Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Sandy said today that he's not going to fire Terry. There is no Terry watch. He said it's not his fault. No kidding. He blames it on everything in the world except the real problem: lack of MLB talent on offense. He says young players, injuries, etc. The thing is: if we're not going to make a personnel move outside of the org than who do you have a better chance to win games with: Terry or Wally?

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That's what you say when you know YOUR job hasn't been done effectively. You try to not place blame anywhere and hope the noise dies down before the spotlight is on you. Alderson may be the most ineffective GM the Mets have had in a generation. Couple that with the Worst Ownership Group in the history of New York Sports and you wind up with the clusterfuck that is the Mets.

pclfan likes this.
  3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Two legit MLB bats that we could have currently but we don't are Justin Turner and Angel Pagan (who Sandy traded for two bums). As for Beltran they got Wheeler for him and fans are happy with that deal. But they forgot the kind of production from Beltran on the Giants and the Cardinals.

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I don't forget how fans hated Beltran when he was here. Now the trade's no good. That trade was a no brainer. Beltran would've been wasted here the last two years. If Wheeler was healthy that may be the difference in them being right in the middle of things.
    They didn't like Pagan, they got rid of him.

The trade for Dickey brought Syndergaard, d'ARNAUD, and a power hitting OF prospect: Wuilmer Becerra

Going into the second half, and really next year, they have amassed possibly the best pitching staff in all of MLB

They have left themselves with no margin for error with the injuries and the cheapskate roster. But if they add the right guys this is all moot

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Two interesting stats and observations by the Fox crew. Mets hitters are no. 2 in the NL in hard hit balls. And later they mentioned that Mets batters don't take advantage of a shift. They hit the ball (hard) but right into it. And as we know they're a terrible bunting team. So it's how not to build a run when you're in a team slump. Mets being shut out again in the 5th.

#2005 pclfan, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Harvey looked very bad today. Hopefully it's not a cause for concern.

All we need is him hitting the DL

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

He has the velocity but today he didn't have the control. Like five walks. He's actually I think pitching well a year after Tommy John.

8. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Yeah he's had his ups and downs but overall very good.

9. Walt White

Interesting. I thought I was noticing a lot of that, especially Lagares. I thought it was a positive, and I was thinking hopefully the young guys were going through a learning curve and it's part of the process of a guy like Lagares adjusting and maturing.

I'm kinda glad Sandy quelled the rumors about Conforto. I was hoping he might be close. But they're not gonna rush him even tho they desperately need help.
    I think they're really counting on him for the future as their LF.

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well yesterday's game was hopefully a turnaround of sorts. After getting shut out by Greinke they did score 3 runs off of the LA bullpen. And looked alive for the first time in a long time. And maybe Duda and Flores are starting to come out of it. But like Ron Darling and even Gary said a few nights ago. They need to make a move outside the org. Even if a smaller move. To get MLB bats on the 25. I think they could get Amaris Ramirez cheap but they would have to pick up some of his contract. He is almost done but famous for playing well the second half of the season. And there are other lower cost options. There is an article in today's Newsday about how ten years ago when the team was playing .500 ball that Omar Minaya almost pulled off a deal for Manny Ramirez who at that time was having a big year but fighting with the Red Sox org. The deal would have included Mike Cameron and Lastings Milledge. I never thought I'd miss Omar but after 5 losing seasons under Sandy I do.

#2010 pclfan, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

One more thing about last nights game. In the 9th inning when they staged a comeback two guys who didn't contribute were Cuddyer and Curtis. These are highly paid bats they expected to get more out of. Curtis struck out on a ball well out of the strike zone to end the game. One thing that sticks out with Curtis is his lack of Rbis. He has 13 hrs but only 28 Rbis. I would bat him clean up to possibly give him a chance at more run production. Then the question is who do you bat lead off. I might try Ceciliani there for a couple of games.

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/07/30_years_ago_saturday_atlanta.html

Saturday marks the 30th anniversary of one of the wildest games in Major League Baseball history, the July 4, 1985, meeting between the Atlanta Braves and New York Mets at Fulton County Stadium.

The Mets won 16-13 in 19 innings, but that doesn't begin to tell the story. The game featured multiple rain delays, 46 hits and one of the more unlikely home runs ever hit.

After rain delayed first pitch by 90 minutes, both teams sent their aces to the mound — veteran Rick Mahler for the Braves and second-year phenom Dwight Gooden for the Mets. But neither made it out of the fourth inning, and the Mets carried a 7-4 lead into the bottom of the eighth.

Atlanta scored four times in the eighth — including a 3-run double by Dale Murphy — to lead 8-7, only to give the lead back in the top of the ninth. Lenny Dykstra singled home the tying run off Braves closer Bruce Sutter to force extra innings.

