Todd Bowles doesn't need an Elite QB to win games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Todd bowles had an interview this morning at head coaches' breakfast in Phoenix Arizona.

He told the reporters that Geno is the number 1 QB right now, and that he will receive the bulk of snaps since Ryan Fitzpatrick is still injured.

Bowles and Maccagnan seem non-committal to Geno as they also referenced the draft as a possible avenue for adding QB competition. From what it sounds like, they won't have an issue going in with Geno, Fitzpatrick, and one more added piece for competition.

I honestly think the Jets will try and draft QB Brett Hundley from UCLA in the second round. They reportedly had a private workout and meeting with him and the Jets coaches were overly impressed. He possesses athleticism and a lot of similar features as Marcus Mariota. In 2014 he had a 69.1 completion percentage, threw for 3155 yards with 22 TDs and 5 Ints.

Bowles said that they are looking for a QB who, is not necessarily elite, but is a game manager and doesn't turn the ball over in order to keep games alive. He also mentioned that there are only really 5-10 franchise QBs yet, 12 teams make the playoffs, and many of those teams don't have franchise QBs....therefore it's possible to win without a franchise QB.

Obviously Bowles comes from Dolphins, Eagles, and Cardinals....during his coaching jobs at each of these locations, there was no franchise QB. You could argue that the Cardinals had a good QB in Carson Palmer who went down early, but Bowles is obviously influence by Bruce Arians' decision to start backups such as Ryan Lindley and Drew Stanton.

Similarly, Maccagnan comes from a Texans team who signed Ryan Fitzpatrick and a team who now ultimately wants Ryan Mallet to take the reigns. Both the GM and the Coach come from coaching jobs where the mentality was never the need to posses a franchise QB.

Bowles said that if at Number 6, the best player on their board was a QB, they would take one. Ultimately however, I don't think they are that impressed with Mariota, and would probably even pass on him if no trade was imminent and Mariota fell to number 6.

Bowles only wants a game-managing QB and thinks he can win with one. Is this the right mentality to have?

2. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

That's good cause we don't have one.

3. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Yeah its the right mentality. There are a lot more teams out there without elite QB's than teams with them.

Unless you are lucky and have a Rodgers or Brady or even a Roethlisberger or Romo , you need to work with what you have. You have to know that you cant get away with the same mistakes that other teams might be able to get away with.

The only problem is Geno has shown to not even be an average QB. An average QB can win games on good teams. A bad QB will lose games for good teams.

If Geno , or Fitz , can be average for us we'll be in good shape.

4. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you need a franchise QB to win but at some point in his years with those teams he has to have realized that have an elite passer was the difference between his team and the division rival that his team didn't conquer. Come on now are you really trying to tell me that he is just content with a guy that doesn't throw picks?

mrodriguez4096 and FlaJet like this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Cough mike glennon cough cough

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He doesn't need an elite QB to win games.

He needs an elite QB to consistently win enough games year in and year out to consistently make the playoffs, get a home playoff game, get a bye, get home field throughout the playoffs, to go deep into the playoffs, to win a Super Bowl, to win multiple Super Bowls.

Oh wait, someone quickly mention Trent Dilfer.

_

FlaJet, NYJetsO12, Kris 15 and 2 others like this.
  7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Lol we said the same thing about Rex his first few years.....Once the league figures you out a little bit you really can't go far without a Franchise QB

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You don't need an elite QB just an above average guy.

tbruner12 and Truth4U2 like this.
  9. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Ewwwww Trent D

10. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

How dare you

[​IMG]

TNJet likes this.
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It takes complimentary football. You don't need a surgeon QB but he will have to move the sticks on 3rd and long for you once in a while.

This goes for every team. The teams with elite QBs also need to play complimentary ball to win it all. You need all phases to chip in at some point.

tbruner12 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Mariota. He has great football IQ and will easily learn the 3-5-7 step drop.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

But, but..... we have Revis!

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If he truly believes this then he is a Moron, and he will be doomed to fail thinking he can win with defense alone.

He just came from a team that lost their good QB (Palmer) and were not the same team with their backup.

For the love of God I hope we don't have the black version of Rex.

All teams need and elite QB to be consistently in the run for the 1 or 2nd seed in the playoffs, if you don't have one of those guys, you will flounder at 8-8 and hoping for a loss by another team to get a WC spot.

Geno is not going to get the jets to the WC game, and I really don't know what the answer is if they don't select MM.

I'm still going to give him the benefit of the doubt, but these type of comments have to be filed under the red flag file.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Sounds smart to me. As for Hundley it would be a surprise if we took him in round 2. We just took a 2nd round Qb.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I dont need a Ferrari any running car can get me to work, but i still would rather have one

17. Jetsruby

Yea but it sounds like they want to add another QB for competition through the draft. I don't think they will go draft one high. There was a report a couple weeks ago that the Jets were in love with Hundley.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I saw him play in a few games at UCLA. He was ok. To me round 2 is too high esp the 6th pick in the second round. I might go with Geno and Fitz this year and if Geno sucks draft someone next season.

19. Jetsruby

Maybe it's too high, but I don't know that he makes it to the 3rd round. Maybe they trade up into the late second. I know Bryce Petty and Garrett Grayson are also popular names right now, so he might make it to the 3rd round if other teams like those two better. But it's a risk waiting.

20. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I don't believe in absolutes. I don't believe you need Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to be a Super Bowl team or a Dynasty. I don't think Eli or Ben Roethlisberger are "elite" QBs and they both have multiple titles built on good defenses, running games and not turning the ball over.

Endlessly Counting and Bellows1 like this.