Round 2 pick, may not be popular but I would pull the trigger

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RevisIsland10, May 1, 2015.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's why so many teams were banging down Brandon Marshall's door during the offseason, NOT. Noone know if he's elite anymore coming off an injury plagued year, that's why the Jets got him for such a bargain. If he was thought as still being an elite WR, then the asking price for him would've been way higher than a measly 5th round pick.

Secondly, this FO is continuing last regime's trend of Defense first with a first time HC who was a DC. They have given us little reason to think it will be any different.

The Offense isn't even close to elite. Keep drafting defensive players and it will be the same story as it was over the last 3 years.

If you don't get elite guys on O, then this team will never seriously contend. You need either an elite QB, WR or RB to contend. The Jets have none of the above with maybe the exception of Marshall.

The imbalance between the talent on D vs O on this team is getting drastic.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Brandon Marshall was never a free agent, so it makes sense nobody banged his door down. Injury plagued year? He had a sprained ankle he never rested and punctured a lung late in the year. How is this injury plagued?

This FO took the far and away BPA guy on the board. It has no bearing on the last 5 years at all.

This offense isn't elite, I never said it was. But it is WAY WAY better than the picture you're painting. With the upgrades on O paired with the infusion of defensive talent this offense is in a fine position to be successful.

LAJet likes this.
  3. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

No OL here buddy..Pass-rusher yes...Gregory no. Owamagbe Odighizuwa OLB/DE UCLA....That is my pick here Or the Doral-Beckham kid...WR.. Abdullah in 3rd rnd if available or other WR. But pass-Rusher from UCLA is my 1st choice.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This offense is average at best. I predict the highest they finish is between 12-15 in the league in total O unless they get another playmaker. That BPA came in at a position that we were already considered one of the best at in the NFL. That's overkill. The D looks very good but the O will struggle without deep threats and an explosive back. I'll give you that Williams is a stud and was no doubt BPA.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

If they finish between 12 - 15 and that would be amazing if our defense finishes top 3. Look up stats....When that happens teams win Superbowls.

Here you go...

Study of Super Bowl champs shows dominance on one side of ball is enough
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...-defense-wins-championships-49ers-stats-picks

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I completely agree. A solid edge-rusher arguably makes this defense the best in the league. Also, I will cosign with those that have pointed out that we actually need more help on the offensive line than we do at WR.

Personally, I'd like to see us either trade down and acquire an extra pick to stockpile some OL talent OR take Gregory and go all-in on building an elite defense.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

BTW in regards to drafting a speed-rusher, I think we already have one and his name is Ikemefuna Enemkpali

#freeIK

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Gotta do it even if DGB is there.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Randy Gregory is probably my favorite player in the entire draft, so I would be thrilled if we manage to get this kid.

10. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

If he is there I would not be surprised, nor disappointed with Eli Harold, UVA as an edge rusher but I'd also like to see the best available Oline or WRs. I think it's going to come down to Harold, the WR value and Oline value available. Dark horse would be RB IMO.

11. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

Solid analysis. Draft WR or OL in Round 2.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  12. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Gregory is likely to be the pass rushing version of Justin Blackmon. He failed the drug test before the combine- that's how much he loves weed.

If he can't be bothered to stay clean for a month to be a top 10 pick and be set for life, and if he got caught multiple times in college, then he is clearly going to keep using it. Clearly he doesn't care about the consequences to his football career, and he will end up getting suspended and missing entire years, eventually.

If Gregory is there in the 3rd round he might be worth taking a chance on, but it's clear as day that he is going to get suspended constantly and therefore won't have anywhere near the kind of impact that he should have based on his talent.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i wouldn't take Gregory. way too light and not that bright.
    if we go OLB, i'd take Harold over him.

some good WRs, RBs and Olineman to consider at this spot..

14. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

That's my list exactly.

jetsillinifan likes this.
  15. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

At this point i think taking Gregory is a no brainer and what we should do to actually help the offense out, we already got extreme value in Williams, why not take a flyer on Gregory. By all accounts Williams was the best player in the draft, on most boards last year heading into the season Gregory was the best player. Our biggest position of need is OLB and this is Round 2, round 1 is where u should take extreme caution. This may open the door to Wilk possibly being traded even more than before because i think Couples could be moved back to the D-Line.

