven't been able to find better than him is an indictment of the scouting department over that span.

The last good young offensive linemen that Jets found and developed were D'Brick and Mangold and both of them were first round picks.

The Jets have signed vet free agents all along the line repeatedly since 2001. That 's what you have to do when you are incapable of finding and developing your own guys.

There are several guys that they drafted that turned into decent players for other teams and Slauson may be joining Jonathan Goodwin in that category at this point.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If the Jets are hesitant about their options at RG, then they shouldn't hesitate to bring in Mathis (price seeming to be the potential contention).

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no he does not. if you don't agree with him/the front office you are an IDIOT my friend

Slauson left NY for a 1 year deal with Chicago worth $815K + incentives btw. That's seriously nothing. That tells me it wasn't a cost/benefit decision based on his cost but rather another Idzik blunder... he probably didn't even call the guy and thought he knew football enough to draft a guy like Winters to replace him. Good call there.

Slauson played well enough there in that 1 year to earn a long term deal in Chicago. 4 years, $12.8 million. which is still considerably less than what the Jets signed Carpenter at this past offseason- which was a mid level contract in its own right.

So basically, Slauson was never a big money player and isn't/wasnt ever going to be "overpaid." Your gripe is valid despite the childish whining from moproblems- - but everyone basically knew that already

#72 BrowningNagle, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    74, ajax, Walt White and 1 other person like this.
  13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He got paid as a starting NFL guard, which he is proven to be.

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Slauson's had a nice career, and was a decent fit inside Brick and Mangold in the unit.

The joint Tannebaum/Idzik clusterfuck on Slauson has subjected us to atrocious G play ever since. Wtf? It's a big fkn thing

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

Cute, and thank you for the attention but that's not what I'm here for.

I'm not into playing the hindsight game. Everyone is always right when they look back, knowing what they know now. How about we talk about Slauson at the time of the decision to not resign him:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/20...t_re-signing_matt_slauson_last_offseason.html

Raise your hand if you anticipated Slauson's jump from 32nd ranked guard in the league to the 6th in the span of one year. There should be no hands raised. AT THE TIME, Slauson was not good. He was your run of the mill, JAG guard that seemingly was going to bounce around the league until finally tapering off into obscurity. Nothing said otherwise.

Lost in this weak attempt to bash me is the fact that I never said anything other than Slauson isn't someone we should be getting worked up over on this fine stretch of summer days. He's thriving in a system we never, ever were going to run. Don't let that cloud the view as you look back on the reality of 2013 free agency.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

5.5M + is his asking price. I don't think the Jets can afford him. Give him a few weeks and that asking price will go down IMO.

17. BrowningNagle

possibly. but in a couple weeks teams could have an injury or two and flat out need Mathis or even just have more time to gain perspective on the bums they have and realize they need an upgrade.

this waiting game has benefits to both sides of the bargaining table imo

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I doubt the Jets would get into a bidding war with an 30+ RG on the downside of his career. I think 5.5M is a lot for him to begin with.

Said it before, I'll say it again - Jets had a chance to get a high quality prospect G in Chance Warmack instead of Dee Milliner. I was on that bandwagon hard - now everyone is making a big deal about Gs. I would rather draft a G high if need be then to be with 4 meh prospects at the G position.

tomdeb likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL

20. BrowningNagle

well i didn't like the idea of taking a guard that high myself at the time but that wasn't your average draft either so I understood it. your take looks like a solid one right now as it would be damn nice to have him on this line