The OFFICIAL UNC Scandal Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Barry the Baptist, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Are you talking about this as me taking a shot at you?

Where did I personally attack you junc?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

yes, you are mocking me in that post and you are completely wrong to do so and nothing has been proven about the men's basketball team. the NOA was in favor of them, Roy was not named and the men's basketball team was not named specifically in any of the allegations. they were named in the report b/c they did have players take those classes but they were not steered there, they were not changing grades, they were not doing it to keep players eligible like the school that actually cheated where their coach lost wins and it was proven they were cheating to keep players eligible.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

No junc, I'm mocking the notion that the basketball team is innocent in all of this, UNC is skating on thin ice, you can believe it or you can deny it but they as in the not just the basketball team but the entire university in trouble. There is plenty to indicate that the basketball team was involved you just choose not to accept it as fact but you seem to continue to point to some school funded research that says they didn't do anything wrong. That could be you just being contrarian or having your head in the sand. I'm not sure which but we'll find out soon enough.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill News & Observer's investigation pretty much exposed the smoking gun down in Chapel Hill - forget that sham report involving former Gov. Jim Martin.

That being said, let us instead direct our focus towards what truly unites us and celebrate what we all share in common: that none of us has ever attended the University of North Carolina.

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. nyjunc

The University is not in trouble, some of the athletic programs are. UNC men's basketball is being dragged through this b/c they are the biggest program at the school but nothing found would indicate any major penalties yet people keep talking like they are about to get killed, like they did half of what SU did. mistakes were clearly made but this was an academic scandal not an athletic one in terms of the mens basketball team. No evidence was found that players were steered to these classes, no evidence grades were changed or that men's basketball players got good grades w/o doing the required work.

that "school funded research" opened up a new NCAA investigation, if they don't fund that then none of this mess is going on right now so to act like they just paid wainstein to paint a rosey picture is false. they wanted to get to the bottom of what actually happened and correct it. the easy thing would have been to save money and face by not funding that investigation.

I have more info than all of you guys, I am listening to headline writers or people out to get UNC basketball. if there was any evidence they were doing half of what the uninformed accuse them of I'd be bashing them too but the facts don't back that up and the NOI shows that as well.

6. nyjunc

their "reporting" has been debunked. anyone that takes them seriously hasn't been paying attention.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If I would've known then that I could've skated by and taken sham paper classes with basketball players I may have attended UNC after all. Who wants to go to class!

8. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Since this is another topic that seems to seep into dozens of threads, I thought I would make an attempt to corral it all into this thread.

My question is for nyjunc: At this point in time, what, if anything, do you believe happened at UNC that has caused this scandal investigation. Based on your research, what do we KNOW happened at UNC at this time?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Sanchez Sucks, Just Sucks thread has 882 pages and 17,637 posts in it. I'll bet this one beats that in a month or so.

10. nyjunc

w/ Mark this is a Jets board and it greatly affected our team the last few years, then watching him play well in Philly while our QB sucked was difficult. that's a different case. w/ the UNC one, it's been discussed a million times already, the facts are put there and people want to hang on to misinformed headlines so they can keep doing that.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

idk. nobody here besides junk really cares about UNC. everyone cared about sanchez.

it has potential though

12. no psls

no psls Banned

[​IMG]I gratuated from Nort Carolina .

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Percentage of undergrad students taking the sham courses who were athletes: 47%.
    Percentage of North Carlina undergrads that athletes comprise: just over 4%
    source: CBS Sports [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JUNE 1, 2015

What UNC must do: Fire Williams, remove banners, forfeit wins

BY PATRICK O’NEILL

More important than whatever action the NCAA takes against the University of North Carolina for what is perhaps the worst athletics-academic scandal in collegiate history is what the UNC administration will do to reel in its corrupt athletic department and its aiders and abettors.

The NCAA is between a rock and a hard place because it badly needs North Carolina athletics to be vibrant and healthy. A few years of severe sanctions against UNC means a potentially huge revenue loss for the NCAA, from both television rights and post-season play. Before these revelations of extreme cheating, Carolina had a squeaky-clean reputation, due in large part to the integrity of late basketball coach Dean Smith. That’s all over now. The UNC athletic department will likely never again enjoy such a lofty status in collegiate sports.

