I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's soooo much harder to field a great Defense than a great offense.

A defense has to be great everywhere on the field. Like a net that stretches from sideline to sideline. A single weak player will be attacked all day long. Look at the Jets when Bart Scott lost a step or two. We gave up 200yrd/game over the middle. And the list goes on.

But Offense can win with 2-3 great players and 8-9 role players (see Brady/Moss, Montana/Rice, Namath/Sauer).

While a flashy Offense is more fun to watch, a stacked Defense is hard to beat. Whoever said "Defense wins championships" knew of what they speak.

Total cap should be split 60/40 with Defense getting the lion share.

Summary: Sign the beast! Get Mo in here for the next 5-6 years.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's not crazy, I am just interested in the negotiations themselves. Jets still have a good chance of resigning him.

I would hate to ask what he will want, when he returns to all-pro form in a contract year. We have a chance now to sign him to a better contract IMO. Fans are pinning too much hope on Leonard Williams. This could be some Reggie White shit brewing - obviously Mo isn't Reggie White, but he's an all-pro player entering his prime.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

New nickname:

Me Wilkerson

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Wilker$on

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Mo' Money

6. James Hasty

Me Wilkers$n

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mo "Give Me the Damn Money" Wilkerson

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Big Fat Greedy Guy

9. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Smart Businessman

10. James Hasty

A smart businessman would play his cards closer to his chest instead of bitching and whining on the net.

11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

He's not top 5. He's not even the best on his own team, but I digress. The point of the article was not to support getting rid of him, it was to show that good teams have other options in place when they do lose top tier free agents. We are starting to do that and DE is one of the positions where this is apparent.

It would be great to keep our homegrown guy, but its also nice to know that we won't be beholden to ridiculous contract demands and that we have someone waiting to step in if it doesn't work out.

C. Jordan just got $12mil/year ($33.8mil guaranteed) from the Saints so anything more than that should be out of the question. I personally don't think Mo's services on this team are worth any more than 10.

edit: paycut

12. Charlie Kelly

That's the first thing he has said all offseason and it's up for debate who he was talking to or what it even means. You're reaching, just like every other post you make on this subject.

13. Charlie Kelly

He's definitely top 5, and just saying he isn't the best lineman on the team when the other guy is also top 5 is kind of a weak argument, and brushing it off with "I digress" as if it wasn't relevant is a stupid comment. And that may not have been the point of the article but it definitely was the point of your post, saying there was a parallel for the Wilk situation trading away "older" players like Wilk was pushing 30 instead of only being 24.

I personally think he deserves 12mil because I understand how valuable a player he is.

14. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

You assume much. Show me where Mo and Sheldon are ranked in the top 5 defensive linemen in the league from a credible source. That is just your opinion. You seem to think anyone that posts in this thread has to be on one side or the other when I was merely posting a great article I found in a relevant thread. I never said the word "trade" anywhere in any of my last 3 posts. What I am posting and what you are reading appear to be two different things. The digression comment was directed at exactly that fact.

I think your pointing out that most of the stars from GB leave during or after their second contract is a good point in regards to Mo regardless of where we rank him. Our CB spending spree, Richardson needing to be paid soon, and drafting the of Williams will all figure into the contract considerations. We get the next two years at about $20mil so that is probably where his value to the team will lie should we end up franchising him next year. The point of posting the article was to show how great a job our front office is doing keeping control of these type of situations with both financial leverage and positional backups ready to go. And it will very much be relevant in how the team handles Mo. Cromartie's essential one year deal could mean that he ends up being the odd man out in 2016 should Dee or Doodoo make good.

Cheers

15. James Hasty

Just change your board name to Mo's Mom already.

16. Charlie Kelly

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

17. James Hasty

What truth?

Mo wants too much money and we are going to lose him for a lousy compensatory pick.

I saw this coming months ago and we will likely regret not moving him prior to the draft.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  18. Charlie Kelly

The truth is you stretching for any possible rationale to trade Wilkerson no matter what, and you trying to sensationalize the worst possible outcome like you just did is further proof.

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Why don't you start up a collection to contribute to his salary?

James Hasty likes this.
  20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the franchise tag is not a cure all. Mo could easily hold out if franchised and not play until a long term deal is reached. it would not be the first time or super uncommon for this to be the case. it also increases the probability of things getting ugly, and ultimately lower his value in a trade or at least elssens the jets position of strength in negotiations with other teams