Mo Wilkerson: Is He Worth It?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenNYJ, May 6, 2015.

?

How do the NY Jets handle the Mo Wilkerson situation?

1. 1) Pay him exactly what he demands

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. 2) Keep him only if the price is right

59 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. 3) Trade him now and try to get multiple first round picks

15 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. 4) Put it off untill next offseason

23 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

What the hell are you talking about? I think you are confusing me with that jerseyjay guy, please do not do that.

And if you think Peterson is the difference between us winning a SB with the current configuration of the team then I don't know what to tell you, he has been on 2 teams in his prime with Brett Favre (with Favre having a career year) and a killer defense and the closest they ever got to the SB is the NFCC, this team with Geno or Fitz at QB is going all the way??? Come on

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ftr I am not turning on Mac already, but if I had to pick one move this off season I am less than thrilled by, it was the Harris extension. We of course did not know at the time that Williams would be the first draft pick. But now that he is, and assuming Wilkerson is still on the team, it sounds like Harris will be out there for a lesser percentage of plays than they probably thought when they extended his contract. A 2 down player, huh? Hm.

3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

we got martin when he was entering his prime. not the same

jones lasted 3 years. LT lasted 2 years.

im not trading a 25 year old stud defensive lineman in his prime for 2-4 years of a good runningback.

4. jerseyjay14

We are not adrian peterson away from being a superbowl team. not even close.

5. jerseyjay14

even without knowing about williams the harris move was terrible. he made 5M more then rolondo mcclain, a younger, better player. That 5m could be going to wilkerson and then there would be no talk of wilkerson contract stuff. you dont give a 2 down inside linebacker 7.5M unless he is a stud 3 down player.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He would move us closer than Mo would.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I responded to your post where you tried to negate my point about the success we have had bringing in so called retread RBs to our team. From Martin, to Jones, to Tomlinson, to Ivory, stud RBs have helped us win games with subpar play from the QB position.

ADP is not the only piece we need to win it all but he would go a long way to helping us consistently move the chains on offense.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The contract isn't that bad for one of the better tackling linebackers in the league today. Jets can escape his contract in 2 years w/ ease.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/3/25/8292517/new-york-jets-what-is-in-a-contract

I'm OK with this deal for now.

9. jerseyjay14

absolutely not. In fact if we kept mo and added him it wouldnt really make us much more of a contender.

10. jerseyjay14

im not sure how you can say that. i mean, looking around the league i dont see anyone of similar skill with a contract anywhere near that. 7.5M is alot for a 2 down player, and ILB isnt one of the more crucial positions defensively either, at least not in a 3-4.

mcclain got 2.5M, harris getting 7.5 is kind of insane

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rolando McClain misses tackles, he's also not as durable. Harris does not miss tackles. ILB is very important to a 3-4 defense. The ability to cover and have someone stop the run is pretty crucial.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

The longer we can keep our DL together, the better. I'd love to get a legitimate edge-rusher at LB, and our entire Defense would honestly be complete. Obviously, a lot depends on how the players adapt, and play in Todd Bowles system, but we have serious potential to be one of the best defenses in the league. I would pay Mo what he wants, within reason. We've seen this before with Revis. You don't get rid of one of your anchors. Especially not someone who has played deserving, says he wants to be here, and was fine with waiting on a contract.

13. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Wait him out, wish we had done that with Revis a couple of times.

14. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Pay him what you think he's worth and live with it. I can't think of any player in any sport that left for more money with his former team regretting it.

15. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I'd sign Mo if the price is right. If he wants to be overpaid, I'd trade him for multiple picks.

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

You signed Harris to a huge contract. Wilk is worth MUCH more than Harris. Pay him.

17. Jets3399

Jets3399 Member

It's amazing how many of our star players that have been drafted by us ended up being shipped out of town in the prime of their careers.

- Hugh Douglas
    - John Abraham
    - Keyshawn
    - Laverneus Coles
    - Sanatana Moss
    - James Farrior (may have lost him to free agency, I forget)
    - Jonathan Vilma
    - Darelle Revis

Dwayne Robertson honerable mention although he was a bust...

Every single one of these guys continued to play at a pro bowl level. All were first round picks with the exception of Coles who was a first round talent that slipped for off the field reasons. Our first round picks either go on to be traded or busts. Mangold and D-brick seem to be the only ones that have stuck and they were from the same draft. I'm guessing Wilkerson will be added to the list of guys traded in their prime.

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I don't think the Harris contract can be compared. It's not an apples to apples situation. The Harris contract is a direct result of supply and demand. If we didn't move aggressively to re-sign him then we would have risked losing him with no suitable replacement available via FA.

19. GangGreenNYJ

GangGreenNYJ Member

I would like to keep him and run a 4-3

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Keep him for fair market value.....I'd even pay him a little extra

Sick of letting pro-bowlers we draft get away.....Not a bad thing to invest your money in DB's and D-line