La'el Collins Wanted for Questioning by Police in Death of Pregnant Woman

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Charlie Kelly, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yep, he most likely goes undrafted instead of a top 15 contract. Or somebody will take him in a late round and look like a genius if he comes through clean. The cops have said numerous times he is not a suspect, you would think people might take notice of that.

2. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Yeah, obviously if he's guilty he will have far more of a punishment... But if he's really not guilty this is horrible.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ove-him-from-draft--clear-name-190230765.html

Report: NFL rejects La'el Collins' bid to be removed from draft

he NFL rejected a request from LSU offensive tackle La'el Collins to be removed from the draft and considered for the supplemental draft, ESPN's Adam Scheffter reported on Thursday.

Collins' agent reportedly sought to have his client reclassified to remove him from the 2015 NFL draft as authorities in Louisiana want to question him about the shooting death of a pregnant woman who has been connected to Collins.

Fox's Jay Glazer broke the news.
    Collins arrived in Chicago on Tuesday poised to be a first-round pick and had been taking part in pre-draft festivities and charity events. But after reports surfaced that Collins was sought by investigators into the murder of the woman believed to be Collins' former girlfriend — she was shot in the head at her house — Collins left the draft reportedly to assist in the investigation.

Authorities have not named Collins a suspect in the case, but they say he can help assist them in solving her death.

This is a smart move by Gilmore and the Collins camp as NFL teams have scrambled the past 48-72 hours to collect as much information as they can on the highly touted prospect and what his connection to this case might be. NFL security officials, Shutdown Corner has learned, have been contacted by multiple teams — at least five — for the latest news they have gathered on whether Collins might have been involved with the homicide.

That has caused some teams to remove Collins from consideration until they hear otherwise. Although he was projected to be a first-round pick, it would be hard to imagine hearing Collins' name called in the draft on Thursday unless that team felt it had iron-clad reason to rule out any possibility of Collins being connected.

A reclassification into the supplemental draft could've been a bit of a slippery slope, according to PFT, as the CBA is written.

If the NFL granted Collins' reported wish, the league could've avoided one of its teams potentially having to guess a draft prospect's innocence or guilt.

The Aaron Hernandez murder cases have cast a dark shadow over the NFL for the past few years, but especially his recent trial and conviction in the shooting death of Odin Lloyd, with a sentencing and another trial for a double homicide still awating the former New England Patriots tight end.

- - - - - - -

Eric Edholm is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at edholm@yahoo-inc.com or follow him on Twitter!

4. James Hasty

Collins will most likely be the steal of the draft.

Raw deal for him.

5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

If he's innocent, and it isn't cleared up by tonight, I bet it is by the start of tomorrow and then the Bucs (or whomever) get the steal right out the gate.

6. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Assuming he is innocent, the timing couldn't have been worse.

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He should have stayed in bed.

_

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I would take him with one of our 7th rounders... Not much to loose

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

If Woody had gone right to the police, this would never have happened.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I see him going to Dallas who needs to improve their OL and you have Jerry Jones doing the picks so he has nothing to lose..he already signed Hardy, what the hell. Just not sure what round.

11. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Must be sarcasm, right?

12. Snatch Catch

I really think that there's something to this beyond just questioning. He might not be a suspect in the murder, but if he knew something it could be justifiably damning to his draft status. I really don't think they'd totally jack up this guy's career if it was really only about, "hey, your ex got shot and killed, do you have any idea of who could have done this?"

13. James Hasty

Unfortunately it seems that the police are that stupid.

Until he is at least a suspect I don't see how he is there for us in round three.

14. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

Ha! I still use that line in random situations. It took me years but I finally found the whole cartoon on Youtube.

15. Snatch Catch

I don't know, but I'd bet against it. These teams are hammering his agent, the police, and anyone possible to just get an idea of what could be going on here. The fact that they can't get anybody to give enough clearance to his involvement in the situation (i.e. why the police want to to talk to him) leads me to believe there's SOMETHING to it. He may not be a suspect in the murder, but I think it would be pretty easy to clear yourself with NFL teams if this was legitimately simple/standard questioning.