Jets Draft Leonard Williams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

From Mac's perspective it's a no brainer. As the new GM he had to make this pick. Williams graded out much higher than anyone else. He just wasn't gonna reach for a lesser value irregardless of their team strength.

It took balls to not give in to the outside clamor and what was thought of as their 'needs'.

This guy could very well be the sack guy that everyone wanted from an OLB, only he does it all along the line.

He's a 20 yr kid and he's a fuckn beast to boot.

Todd Bowles is beaming like the cat that got the canary now with this D.

2. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody is hating on Williams as a prospect. He looks phenomenal.

It was a tough spot with Cooper off the board.

It's just that you can't win if you have studs at one position and flotsam at QB and everywhere else. It takes a team. You have to be able to score points to win and help take the pressure off the D.

DoubleDecker87 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Teddy Bridgewater played pretty well last year. He should have been our pick instead of Pryor.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would have thrown up all over my keyboard. He can't carry Mariota's jock.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Pryor was another classic "BPA", an in the box safety prospect getting drafted by a team with 3 such players already on the roster. Pretty good prospect but was it a good pick? I guess it depends on which side of the BPA argument you are on.

6. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

lmfao

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Oh fuck this still hurts seeing this in writing.

Fuck you John Idzik.

Fuck you with a red hot poker.

_

8. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

People are acting as if Kevin White was the difference between winning the Super Bowl and picking in the top 5 again next year...he wasnt. And I like Kevin White

9. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

That's not true at all. I don't even see a debate going on about White and Williams?

10. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

You wan't a GM that can combine looking into the future as well as also caring about the present. We picked Williams who can and probably will be an immediate impact. He was the BPA and maybe the best player in the draft. We may lose Wilk soon due to cap conflicts, so this fills what would have been that need once (if) he truly will be gone. We are set to have an elite D-line with AND without Wilk.

The 1985er likes this.
  11. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

BPA is only as good as the grader; if the eye for talent is inaccurate it won't work. If the evaluator is trustworthy then drafting BPA is almost flawless. The problem is when the grading is done unevenly or irrationally, thus leaving the supposed gaps in grade between players as either over/understated, or just flat out wrong.

In that case it won't matter what system you use - you just have to hope for the stopped clock to be right twice a day phenomenon.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. DoubleDecker87

I just want to know when enough is enough. 4 D-Line 1st round picks in 5 years still satisfies the BPA guys. What about 7 D-Line in 9 years or 13 in 15. When does it stop? We got a heck of a player but does it make it us better.. We already had the best D-line.

legler82 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Define won't work. For example, if Pryor becomes a Pr0-bowl strong safety and Bridgewater becomes nothing more than a top 15 QB, is having Pryor pushing Allen, who was developing into a pretty good SS, out of the starting line-up and still no QB better than Allen at SS and Teddy? How do we define off-season success by a GM, by the individual players or roster?

14. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Bahahaha we might get one yet you fuckers....Brady??? Hes a dead man!!

Belichick? DEAD

Robert Kraft?????????

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You're putting the past on Mac. Kudos for Mac for not buying into that and "having" to go O when when it goes against his convictions and better senses

16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Seriously, what if Eddie Goldman is Macc's "BPA" in round 2

I can't bash the Williams pick, because he looks like a stud, and Kevin White is far from a sure thing.

But yes, Enough is enough

I'd rather buy low on Randy Gregory in round 2, or even take a shot on DGB maybe. Or the best RB / OL on the board.

No risk, no reward

17. McAllister

McAllister Active Member

It might be fair to say that the Williams pick is somewhat of a "punt" pick, but its 4th down man.

I love the pick, but also would've been fine with White being taken. They are both great talents I don't know why everyone seems to be so strong on one or the other.

The pick has a bittersweet feel to it because it becomes difficult to imagine our line staying the way it is for any longer than 2 years. Let's trust Mac on this one, and see what we're dealing with a few months from now.

18. DoubleDecker87

The past??? Your telling me he doesn't have 2 of the best young defensive ends on his CURRENT roster? That's not the past? He has 2 young All-Pro players at that position and 2 other very capable D-Lineman. It's not like we're setting here blaming him for something. He should grateful he inherited the D-Line he did. His job should be to upgrade the positions that need to be upgraded which includes almost the entire offense and some of the defense. We came into night with several needs and came out of tonight with the same exact needs. We can set here and get all giddy about the depth but bottom line our brand new #6 pick is a rotation guy right now at our deepest position.

I don't hate the player at all. Think he will be a stud and I'm interested to see how Bowles fits him in but I can't support the pick.

deerow84 likes this.
  19. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I'd be much more behind this notion in any other sport except football. These guys are chewed up and spit out by a hard cap league in the NFL. Roster turnover is unbelievable, and mega contracts can be crippling with unmovable guaranteed money.

I really, really, really understand where you are coming from, I just think that the NFL is a different sort of animal. Cheap, elite talent is mandatory at every position possible, as it not only provides production, but also flexibility in managing other players under the cap and being ready for the future.

I mean, look at the Niners. They were STACKED at LB just, what, 15 months ago? Now they're f*cked! This league turns over so much more than any other that I personally think the "excess" or "superfluous" point is waaay beyond what the generally accepted level is in sports. Jerry Glanville had it right - Not For Long...

20. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Pryor was even the best Safety available at the point the Jets drafted last year. It' not hindsight, I preferred Haha Clinton because he was the better cover safety.