UDFAs - Signed and wanted

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Will, May 2, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Wow! I really like the draft and then Mac follows it up with some fantastic UDFA signings too. I'm not used to these emotions.

3. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Wes Saxton! Glad we got him. He's a huge target who struggled with injuries but has good catch radius and hands. He's 6'4, 235 and runs a 4.6. Played with Brandon Bridge.think he will definitely make team and contribute as an H-back or a move TE. I am going to sound crazy here but I think he has more upside than Amaro.

Thought we could take him in the 7th in my mock. Not sure about his blocking abilities though.

4. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

#24 Matty Jets, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Did we bring in any kickers or punters? It seems like we've never had a good punter.

6. Will

Will Well-Known Member

No - not to this point

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Sure we did and then we let him go to the Giants. Although Quigley isn't all that bad and there are always punters and kickers available during and after camp.

#27 Don, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    NYJalltheway likes this.
  8. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

supposedly wes saxton can play

9. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Wow, I do recall hearing Saxton as a 2nd-3rd round pick or so I believe. Why did he go undrafted?

Taiwan Jones was also projected around the 4th round.

10. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Not sure why Saxton fell, no negative remarks anywhere. All reports I can see are positive and predict a bright future

South Alabama tight end Wes Saxton was among the top players at his position in several events at the NFL combine last week in Indianapolis. Will the strong showing help his draft status?

The 6-foot-3, 248-pound Saxton's 40-yard dash time of 4.65 seconds was the second best posted by any tight end at the event, and his 36-inch vertical leap and 119-inch broad jump were both third-best in the tight ends group. A projected late-round pick, he also posted times of 4.49 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle and 12.52 seconds in the 60-yard shuttle.
    NFL sees him as a developmental prospect who projects solely as a move tight end due to below-average run-blocking. CBS see him as the 11th-rated tight end in the draft, but he outperformed several of those rated ahead of him in Indianapolis.
    TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline advises that you shouldn't "be surprised if [South Alabama TE Wes Saxton] is drafted much earlier than presently predicted."
    "Teams love his speed and athleticism and feel the fourth round is not too early for his services," Pauline wrote. The South Alabama prospect hauled in only 20 catches for 155 yards this season, but he missed three games due to injury. In Saxton's junior season, he hauled in 50 receptions for 635 yards, averaging 12.7 yards a carry. The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Saxton is a an intriguing "move" prospect.
    NFL Media analyst Charles Davis says South Alabama senior TE Wes Saxton is a "'move' tight end who can get downfield."
    "Saxton (6-4, 240) was an underutilized weapon for the Jaguars this season, finishing with just 20 receptions and no TDs," wrote College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin. In Saxton's junior season, he hauled in 50 receptions for 635 yards averaging 12.7 yards a carry. "Saxton -- who played with Jameis Winston in high school in Hueytown, Ala. -- needs to improve his concentration level and skills as a blocker, but his athleticism makes him a likely third-day target," wrote Huguenin. "He's a mismatch nightmare and, yes, I think he needs to mature on the field in some areas, but I could easily make the argument he has the most upside of any senior at his position this year," one AFC East scout said earlier this season.

Taiwan Jones probably fell as he is a two down LB who made calls but not always plays in college - also given the talent around him some may feel that some issues in his game were camouflaged and a poor 40 - 4.95 which too many focus on, same issue with Chris Borland who went the the 49ers last year who was described by pundits as too small and too slow to make it in the NFL - look how he played (I know he retired since and that is why I did not say "look how that turned out")

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline believes Michigan State ILB Taiwan Jones is "one of the more underrated linebackers in this draft."

"While I was disappointed in his forty time at the combine it seems a number of teams concur on Jones being a gem at the linebacker position," Pauline wrote. "Teams feel Jones is a smart, heady linebacker who makes up for his lack of foot speed with great instincts." The 6-foot-2, 250-pound Jones ran an unimpressive 4.95 forty at the combine. "The outside linebacker spot he played as a junior for Michigan State was a complex read and diagnose position and Jones rarely had mental lapses," Pauline wrote. "Michigan State coaches have been raving about Jones to anyone who asks and there are a bevy of 3-4 teams who grade Jones as a third round pick." TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports that Michigan State senior ILB Taiwan Jones ran "a mid to low 4.7's forty" at his pro-day.

11. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Walls might be best suited to play five technique in a 3-4 front - tried to include a youtube clip but site policies peventing :-(

12. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Do you mean negative character remarks?
    Because He was projected between 5th round and UDFA based on the places I saw.
    He's a physical marvel, but he can't block, at all. He doesn't run polished routes either. He's an athlete who you need to teach to be a football player.

Here is a pretty good breakdown of strengths/weaknesses:
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/wes-saxton?id=2552404

13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Further up he was a potential 2 according to one mock- did not believe that hype and knew he had a late round grade but his speed, ability to catch and a good combine showing made a lot think he would be drafted and mot available a a PFA.

Negative remarks intended to refer to either character or injury that would cause him to be passed over - he has the ability to be a decent H-Back ala Charles Clay if reports are credible.

14. NyJet4Life

NyJet4Life Active Member

WOW!!

This kid (Walls) looks like he should have been a 1st round draft pick. I mean he is physically imposing, has an array of moves, can get after it. I know he is playing against lesser comp but seriously speaking, what if he was coached up at a major D1 school, I think his exposure would have been exponentially better.

#34 NyJet4Life, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  15. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

He played all last year with an Achilles injury so his numbers looked bad and dropped. Clearly he is healthy as he had second fastest 40 time for a TE at combine. He's a big vertical threat and I think Clay is a good NFL comp. still think he makes team over Cumberland now that we have Kellen Davis to block

16. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that the FO signed Waters but didn't invite Cato to camp. Very weird/interesting choice.

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Huh? I wish we got Waters. He signed with Jax. Cato still unsigned I think.

18. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

My bad, I meant Heaps. (Would have really, really liked Waters though.) Would prefer still give a camp invite to Cato to see what the young man can bring.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea I don't get the Heaps signing at all.

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Wes Saxton sounds like a keeper.