Game of Thrones HBO Weekly Discussion (Enter at your own risk of Spoilers.)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 15, 2011.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Of course they played the father element of his character off against the cold, duty-bound side. It's a bit clichéd, but its effective. Sure he's an asshole, but he at least doesn't do it on a whim like the Mad King. Its all driven by what he perceives as his duty. Remember, Melisandre told Stannis that he would betray his family in season 2.

Don't know how Davos will take it, though I think he knew it was coming. He let Robert's bastard go on Dragonstone when Melisandre wanted to sacrifice him, so might feel indirectly responsible.

I'm guessing that Drogon has taken Danaerys to the ruins of Old Valeryia. So that the shot of him there and the encounter with the stone men while Jorah and Tyrion were there makes more sense in the overall story.

Good episode, though nothing like on a par with previous episode 9s. I suspect next week will be off-the-scale epic.

2. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

Also that Ramsay so easily fucked up his camp. Stannis is supposed to be the best military mind in Westeros and he lets 20 guys come in and destroy his entire food supply. Not buying it...

Plus we need more Davos. He's the only redeemable character in the Stannis storyline. I hope he turns on Stannis after they burned Shireen.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

These plotholes are being detected due to the show veering far... far off the books.

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Wasn't a fan of the Stannis thing, not for the act itself but the storytelling was just kind of sloppy, as others have pointed out. Honestly I'm more interested in Arya's storyline, I want to see if she kills Ser Meryn Trant instead and how that goes with the faceless men.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Not sure if this was discussed, but why was Bran completely absent?

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

They pushed off his story to next season. For the most part they have caught up to his story in the books I think too. But felt it was better to save his story till next season

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Even that part annoyed me. Like we are too stupid to realize she wants to kill him for the stuff that happened at kings landing they had to make him a pedophile too

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well that was annoying, sure, but just the idea of her scratching someone off her list is cool to me. The whole idea of becoming a faceless man is that you give up who you were, but Arya can't do that. Evident by the fact she couldn't throw away Needle because Jon gave it to her and now she has the opportunity to take vengeance on someone on her list. I would have liked if it followed the books a bit more as far as her training and whatnot but if they aren't going to follow the books her scratching someone off her list is a pretty good divergence IMO.

9. plasticsloth

Gotta be a set up for how Arya is going to get access to him to kill him. Benioff and Weiss have been telegraphing the majority of this season. Straying this far from the books this season has really shown some issues in their writing.

Couldn't stand before Shireen's burning the scenes with her basically saying "Oh reading is so grand. I'm so happy at this moment. I love being alive. I would do anything for you father." And the camera focusing on Bronn when he got cut by the Sand Snake's poisoned dagger... So obvious.

BeastBeach likes this.
  10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah so the show just jumped the shark for me.

I'm basically done at this point.

Stannis last week, John Snow this week?

Ridiculous.

Thank God for Penny Dreadful.

_

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Now that the show is caught up:

The books >>>>>>>> The show

BeastBeach likes this.
  12. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Said the same thing when it ended, but, I have a sneaking suspicion that Melisandre will use some of her black magic to bring Jon Snow back. Especially since she appeared at Castle Black moments before the conclusion and Stannis has bought the farm, or so it seems.

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. plasticsloth

Agreed. Pissed off Stannis dies in the show. Veers off so much from the books it's insane. Where the hell are Sansa and Theon going? And Melisandre and Davos won't be welcome at the wall with Stannis dead. Also hated Myrcella dying. That Dorne storyline was utterly useless. Man the first few episodes of this season were solid and Hardhome was awesome because of the last battle but they're starting to butcher the storyline now.

14. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

They would have to be straight screwing with people to show Melisandre coming into Castle Black and not have her bring Jon Snow back. Unless Martin felt he needed to clear the way to really develop Bran's story line.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

What happened to Snow is what happened in the books...
    All I am saying is now that we are all caught up the speculation can start...

Melisandre coming back to the Wall right before the ending easily means to me that some 'Lord of Light' shit is going to go down...Remember Beric Dondarion? Thoros of Myr?

Come on guys...I think next season there is hope to learn alot about Jon Snow and I don't think he is dead. HE CAN'T BE! They will do something.

Regarding Stannis, what else is there for him? Dude lost it all last episode...I think Brienne facing him in the end was a good send off, but what he did to his daugher was irreversible in terms of taking his side.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Blame GRRM for that, it happened as it did on the paper too.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

All I am saying...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

Good point. That Beric Dondarion scene has been useless up until now, it had to have been there for something.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Melisandre was wrong about Stannis being Azor Abai reborn...I know she senses something with Jon, some epicness needs to come out this cliffhanger. I am sure we will get it.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  20. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

shitty ending to a shitty season...I think it was a body double but the chick playing cersei in the walk of shame had some odd looking boobs didnt she?

Poeman likes this.