Grade The Jets 2015 Draft:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, May 2, 2015.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

B-,C....

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We are all Jets fans here (most of us anyway) and we all want these picks to succeed.

What I find frustrating is how some people will not give two shits about a prospect before we draft them and then will viciously defend the pick not because they believed in the player before but can not accept that our front office may have made a mistake.

If you like the pick then explain why you think that player is so special and why they will succeed here.

The name calling, finger pointing and damnation of anyone or anything critical of this draft is detracting from what should be an evaluation of our draft and what our new GM is doing (or not doing) to help us win.

74, legler82 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

no one knows either way

legler82 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying here, and you definitely have a point. That said, however, maybe they're willing to take a chance on a player with character issues in the 5th round, but not a lot earlier (1st or 2nd round). If that's the case, then I agree with them, and can't blame them. I wouldn't take someone with character issues in the 1st or 2nd round, particularly in my very first draft. Some of the guys, I wouldn't have taken if they had fallen to the 5th. The best players are not always the most talented. Lots of very talented players never make it in the NFL. Attitude, heart, mental maturity and toughness, and character are HUGE factors. It's just like the prettiest woman isn't always the best wife material. Beauty is only skin deep. Talent isn't everything, especially when it can be totally undermined by poor character and illegal actions.

5. NCJetsfan

ROFLMAO!

6. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

B+. I didn't like the 4th round pick, the QB's in the is draft were poor and there were better options, but rounds 1-3 and 5 were strong enough to carry it to a B+.

7. DanR

DanR Active Member

You guys need to make up your mind. Are you disappointed or ecstatic? During the draft so many Jets fans were bashing Mac's picks. Now that analyst are giving Jets high grades on their picks you guys are calling Mac a genius. SMH! How about yall stay quiet until you see them play?

8. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I honestly don't know. I think last years draft had way more talent and well .. we mucked it up but I liked Pryor and Jake A.

So much was done in FA that to me, the Draft was a luxury.

Can Williams start on this DL and be an every down player, and if so how will the front seven look like?
    I wanted Strong, the pick was Smith. I liked Eli Harold and in the trade down got Mauldin. Petty is a better QB prospect than Hurley in my view. Absolutely loved the J Harrison pick.

We need 3 starters from this draft to be considered a success in this draft.
    FA was a "HOMERUN"

Got a feeling that the UFA class will have some great talent

9. NCJetsfan

Round 1 - B+ I pretty much agree with most of what you've said. I'll give the Williams pick a B or B+ just because he was considered the best prospect in the draft by most, because it gives us leverage with Mo, and insurance if there is some problem between the Jets and Mo/his agents. Based on all that I've heard, Bowles is very creative and runs a lot of 4 man fronts, so I can see where Williams will be a very useful player. The one thing I'd like to know that we'll probably never know, is what offers the Jets received to trade down so another team could take Williams. If it ever comes out that he turned down some very good offers, or even one great offer that would have allowed the Jets to get better prospects at both WR and OLB and then in turn RB, then this pick might become a D for me.

Round 2 - B+ This pick was interesting. Smith was a guy I would have been happy to get before the draft, but there's no way he was the BPA at that pick. I liked Tyler Lockett better, but if it's true that Smith tracks down deep balls better than any other WR in the draft, then that swings things more in his favor if he can learn the route trees and develop into more than just a deep threat. I liked the addition of speed and a WR who could help us on STs. I think a B+ sounds about right.

Round 3 - B I love Mauldin's story. How can you not root for this kid? I'm not sure how good he is, however. If character and heart mean anything, he could develop into a quality player, but he could also possibly not even make the team or be only a backup at best. I'll give this pick a B just because of Mauldin's character and it addresses a need, although we needed a speedy OLB, and he isn't that. The trade down is puzzling since we wound up missing out on Coleman, Duke Johnson and others. Mac said that he liked adding more picks and that they had a group of about 12 players rated evenly, so it makes sense in that light. Someone suggested that perhaps the Jets wanted AJ Cann and when he was taken a couple of picks before us, Mac decided to move down because he didn't think the value was there for any of the other players. That makes sense. Adding Coleman or Johnson could have been huge for our offense. If Mauldin doesn't pan out as at least a solid starter, then this pick gets downgraded to an F.