And no matter what happens with Wilk i think he if clearly wants JJ Watt/Suh money he's on crack because he isn't on that level and he inst even going to be better than Sheldon so in the long run this may have worked out perfectly trade him while we have options to replace him with Williams and Couples. And get a damn QB next year.

16. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

My Top 5

1. Gregory
    2. Kendricks
    3. DGB
    4. Strong
    5. D.Smith

17. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

i would even trade up later round picks to get gregory, as i think someone would have to pick him up at some point before us. its two top 10 talents that we're getting, that would be an amazing haul even if it was only for defense.

18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I would be interested in seeing a list and current status on all the players over the past 10 years or so that have gotten this "off the field issue" branding during the draft....since it seems like I hear this about a few guys every year.

If history shows that the majority of those on the list didn't pan out, then why risk it?

19. AlToon4prez

AlToon4prez Member

Eli Harold or Duke Johnson

20. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Round 2 Possibilities:

We pick 5th, so I'm going to name 6 players. We can get one of them. First, the two higher-ceiling guys with character issues. Then, the less controversial ones. I personally lean towards DGB or one of the offensive tackles due a desire to improve on that side of the ball. (And honestly, if we can't get a pass rush out of our D-line alone, that's sad.)

Gregory: continues our infusion of youth on defense. Gives us a terrifying defensive corps in the long-term. Between him and Williams we have 2 more young, highly talented additions to what was already one of the best defensive fronts in football. Gregory's off the field issues are a serious, legitimate concern though. It isn't just a failed drug test - said drug test happened at the combine, where every player KNOWS they will be tested, and is scheduled months in advance. If you can't stay the hell away from weed for a few months before that, you are demonstrating a SERIOUS lack of anything remotely resembling good judgement. Yes, he's an athletic freak, but there are serious, serious questions about whether he will play up to his physical potential. Keep in mind the additional concerns about his playing weight, motor, and ability to hold up against an NFL run game, and I'm skeptical, despite his immense talent level. But I'd understand the pick.

Green-Beckham: Brandon Marshall was a great offseason addition, but he's also 31 and unlikely to perform at a high level for more than 1-2 more seasons. Dorial Green-Beckham is a true physical freak with legitimate round-1-level talent. He needs some seasoning, so let him be a red-zone receiver in sub packages while modeling his game on Marshall's. Like Gregory, he has off-the-field issues that are serious, but I'm less concerned (or perhaps slightly more trusting of his ability to get over them) about him than Gregory. In the long-run, you get an incredible physical mismatch who can help improve the Jets' horrific issues in the red zone and inherit the boundry-receiver position from Marshall. Keep in mind our new OC likes his spread, multi-receiver sets, too.

Kendricks: Best ILB available, with significantly better coverage skills than any currently on our roster, which could be a big asset. A very un-flashy pick, but a solid one. Potentially a solid long-term replacement (upgrade) for David Harris.

Jake Fisher: D'Brig's contact starts getting mighty expensive soon, and our offensive line is aging badly. I'm higher on Fisher than others are - I think his floor is lower than that of many other projected top OL prospects this year, and watching the radical difference in Oregon's O-Line with and without him this year showed he's a serious talent. That said, he isn't as much of a BPA pick as some of the guys listed above him.

T.J. Clemmings: Fisher, with a higher ceiling and a lower floor. Raw, but a physical monster. Again, the Jets aging O-Line is a concern.

PJ Williams: If we're thinking long-term, adding in some youth back there for the eventual decline/retirement of Revis/Cro is a legitimate option. Bowles also likes to stockpile defensive backs.

---

One extra note on OL: If I'm the Jets, I'd seriously consider using a 7th rounder on La'El Collins if he's still there, despite the potentially insane WTF legal issues. Yes, there's the chance of a wasted pick, but traditionally you very rarely get return out of 7th rounders anyway, so if his off-the-field issues turn out to not be a thing, you just got a mid-first-round-quality OL player.