The game remained tied until the top of the 13th, when the Mets' Howard Johnson drilled a two-run homer to put the Mets up 10-8. With the Braves down to their final strike in the bottom of the inning, Terry Harper slammed a two-run homer to tie the game once again.

The teams played on to the 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th. Dykstra's sacrifice fly put the Mets on top 11-10, setting the stage for one of baseball's most memorable moments.

The Braves had no position players remaining on their bench, meaning pitcher Rick Camp had to bat with two outs in the bottom of the 18th. Camp was a bad hitter even for a pitcher, with a .060 batting average and 83 strikeouts in 167 career at-bats heading into the game.

Naturally, Camp hit a two-out, two-strike solo home run over the left-field wall to tie the game once again. It was the only home run of Camp's nine-year MLB career.

Camp's good fortune did not carry over to the top of the 19th. The Mets piled on five runs to lead 16-11, but the Braves got two back with two outs in the bottom of the inning to bring the tying run to the plate — Rick Camp.

There were no such dramatics this time, however, as Camp struck out on four pitches against Ron Darling. The game ended after 6 hours and 10 minutes at 3:55 a.m. local time, the latest (or earliest) an MLB game has ever finished.

Despite the late hour, the Braves went ahead with the post-game fireworks show. Residents of the area surrounding the stadium reportedly made panicked calls to police, some believing that the long-feared nuclear war with the Soviet Union had begun.

Perhaps longtime Braves broadcaster Skip Caray said it best when he quipped, "It was the only time I ever got home at dawn with a clear conscience."

Some other notables and oddities from the game:

Keith Hernandez hit for the cycle for the Mets, doubling in the first inning, tripling home two runs in the fourth, homering in the eighth and singling in the 12th. He went 4-for-10 on the night, plus a walk.

• Four players batted 10 times each in the game, including Hernandez, Wally Backman and Ray Knight for the Mets. Harper went 5-for-10 for the Braves.

• Future Hall-of-Famer Gary Carter caught all 19 innings for the Mets. The Braves split duties behind the plate between Rick Cerone and Bruce Benedict, who entered the game in the top of the 10th inning after Cerone was lifted for a pinch-runner.

Howard Johnson entered the game as a pinch-hitter for the Mets in the top of the ninth, and went on to go 3-for-5. Gerald Perry did not enter the game until the 10th for Atlanta, but batted four times.

• Both teams used seven pitchers, with Gorman throwing six innings of relief for the Mets. Terry Leach went four and Doug Sisk 4.1 for New York. For Atlanta, Terry Forster threw four innings out of the bullpen and Gene Garber and Camp went three each.

• The Braves used 23 players in the game and the Mets 22. The only Braves who did not appear were pitchers Steve Bedrosian (who had started two days earlier) and Pascual Perez (who was scheduled to start the following day). For the Mets, only pitchers Sid Fernandez (who started on July 1), Ed Lynch (the July 3 starter) and Rick Aguilera (the July 5 starter) did not appear in the game. Both Lynch and Aguilera pitched complete games in those starts. Darling had pitched eight innings two days prior to his one-inning stint to end the 19-inning game.

In a sad postscript, Camp later went to prison for conspiring to steal $2 million from a mental health facility in Augusta, Georgia. He died in 2013 at age 59.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Remember like it was yesterday.

Was married barely a month, living in Teaneck NJ.

What a wild game.

_

14. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Matz with a great outing once again. He kept getting behind on hitters but knew he had the stuff to eventually get them out. Funny how Noah and Matz looked great and Harvey did not. Harvey doesn't like the 6 man rotation but everyone else seems to be okay with it. Maybe I'm too hard on him because of his TJ surgery. But I still say trade him for a haul of offensive players.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

That's kind of a bold theory. One that I never even thought of. You could definitely get a big time bat or a few good ones for Harvey. The org probably doesn't love the guy and his agent is Boras. Even though he's still recovering from a major injury overall he's pitched well and could be elite over the course of his career. With Boras don't know if the Coupons want to pay him the top shelf money that he'll demand. Kershaw money. But I keep him. It would be like trading Seaver. The Mets biggest mistake. I wouldn't want to repeat a blunder like that.

16. no psls

no psls Banned

Nobody cares where you were living !!!!

17. JStokes

I never thought Matz was going to be this good. I know it's only 2 starts, but he looks really really polished.

_

18. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

And I wouldn't even go that far. In both starts he had to tough it out the first 2 innings but then settled in. He has trouble consistently hitting the outside part of the plate but when he goes down 3-0 he throws the cheese and they can't hit it. Gave up only 2 singles to that Dodger lineup yesterday. I'm thrilled

19. JStokes

I feel spoiled with the young guns. We get Niese tonite and I'm kind of bummed.

_

20. Walt White

How about Yasiel Puig?

What a drama queen he is. His body language sucked the whole series. Guy acts like a spoiled bitch.

I hate the Dodgers to boot.

I really hope we rob them for Niese