According to Revis: "We didn't have a QB"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jul 21, 2015.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

In before junc gets ahold of this thread...

Kind of a dumb move on the part of Revis to make a comment like this knowing full well the Jets are STILL struggling to find a competent QB. I'm not saying Geno can't be that, but I'm saying you know there's at least a 50/50 chance he won't. Granted, Mark never had receivers like Marshall and Decker with a deep threat like Devin Smith so I think the chances may be higher than we assume (I'm thinking Eli-esque progression, aka let the receivers do the work on poorly thrown balls).

Beyond that, when a team jumps out to a 24-0 lead against you (we'll say 17-0 since Mark was solely responsible for giving up 7 points) in the AFC championship game, it's hard to blame any single solitary player. To his credit, I think the 24-0 deficit would have been a bit easier to overcome with any semblance of an NFL QB, and by that I don't mean a guy that will hand the ball off and manage the game.

Long story short, dumb move, but he's not necessarily wrong.

Edit: missed it by seconds!

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No doubt about it then after that season they brought in a project WR who failed and never upgraded WR corps again.

Tannenbaum didn't ruin us but that killed Mark and killed us but I do appreciate him building SB caliber teams and he appears to have learned in Miami what he didn't do here and that's load up on O weapons for a young QB.

3. nyjunc

we came by back w/ in a possession, down 24-0 we pulled w/in 5 w/ plenty of time left and the "elite" D allowed the clock to be run out.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The off-season after losing to Pittsburgh was one of the worst off-seasons in Jets history. Tanny and Rex seemed to have their priorities all out of wack. The way they handled that off-season, it was truly the beginning of the end.

ajax and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. nyjunc

Remember, we were hampered by final 4 rules w/ impending lockout, then had the lockout and we were trying to clean up the cap a bit but I agree that offseason killed us and eventually led to so many changes.

6. 101GangGreen101

We had the same problem in 2009 also, but somehow we got better the next season. My opinion, I think we looked at the wrong positions. If you remember we chased Nnamdi, and we didn't really look to upgrade positions on offense.

It should've been a priority to try and get Mark as many young talented weapons, upgrade the line, etc - to try and get him to the next level.

7. nyjunc

we made the trade for Holmes and had Braylon for a full season so that helped 2010.

The Nnamdi chase really killed us.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

If I recall correctly, I think we spent a couple weeks trying to chase him while other FAs were being signed. Just so many bad decisions. Mark's play got better that next year, but I can't help but think what if we fixed the RT position and got younger weapons and at the same time kept Cotchery instead of Mason.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The story of the last window is really simple. The Jets started with a textbook rebuild in 2006 with the 10 draft picks and they made smart picks with their 2 1st rounders, getting offensive linemen to bolster the teams biggest weakness. Then they got really frisky from 2007 to 2009 and traded up to get exactly the players they wanted in each draft. The free agents were brought in to fill holes that the short drafts wouldn't allow the Jets to fill otherwise.

The problem with the approach was that for most players in the NFL 30 is a wall and their play begins to decline dramatically after that point and injuries finish the deal if the play stays steady otherwise. So the 2011 Jets were close to running on empty, with a bollixed cap and older vets dropping out at key positions and not enough young talent to make up the difference. The 2010 Jets draft was very short also due to trades for other vets to beef up the window.

If you do what the Jets did from 2007 to 2011 you're going to wind up at 4-12 a lot of the time when the dust has settled and that's what happened.

Right now we're basically right back where we were in 2007 with the only real difference being that the basis of the team is now in the young defensive linemen instead of the offensive line. We also have no real QB going into the season instead of a proven guy who got hurt and crippled the offense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. nyjunc

the Cotch thing is still a mystery, he asked for his release and for some reason we granted him his wish. that was a killer move. I believe adding Mason and subtracting Coth was the biggest killer.

11. 101GangGreen101

I know it's speculation, but I think it was because of Holmes.

12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree

Jake and Walt White like this.
  13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Exactly...another fantasy football fan that doesn't know anything about real football

15. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Media again trying to be controversial. Revis said Sanchez is not elite. True. Revis said Sanchez is solid. True. And that's even giving him too much credit. He's not solid. He never was. He had a nice stretch / PO run, but as a QB he was always either bad (below average) or just inconsistent. Similar to Geno.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sanchez was definitely solid in 2010 for most of the season and without question in the playoffs. Never Elite he was also solid for half of 2011. As far as better or worse than Geno thus far Sanchez has been better but that is not saying much though.

Our Qb's need to step-up this year for the Jets to make a run.

17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Just speculation on my part, but Revis could have said, "We didn't have an elite QB." I think he meant what he said by, "We didn't have a QB."

Later saying he was solid but not elite seems like damage control after realizing how brutal his initial assessment was.

Either way, it is what it is.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  18. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell Sanchez was a good teammate and worked hard. If he never read the playbook and went out drinking before games then OK, I wouldn't see a problem with Revis saying something.

But this was an unprofessional move by Revis plain and simple. He would have looked like more of a man if he took the high road and said the TEAM came up short. And I think he realized that right after he said it based on the next sentence he said, but it was too late.

19. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Bad news Darrelle we still dont

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Revis after the season. "I miss Sanchez on the jets."

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk