How do you think we should address the QB position?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1028, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

this will be addressed in the official fire Chan Gailey thread when it goes up in week 3

FJF, Axel3419 and Charlie Kelly like this.
  2. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I agree but we need to Draft a QB in lets say a day 2 or 3

3. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Why do you think Geno Smith can't be improved in year 3, with Brandon Marshall to throw to now? (not to mention the O-line additions and Ridley FWIW)
    Sure he's been inconsistent, but he's had plenty of good games too (including a perfect QB rating in his last game with a team with nothing to play for).

4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I was just replying to the new OC line, Geno certainly can't get any worse

5. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Oh OK .... but do you think he can get any better?

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not unless the value is right.

We can roll with what we have at QB this year if we have to.

JETFIGHTERS likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem with that approach imo is that shit rolls downhill.

74 and xxedge72x like this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

QB or no QB winning the SB this year would be a stretch.

There is no one year rebuild for us.

We have time to fix QB the right way instead of grasping at straws.

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

We've had 45 years to fix the QB the right way and we've failed for 45 years.

Yeah, let's wait till next year.

Or the year after.

Or after that.

What's another decade?

_

lucrazy719 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed, but drafting Mariota is NOT grasping at straws in spite of what some of you think. Trading for Rivers or Brees is grasping at straws and moves of sheer desperation.

11. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Once I stopped laughing (which took a while), I couldn't decide whether I should report this post for obscenity or report the poster for drug testing :)

#71 Snoopdogg, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  12. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

I would be ecstatic if we can land Philip Rivers for four years. We have an intriguing young core of players plus the occasional overpaid vet (*cough* Eric Decker). Revis changes everything on an already pretty good defense. IMHO we are literally a QB away from being _good_.

Brees, not so much. Mainly because I think he has physical limitations playing outdoors in the cold, which makes him a poor fit for here. But if that issue is deemed to be overblown, then sure, go get him. You just can't find QB talent of that grade.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Rivers would make sense from the standpoint that the Jets have a lot of older short term talent on the team right now. It would be a win now move. That's good and all, so long as the price to do that isn't the future of the team.

Jets need to draft a QB. Not a value QB either, but a guy they want and target. A guy who in theory could be the QB for 10 years.

Whether that happens now, or in a year or two... The longer it takes the front office to find someone, the more likely this pair becomes yet another footnote in this team's history. If they get the wrong guy, it could be disastrous.

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I could not agree with agree with you any more. Under normal circumstances, I'd advocate for a more conservation approach -- keep picks, build for the future, etc., but the Jets are at a unique point right now. The defense is stacked. For the first time in a long time, the offense has three competent receivers and competent backs. This group is, truly, just a QB away from competing.

Additionally, barring a 2007 collapse (or Johnson not firing either Bowles or Mac), this will be the last time that this FO/CS will have a top 8 pick. They have to make their move now - whether it's Winston or Mariota, they have to go and get them.

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Draft a QB in the draft. Trade up if you think there is greater than 65% chance he is a franchise guy. Otherwise select the best graded QB outside of Mariota/Winston as high as the second if needed.

Cut Matt Simms.

Sign Austin Davis

Have Geno start as #1 in camp and likely the season. If we draft Mariota, he sits a year at least period. Allow Davis to compete, and use Fitz as mentor/2nd string but only give him enough reps to fill that role. Should not be much since he is a veteran and knows most of what Gailey will install.

Keep 4 QBs if needed : Geno/Fitz/Davis/Draftee

Give Geno TC and 6-8 games to show significant development from last year. If he fails, move to Fitz or Davis depending on TC performance and where we are in the season. If Mariota or Winston were first round, resist the urge to get him some playing experience in a lost season.

After the season, out direction should be clear. If Geno has developed we have a nice SD Charger situation and could likely recoup the first, or keep him if he shows real promise as well. If Austin does well, keep him and move on from Fitz and keep 2 or 3 QBs in 2016.

That would be my plan.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Sound plan mostly, but you shouldn't stay completely away from the draftee hitting the field this year.

That is - of course, an exception, not the rule. If Jets are up 2+ scores, then the draftee should have the experience to mop up the game.

Other than that, I whole-heartedly agree. Even to the part where the newly minted QB sits on the pine for the entire year. I have been crying out of that stuff from the bottom of my lung - for how long, I don't remember.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he can improve, the issue is the degree to which he would need to improve in order to be capable of leading us to contention. which is extremely unlikely to happen.

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Do you wheeze a lot?

_

FJF likes this.
  19. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

QFT

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

A few of us have been saying this for a month but I will say it just once more, if we don't get a franchise QB this year (meaning one of the top two) then it will be a decade before we have another chance and in the meantime we will be the same mediocre team we have been the last 45 years because of it. Keep that in mind when half of you want an edge rusher or a WR or a OL in the first round.

ILL-AL and MikeSLTJ23 like this.