If you think Mo is hard to re-sign, wait till Richardson is due

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rinvesto, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd sign up for the $11M man. I'm worried about the $14M version.

2. Br4d

It's not clear the Jets can keep Mo and Richardson. They certainly can't keep them if they're both $14-15M a year guys. That'll just never work. You can't pay 3-4 DE's and DT's like that and maintain the cap. Not unless they're J.J. Watt and Ndamukung Suh and I have my doubts about Suh.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I understand, but if we lose Mo now, then we may be stuck paying Richardson way more than he's worth just to keep 'some' talent on the Dline. By paying Mo now we won't be forced to overpay Richardson b/c we'll still have Mo and Williams. We can offer Richardson a fair++ contract and if he leaves, he leaves. It won't kill us.

4. Br4d

So you want to overpay Mo now because we may have to overpay Richardson in 2 or 3 years?

Richardson is under contract until the end of 2016. Then the Jets have the affordable 5th year option in 2017. That's far enough in the future that doing something weak with Mo now to avoid trouble then is insane.

Here's how that scenario turns out: Richardson knows the Jets caved to Revis and Wilkerson and the only way to keep him is to cave to him.

#24 Br4d, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I was just going on the thread premiss that Richardson will be even more difficult to sign.

6. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that Sheldon will be VERY hard to resign.

rinvesto likes this.
  7. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I think we can afford to keep both players. Cro and Revis will get released or restructure as their play will drop off in the very near future.

8. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Like the Pirates owner said to Ralph Kiner. "I can finish in last place just fine without you." 100 million my arse. Manish should be the NFL's next unemployed beat writer.

9. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

I agree, we can lose just as well without him. I dont want him to leave but if he wants 100m SEE YA LATER

10. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

No way he gets $100 mil. Manish must be getting treated for glaucoma.

11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Reading Sheldon's tiresome comments in todays paper, and I do find Sheldon's mouth tiresome, I can only think how hard it is going to be to sign him. Whether Mo is here or not. That is really what he is telling us with his brotherly comments on Mo and Mo's value.

rinvesto and BacktoQueens like this.
  12. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yea every time Richardson opens his mouth about Mo's contract it comes off as him trying to sweeten the pot for himself in a few years, Sheldon talks too much

13. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

“He’s worth that penny,” Richardson told the Daily News in Richardson parlance. “And you know what penny I’m talking about. . . . We don’t just want J.J. Watt money. We want it all. We want (Ndamukong) Suh money. Hopefully everybody wants that type of bread in this league.”

Well then both of them can leave if thats what they demand.

14. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

The Situation will be a lot easier, when Richardson is due, cuz there will be a baseline on how to value the 'new 34 DE'. The Problem with Wilks right now is, that he´s playing a position that evolved drasticly over the last few years, and noone really is sure how to value it. In the past, that 5-teq was working to make others shine, and not get a lot of the spotlight (Sacks) themself. For that nature, Teams didnt have to spend a lot of money on those players, even if they were the best in the league i.e. Justin Smith, Calais Campbell. Nowadays that typical 5-teq doesnt exsist anymore, players like wiks or watt are moved around the line, and put in position to make plays themselfs, not beeing asked to 2-gap a hole lot anymore, thus getting a lot more Sacks and attention.

Since this basicly created a new position, and the only such player who already inked a deal is in a world of his own, its tough to evaluate for a FO, what a top 5 34DE is worth these days. Wilks probably looking at contrats, players on other positions around the DL signed recently (Quinn, Suh) while putting himself a good chunk of money below watt, and lands at 14m a year. Our FO on the other hand seems to be undecided. Jurrell Casey signed a 9M a year deal recently, and he´s not that bad either.

By the time Richardson is due, guys like Wilks, Heyward or Fetcher Cox will have set the market for that new position, and both sides can point to that contracts to evaluate the value of TRich.

Jonathan_Vilma, Br4d and BacktoQueens like this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

this is essentially what i was saying as well..
    if we can get Mo done within mutually fair parameters, i'd do it now, this offseason.

to Brad's point, IF he is really holding strong for something in the 14M range tho, i could see that putting us in a pickle.

12M per is about the right landing spot based on the market imo......but hey it's not my money.

Br4d likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

good stuff mein freunde..

interesting points, as i agree Mo is more than your average 5 tech due to his versatility.
    he can 2 gap with the best of them, but also can lineup anywhere on subpackages.
    we're going to start seeing more demand for players like this, as the league is shifting more and more towards hybrid/mixed fronts, with guys playing multiple techniques on the regular.
    it's not new, just becoming more in demand.
    Mo might be the prototypical player for that role/s right now.

i think that new market you describe is about versatile big boys.
    you could argue Suh is a part of that. i also think the recently signed Jordan and Liuget are a part of that.
    i wouldn't include any speed edge rushers (whether OLB or DE) in that group tho, and would look at them as a grouping of their own, regardless if they technically have the same position label.

will get interesting if we ever have to franchise tag Mo or Rich.
    you know there will be a battle if we franchise Rich at DT for instance, if DE's get paid higher.
    the traditional position labels are often blurred these days, and new markets are being set.

17. Br4d

Sheldon Richardson is 3 years away from having the comments really bite. 3 years is an eternity in the NFL. I'm not worried about it at this point. You don't get to keep every player you really want too under the cap. You're lucky if you can identify one franchise player and have him play for you for the productive part of his career.

The truth is that none of these guys are going to be on the Jets for their careers. Stars can't be locked up that way under a capped system unless you're willing to have your team be 5 guys and trash. In which case having a star QB is the way to go.

The NFL should allow teams a certain number of cap exemptions for home-grown talent, e.g. people first signed by the team in the NFL. This would drive up salaries some so the players would love it but it would also allow a team to overpay to keep a core player the fans loved without destroying their competitive posture against the cap.

Maybe do 3 exemptions per team with an overall cap on the amount the team can save under the cap of $40M a year or something like that. Teams could just designate a player as cap-exempt and remove his salary from the cap until they hit the annual ceiling.

Free agents would never be able to take advantage of the exemption unless they were returning to the team that first drafted them.

Revis would be exempt and re-signing Wilkerson could be an exemption at this point. Andrew Luck could be an exemption for the Colts when he comes due.

The final step to make it work would be that exempt players could not be counted for franchise tag levels. Their good fortune at being local heros wouldn't raise the prices for players everywhere else. That would still be determined by open market salaries.

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Where is I love U VG link? :mad:

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If Mo and Sheldon have big years then this is going to cost the Jets a lot more $$. This is Mac's first big test as GM. You can't let one of them walk without getting anything in return. Hell, you need to make every effort to keep them both here.

20. Penning10

Penning10 Member

I might be in the minority here but I'd prefer Mo to Sheldon. Sheldon Richardson is a blowhard and comes across as kind of a dick. I know he's a very good player but his production is not as great as some make it out to be. 11 sacks in two years isnt all that great. Best player in the NFL? Not even close. I don't think he's even the best on our D-Line. If we can't afford both I'd rather hold on to Mo who seems like more of a leader and a stand up guy.