On the other hand, UNC, as the state’s flagship institution of higher learning, should see the reputation of its university and the integrity of its academics as pre-eminent and thus institute dramatic and historic reforms. Up until now, the UNC administration has maintained a laissez-faire attitude toward the athletic department. “Trust us,” was their cry. “We pay our own way, and we follow the rules.” This relationship provided the athletic department reckless freedom to self-destruct.

Once I told former UNC athletic director John Swofford I wanted to write a story that, in part, looked into athletic department finances. Swofford placed his hand on my shoulder and said: “Now, Patrick, why would you want to write about a thing like that?”

So went my journey at The Chapel Hill Newspaper as I reported on stories that looked into how the UNC athletics department spent its money. Despite North Carolina’s status as a state-funded public institution, getting financial information from the athletic department was never easy. Then-UNC attorney, Susan H. Ehringhaus, would usually help the AD’s office erect road blocks, and it often required the help of N.C. Press Association lawyers to get UNC to provide the information to which the newspaper and the public were entitled.

Now that UNC’s house of cards has crumbled, damage control has been carried out, but with all the wrong emphases. The messengers have been killed (Rashad McCants and Mary Willingham), the news media have been bashed, basketball coach Roy Williams has been “dumbfounded.” Swofford recalls nothing. Some sacrificial lambs have moved on (Dick Baddour and Jan Boxill). And Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge are gone.
    Now what? As much as it will hurt in the short term, UNC has to give Williams his walking papers. Williams, who likes to flippantly refer to the scandal as all that “junk going on,” is a big part of the problem. Despite his status as the state’s highest-paid employee, Williams did not do his job. At best, he is an incompetent administrator who failed to maintain control over the handful of athletes he was supposed to monitor. At worst, he knew all about the cheating and took a see-no-evil-Joe-Paterno approach, hoping his immorality would go undiscovered.

UNC should also take down Williams’ now-tainted 2005 and 2009 NCAA Championship banners from the Smith Center rafters. These titles were won by cheating, plain and simple. Carolina must own up to its ill-gotten titles and voluntarily disown them. Additionally, all UNC victories for any years in which ineligible players were used should be vacated. Williams – and UNC basketball – should have those wins wiped from records. The Carolina football program, and any other nonrevenue teams that used ineligible players, should face the same fate.

The UNC administration must implement a two-tiered system of control over its athletic department, meaning its athletic director must answer to a dean whose job will be to maintain a hands-on, day-to-day connection between the “real” university and athletics. UNC should also implement a dual system of economic regulation in which the athletic department does not maintain unfettered control of its finances. It’s time to implement a system of checks and balances between the university and its wayward athletics department.

It’s time for honest leadership to prevail in Chapel Hill. The time of reckoning has come for UNC athletics, and the NCAA may not be the agency to provide the incentive that leads Carolina back on the road to integrity. The university must take steps to steady the ship and steer it back to the “Carolina Way.”

Patrick O’Neill of Garner is a former sports and news reporter with The Chapel Hill News, formerly known as The Chapel Hill Newspaper.

OP-ED

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article22823382.html#storylink=cpy

14. nyjunc

great "article", now what did they do to fire Roy, remove banners?

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

you post this shit ALL the time.

[​IMG]

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"The Carolina Way" is about complicity not culpability so rest assured, Williams (or 'Roy' to some) is teflon down in that cauldron of deceit.

Duke students have proven they're move than up to that small challenge.

17. nyjunc

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

fanbuzz ?

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

UNC discussion should go to the UNC Scandal thread. Otherwise this thread will go to 17k+ posts and it's original purpose will be defaced and destroyed.

Mods: please clean the thread up and ask people not to pursue a non-banned user agenda in the thread.

alleycat9 likes this.
  20. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I'll try again....

My question is for nyjunc: At this point in time, what, if anything, do you believe happened at UNC that has caused this scandal investigation. Based on your research, what do we KNOW happened at UNC at this time?