NY Rangers 2011-2016 Season + Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by FrankTheTank, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't want to derail thread, but I thought the Caps did a good job of shutting down the team that was 4th overall (isles) in scoring goals, now I realize the streak the caps went on at the end of the regular season to get to the number 2 seed was not a fluke.

I still think the rangers have a chance, the only negative that I see as a neutral fan that goes against the Rangers is how the caps are winning.

They are getting secondary scoring to win these close games, historically that is the difference in playoff hockey between the teams that advance and the teams that go home.

Looking forward to another great game on Friday.

Wish you guys the best

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I've been singing Barry Trotz's praises, all season, smart coach, he's outsmarting AV by playing Torts hockey, collapse down low, every shot is blocked, AV hasn't adjusted, you have to play below the hashes and get to the net, the Caps are doing a great job of boxing out, this is where the Rangers lack of physicality shows up...no excuses either with Zucc hurt, we are getting outplayed and more embarassingly outsmarted

Red Menace likes this.
  3. matt robinson 17

Ryan McD either has
    1. A hole in his stick
    2. Is injured
    3. Has a hole in his head
    * This is where Mcilrath kills us because we could have Staal/DG, McD/Klein, McIlrath/Yandle, get Boyle the fuck outta there

Red Menace likes this.
  4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Main difference is half way through the season Nash stopped scoring. Not to mention MSL just completely stopped producing and we lost Klein's contributions. AV also has not done a good job adapting. Staying the course is great in the regular season when there's no clock, but in the playoffs time runs out.

Still, Rangers got this. Starts Friday, LGR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fans were calling for St. Louis to step up, and he did on that first goal. Great speed and awareness. And he is what? 40? After that, I thought it would be a long night for the Caps. Luckily Andre Burakovsky had a big night. He came out really strong to start the season, then hit some kind of wall. Sent down to Hershey, etc. Looked great last night. Again, I don't like the type of hockey where you let the other team have a shooting spree the entire 3rd when you are up by 1, but the Caps were able to hang on again. Every game has been pretty even, but you would have assume the Rangers come out flying tomorrow night. Games 3 and 4 you had unsung heroes like Jay Beagle and Andre Burakovsky. For the Caps to get that elusive 4th win in the series: Ovechkin and Backstrom need to take over a game.

6. matt robinson 17

There's only 1 problem with the Torts defensive collapse/shot blocking, its wears your own team out too, not saying it will happen to the Caps but 3 years ago it did to the Rangers

Red Menace and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It wears me out. And I am just watching.

Here is the real question Rangers fans: Are you taking up a collection to get HSS's son to Game 5? This seems like a must move. :)

Red Menace and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. matt robinson 17

Can't keep playing like this, the season will end Friday, the disappointing aspect is it seems the Caps want it more...give the Caps credit they are outplaying/outsmarting us

9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Not happening with a night game. Sorry guys. You're all gonna have to hang your hopes on cousin Jim.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. matt robinson 17

What's cousin Jim's record?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

1-0. He was there for the Rangers only playoff win against the Bruins a couple of years ago.

12. matt robinson 17

not good enough, got any other relatives with a better record? :)

13. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

just so we're on the same page, you're asking why our expectations are so high? Seriously? I don't know, let's see, incredible regular season, not to mention smashing the mighty west conference, and on the road i might add. what else? ummmmm, oh yeah, best record in the league this year, when has that ever happened? oh yeah the last time they won the cup 4 thousand years ago. ummmmm, our goalie goes down for six weeks and they all step up and become almost unbeatable without him. they finally learned how to score and bury pucks to go along with their speed this year. wait a second, do you all have about two hours? i could go on and on about why the fuck i was excited and had lofty expectations. you are joking right? and im not throwing in the towel either, the caps never get it done, and until i see them get it done, i refuse to believe they can or that my team is out of it.

14. HackettSuxTNG

Can we all agree to smack the hell out of anyone who blames Hank for the Rangers' recent woes?

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Henrik, just a clusterfuck right now

16. GordonGecko

Yeah, and you have to put most of the blame for this current situation on the coaching

Just like everyone in Vancouver said, it's pretty evident now that AV just is not a good playoff coach. He does best in the playoffs when he gets favorable matchups, otherwise he has no answer

17. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

it is truly unbelievable that during the last few years, with a lot of success in the playoffs relatively speaking, they consistently fall into offensive funks no matter the players or system.........friggin infuriating really. I have to say though being the pessimist that I am, I truly felt a huge playoff letdown coming after a great season, I never bought that this team were Cup faves, they are the Rangers for god's sake. It is sad that Hanks window is closing, they'll wind up losing Talbot, and they mortgaged the future this season all for a second round exit (admittedly I liked the trades at the time). As much as I admire Nash's effort in the games, he can't effing score, so he effectively negates himself. Marty St Louis for Cally stinks for me right now although last year I thought it was great.

Do I jump on the Bolts bandwagon......there's a lot of ex Rangers sprinkled around the remaining teams, it stinks.

18. HackettSuxTNG

Ryan Callahan has played 13 playoff games since has quite the New York Rangers. In those 13 games, he has Zero goals.

He would not be helping the goal drought.

19. GordonGecko

Rangers not dead yet. This team had several long winning streaks all season, there is reason to believe it can be done again

As for bandwagon, I'd be pulling for the Flames

20. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

get hunwick out there