Football Perspective historical analysis of NFL Quarterbacks: Joe Namath

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nycarl, Jul 5, 2015.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am well aware of that particular game, have heard about it numerous times. I have said over and over and over and over again he had great seasons and great moments. what does this prove as far as him having a great career? and did his 2 INTs that day play any role in the 3 point loss or do we only remember the good moments?

actually it sounds like you misremembered the game entirely. it says at the article below he came in w/ the score 7-0 SF. I won't curse at you, all I will say is we all need more education.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/...namaths-return-to-jets-dramatic-but-49ers-win

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Disengenously phrased and framed.

Namath (3 tds) inherited a shutout, Sanchez (2 tds) contributed to one.

More to the point at this ad nauseum stage of the game, maybe it would be best to give it rest with the stale, broken record shtick already. One post after another, same ol', same ol' : paying patronizing lip service then making doubly sure in the next breath to whip out the caveats and the wet-blanket act.

We get it, you can move on now.

3. nyjunc

Namath came on the field trailing 7-0 then eventually trailed 17-0.

there's no schtick, it's about reality. This 49er game proves that, I have heard of the legend of this game for many years. It was always Joe came in at 17-0 down in the 4th and led us back w/in 3. The reality is he came in during the 2nd qtr trailing 7-0 and as great as the comeback was his 2 picks didn't help.

I am not trying to ruin your childhood memories, I just prefer to deal in reality.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Why would anyone that calls themselves a Jet fan systematically try to break down the legitimacy and career of Joe Namath? It makes no sense.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You take the green glasses off on one of Jets most historic players then yes you are not real Jets fan. Not really that hard to comprehend.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Sorry but you're not qualified to tell somebody else they're not a Jets fan just because they don't agree with you on Namath. And you don't have the power to excommunicate other Jets fans just because you don't like their POV. It's been tried before unsuccessfully. Why-I have no idea. He's a Jets fan who thinks Namath was a good but not great Qb.

nyjunc likes this.
  7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Excuse me, where did I say that in bold?

Great memories:
    [​IMG]

#707 joe, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  8. keypusher

keypusher Member

One thing that puzzles me about Namath's numbers -- he didn't throw as many TDs as you would expect, given what a great downfield passer he was, and the yardage he piled up in the AFL. Even in 1967, when he threw for 4,007 yards, he finished second in the AFL in TDs to Daryle Lamonica. A number of posters here have done a good job putting that yardage number (4,007) in context and explaining just how incredible it is. He led the second-place QB by over 600 yards and Lamonica by over 800. But Lamonica threw 30 TDs to Namath's 26.

Year before, '66, is even more striking. Namath finished way out in front of everyone in yards: 3379 to second-place John Hadl's 2846. But TDs are another story: Len Dawson 26, Tom Flores 24, John Hadl 23, Babe Parilli 20, Namath 19.

In '68, Namath was third in the league in passing yards (behind Hadl and Lamonica), and he was miles ahead of the #4 guy (Bob Griese, as it happens). But Namath was fifth in TDs (15), barely half as many as Hadl (27), who was followed by Lamonica (25), Griese (21), and Dawson (17). In 1969, Lamonica and Namath finished #1-2 in both passing yards and TDs. Yards 3302-2734, but the TD disparity was much bigger, relatively: 34-19.

Again, this doesn't mean Namath shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Maybe it's nothing more than a statistical quirk. But it's strange, and I've never seen anyone try to explain it.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the rushing td #'s look like on those teams.

In '66...the Chargers had 9 rushing tds vs. 15 for us.

I'm too lazy to look up any more.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Too bad it was wasted on that moron, junc. He should be permanently banned and that would put us ALL out of our misery and make this board 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 better.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great minds...I was thinking the exact same thing. Not too many teams had a backfield like Boozer and Snell. Joe got us close, then those two would probably take over.

12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don't wear "green glasses" I just give my opinion on Jets player as a player just like I would any other player on another team. As for you telling me I'm not a "real Jets fan"? Ok dude if you say so.

13. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Here what I don't get? If a guy is that bad why not just ignore him?

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yup. Weeb Ewbank loved the draw so much it's probably mentioned on his tombstone.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The most important question in this entire thread is, obviously, who was the genius that unbanned nyjunc so he could immediately start thread-defecating again?

16. nyjunc

I like to live in reality. I don't pretend that everything w/ my team is/was the greatest. I have not bashed Joe, just discussed him realistically. I am here to learn, I am here to help others learn. the more we all learn the better off we all are.

this is nonsense, this is not some small college town where a team can do no wrong.

I didn't say you said that but that has been the theme through the years with that game and the other poster said:

that was incorrect.

He had many more great memories than just SB III.

Instead of taking shots you should brush up on history as that post was inaccurate.

I will compare his pass TDs vs. leader and rush TDs on each team:

1965:
    Namath was tied for4th in the AFL in TDs(18), Jets rushed for 11 TDs

Dawson led w/ 21: KC ran for 15
    Hadl 20, SD ran for 12
    Blanda 20, Hou ran for 10

Only Houston ran for fewer TDs(by 1) and Blanda threw 2 more than Joe

1966:
    Namath was 5th w/ 19 TDs, Jets ran for 15

Dawson had 26 TDs, KC rushed for 19
    Flores had 24, Oak rushed for 13
    Hadl had 23, SD rushed for 9
    Parilli had 20, Bos rushed for 17

only SD had fewer

1967:
    Joe was 2nd w/ 26 TDs, NYJ ran for 17

Lamonica threw 30, Oak rushed for 19

1968:
    Joe was 5th w/ 15 TDs, NYJ ran for 22

Hadl had 27, SD ran for 12
    Lamonica had 25, Oak ran for 16
    Griese had 21, Mia rushed for 12
    Dawson had 17, KC rushed for 16

all rushed for for fewer, Joe had much less attempts than previous years

Joe was tied for 2nd w/ 19, NYJ ran for 14

Lamonica threw 30m Oak rushed for 4

had many more TDs but difference in rush TDs to pass TDs still favored Oak

the premise that we ran for more TDs is a false one outside of 1968

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Come on PCL we all know you are not a fan of the team.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What? He has not been a player in your lifetime you have never seen him play and is all time Jet great. We know you are not Jet fan but a Geno fan.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Junc,

No, this is not a college town and we are not talking about a current player. We are talking about a player that is in the Hall and you are trying to down play one of the best Jets of all time? What good does that do? We are not arguing Sanchez or Geno's current play the book is already written on Namath why try to tear him down if you are a fan of the team you should be trying to build up the great players not that Namath needs it.

'Criticize the team the organization all you want but trying to tear down a legend is stupid and pointless.That is what fans of rival teams do.

Now, if we want to tear down Bob Griese or Marino I am game.

joe likes this.
  20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me I'm not a Jets fan when I went to Shea and watched Joe Willie and have suffered for many years. Sorry but you don't make that call. I think JWN belongs in the HOF but the other argument is legit. How do I know you're not an NEP plant to disrupt this board and insult real Jets fans. Go back to Foxboro! (ha ha ha ha)