Obama Suggests Mandatory Voting

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Mar 18, 2015.

1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Voting should be done online, I hate going to the nursing home to vote.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I prefer neither

3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Polling place at a nursing home - an interesting new twist on voter suppression. Forcing voters to walk through a fog of old-people smell is even worse than asking for photo id.

4. Sundayjack

Oh please. Let's at least be honest about this and admit that NEITHER party wants 100% turnout. Each of them certainly would like 100% turnout of THEIR voter base, but nobody wants everyone to vote. As sweet as it is for the president to suggest the concept, here was a guy who stitched together a magnificently successful pageant of a political campaign on money (special interest money included) and turnout - two things he has the luxury of talking about so cavalierly in 2015.

I don't want everyone to vote, and nobody should want everyone to vote. The Framers certainly didn't want everyone voting, proved by, among other things, the founding of this country as a republic. Certainly sounds real nice to want everyone to vote, but our country was founded on the notion that having everyone vote and making them all equal in a pure democracy would be destructive to liberty; this strange "freedom" thingy you speak of.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh! This reminds me of a great line from the movie Lawrence of Arabia, recited by Claude Rains's character Dryden:

"If we've been telling lies, you've been telling half-lies. A man who tells lies, like me, merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it."

Sure the Dems would prefer if GOP voters did not vote. But that belies the fact that if EVERYBODY voted, the Dems would almost certainly do better.

And of course you do not deny the GOP is engaged in voter suppression. Which they are.

Nice try.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I don't want everyone to vote. Women can be just plain stupid and when they aren't being that, they're being CRAZY.

Who thought giving them a vote was a good idea?

_

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fuckin Woodrow Wilson held out as long as he could for us but those damn broads eventually tied his hands.

8. Sundayjack

And you're sure that YOUR political party is pure in this. Your inner child keeps that hopeful flame burning. Fluffer.

In a burst of intellectual honesty that I'm pretty confident you have in you somewhere, you'd admit that even Democrats don't want all Democrats to vote. For fear they'll elect the wrong Democrats. Because, in the end, self interest rules the day, and "politics" isn't about finding divine rulers. It's a business like anything else. Where certain people in the system use certain other people in the system for their own personal wealth. Exhibit A: the inner-city African American community, which will vote lockstep with Democrats each election, but in a city like Detroit won't ever stop long enough to look around at the wasteland they were rewarded with in return. Last thing in the world the inner-city Democrat machine would want is for some free-thinking Democrat to come along and topple that hog trough. But this is noble stuff they do. So selfless. Fucking do-gooders.

9. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Mandatory voting is ridiculous, but so is having a voting system thirty years behind the times.

It should at least be an option, and there isn't a non-party driven argument against it. It basically already exists, you just still have to skate out of work early and go to a random elementary school to hit the damn buttons.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

At least you did not even bother trying to deny the GOP wants and pursues voter suppression. As if I wouldn't notice your deflection.