Should the Jets contact La'el Collins?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, May 3, 2015.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

To get him as a udfa clearly mitigates all risk. We would be investing nothing in him.

Him going to the Cfl will do nothing to help him he'll only devalue himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You wouldn't want to sign a guy now who in 3 months could be indicted for murder. It's just not worth it. And being questioned by the cops even though they say he isn't a suspect is still a big deal. Because people in that situation are often suspects and eventually get arrested. This is coming right after the AH trial. You don't need that kind of problem. Maybe a few months down the line if he is completely cleared ok. As for the CFL a number of guys like Cameron Wake have signed big deals coming out of that league. But it looks like he's going to sign a UFA contract with somebody. I think most teams will wait until this is over.

3. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I'd sign him if he is cleared. Collins is talented enough to start right away for the Jets.

4. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Per Rotoworld

After his Monday meeting with Baton Rouge police, LSU T/G La'El Collins is still not viewed by investigators as a suspect in the death of Collins' former girlfriend.
    Collins "fully cooperated" during his hour-long meeting with police. Collins is expected to be a hot commodity if he's cleared by the investigation. There has never been the slightest indication that Collins was the culprit. Due to the uncertainty of his situation, Collins was not drafted this past weekend. He is seen as a consensus first-round talent at tackle or guard.

After they finsihed questioning him they will need time to review his responses against the evidence - chance he can sign later this week if all clear, as appears more and more likely

5. Phyr

Phyr Member

Mr. Collins needs to fire whatever agent or representative he has. If he had kept his mouth shut about not signing and reentering the draft next year, someone might have taken a flyer on him and he could have then executed his plan to not sign and reenter the draft.

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Honestly getting drafted late and getting a UDFA salary is really no difference at all monetary-wise. If anything he gets an advantage being a UDFA cause he gets to pick his team.

7. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

He will probably make more as a FA with teams competing for him than he would have if he were picked in the late second round or later

The Jets should definitely contact him but i doubt they could afford him at this point

8. jetsfanfromtheBURGH

jetsfanfromtheBURGH New Member

There is a max he can make as an undrafted FA. I believe the most signing bonus he can sign for is 86k.

However, he can re up after only 2 years

9. Charlie Kelly

I wasn't aware of that but it makes sense, he'll probably be signed to a 2 year deal with some really obscene option years

10. DJphinfan

DJphinfan Member

Collins representaion is mike Tannenbaums old firm.

Collins has 3 close friends on the dolphins roster that are reaching out to him as we speak..Javis Landry..Anthony Johnson..Kelvin Shepherd

No state taxes will help his contract redeem more money in his pocket.

We currently have a wide open hole at left guard with no competition.

Miami is fairy close to his home of Louisiana.

and then
    of course I wouldn't do anything til he's fully cleared but if his visit went well, I would think we have a very good chance of signing him.

11. NYJFan10

Bleh that makes sense...now I just hope he goes to Tampa or somewhere else out West :p

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Before he thinks about going to Miami he better think about our d-line! don't do it to yourself kid...

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  13. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Why are you on a Jets forum fuk the Dolphins

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Sounds like Rex flew to New Orleans to meet with him and his family. He's gonna be a Bill.

15. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

16. Charlie Kelly

Look at that ridiculous hat

17. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

GOd damn. Why does the AFC East have to be so competitive this year. Of COURSE Rex would fly down there. They should have flown down there before Rex had the chance to get inside La'EL's mind..

Rex is such a likable guy that I'm almost 100% positive he signs with the Bills now. AFC East gets better once again.

18. NYJFan10

What the hell does unsanctioned meeting mean? I thought all teams were allowed to meet with any UDFA at this point?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

If the Bills get Collins that completely makes up for the dumb Watkins trade last year. Obviously they've already called the full court press.

20. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I think he means more of 'unsanctioned' as he didn't ask the higher ups if he could interview him. Also, they probably didn't let the NFL know that they were meeting with him. It has nothing to do with it being prohibited.