Round 4 - B- I'm not sure I would have taken Petty. He has some talent and potential, but I think has about 3 or 4 times the work to do that Mariota would have had to do. I think he probably needs to sit for 2 years at a minimum. That the Jets traded up to make sure that they got him says that they think he has some potential, and with the importance of the QB position, I'll give them a B-. It's worth losing a 7th round pick to insure you get the player you want, particularly when you have another. If it had been my pick, I think I might have gone with an OL or RB here.

Round 5 - B Like some others, I'm not wild about adding a player with character issues, but if it's just work ethic, then at least we don't have to worry about his being suspended or winding up in legal trouble. The flip side of that is that even some of the pot heads and guys who wind up in legal trouble, still have a great work ethic and become very good players. This is a boom or bust pick, and the 5th round and lower is the place to take a flyer on a kid like this. With our OL issues and the DL we'll be facing this season, I can understand his rolling the dice on Harrison. I sure hope it pans out. We need it to.

Round 5 - A+++ Getting Marshall and Simon for the Jets' original 5th round pick was both a great move and lucky.

Round 7 - D Getting Zac Stacy may turn out to be a good move, but I don't really see the point since he is basically the same kind of RB as Ivory and Ridley, and we need a RB that's a HR threat and a great receiver. I don't understand Olomu falling to the 7th round, and unless teams are thinking he'll never play again due to the injury, or will only be a nickel back because of his size, then I'd rather have seen the 7th round pick used on Olomu.

Overall, I'll give it a solid B+. Even forgetting Mariota, seemingly it wasn't as good a draft as I had hoped it would be. It was pretty solid, but not spectacular. Of course, in 2-3 years, it could look a LOT better. All in all, pretty darned good for a rookie GM, and was professional. I would love to have seen what Mac would have done with the 12 picks we had last year. To quote one of my favorite posters, "F* YOU IDZIK!"

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You are barking up the wrong tree. You are making a straw-man argument here.

1. Did Mac ever say [Jets will draft solely based on PLAYER CHARACTER]? Because last time I checked, he emphasized this thing called [VALUE]. Yes. That's right. Value. They didn't pass on Gregory simply because they were scared of his other issues. Obviously that did play into the whole calculation, so it is possible that they considered him at one point, then thought [he is not worth the risk] or [there are better alternatives than what he brings with all the excess baggage.]

2. That argument goes hand-in-hand with Leonard Williams pick. Jets didn't even need a defensive lineman. Are you suggesting Jets drafted Williams because of his sterling ethics and moral befitting the 1st round pick? [Yeah. This is the straw-man argument I am talking about. It is ludicrous.]

3. So really nothing in inconsistent. It's just risk assessment. They were not willing to spend high 2nd round pick for Randy Gregory, given the excess baggage that comes with him - even with all the tangible assets he could bring to the table.

11. BleedGreen89

We won the fucking draft. the haters can eat shit

Walt White and BleedingGreen55 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Grow up. People can disagree agreeably. Just because some may not like some or all of the picks doesn't mean that you have the right to slam them. Mac doesn't need you to defend him.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Easily an A+ draft atleast on paper as of right now.

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

williams is going to play 95% of the snaps. its an A+ pick. its really not difficult. we are going to play 4 down lineman more often then not.

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  15. BleedGreen89

You can debate every pick except the Williams pick...it was a no brainer, the kids a sure thing a friggin monster. If we passed on him everyone should have been fired

James Hasty and jerseyjay14 like this.
  16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you woud basically be saying "yea, lets pass on reggie white"

17. BleedGreen89

Im so happy Washington is the epitome of incompetence although I did call them taking Scherff

18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

A + Draft

Bryce Petty will be a Pro-Bowler some day and we will look back at what a steal he was.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Almost want to go on the Giants and Pats boards do see what they are saying.

20. BleedGreen89

Someone re post the pats fans reactions to us getting Leonard Williams