Woody Johnson: "Geno Smith is probably way ahead of him (Mariota) at this point, believe it or not."

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And how does that make you feel?

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Winning football games. Not spending your first 2 picks on Spread Project QBs would be a start.

3. Big Blocker

If Smith is the starter, says here the Jets have a losing season no matter who else is signed at 6 other than Mariota.

The best option is they play Fitz and he plays well enough to not lose games, the D improves to a top ten D, and the running game is effective. Build a winning team that the Jets hopefully can take to the next level in 16 with a better Qb. With Smith not in the picture.

NYJetsO12, FlaJet and jerseyjay14 like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more.....always need to acquire QBs until you have one. It's the GMs job to decide where the current crop of QBs should be drafted.....1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc, based on how 'sure thing' they are (or aren't).

MM being 'one of the best' in this year's allotment doesn't really mean much. He could be the best 'prospect' in this year's draft and still suck. Or the 4th best in some other draft could have realistic potential. From my observation, draft classes only produce a franchize QB about once every 8-10 years. All the inbetween years are crap shoots. 2015 is a crap shoot.

RuJFan likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am hoping Fitz is the starter. Can't take another yr of Geno. I think we can win some games with Fitzpatrick.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I will again state my case on this topic. Geno's stats over two seasons are among the worst ever in the history of the NFL and his W-L record as starter is dreadful. So hard to believe if we select Mariota (which is looking doubtful now unless Whisenhunt is lying) and he starts immediately he could do worse. He would have to be totally incompetent and a colossal bust to be that bad. In other words in spite of Geno's two years up on him Mariota right now is better than Geno.

#106 pclfan, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    NYJetsO12 and Pocket Jet like this.
  7. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Indulge my curiosity: which specific stats are "the worst ever in the history of the NFL..."? Because it would seem that if they were that terrible that the W-L would reflect that and we certainly know that 12-18 is hardly "the worst ever..."

8. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

BS.. I am starting to get the feeling that neither Tampa nor Tennessee likes EITHER guy and desparately wants to create false urgency so they can trade out. I would not be 100% shocked to see both Winston and Mariota there at 6

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Well, Jets will win more than 4 by default. So if this is what you want, put Simms in and you'll get "not losing season".

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

THAT I agree with :)

NYJetsO12 and Pocket Jet like this.
  11. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

That ^

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

For one Geno was ranked next to last among starting Qbs in 2014. It's not impossible that he improves off of a good last quarter in 2014. I'm not against giving him a chance but he's had 29 starts. I'd start Fitz in '15.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Big Blocker

I'm of the same thinking, and concede a visceral response to Smith as well. He's completely lost me. His fans here talk about him possibly improving, they blame everyone else for his poor performances, I call bs. I saw him play. There are errors that go into Qb stats that are the fault of others - tipped passes, turnstyle linemen, rb's botching handoffs that are fumbles, excessive dropped passes. Not saying Smith has not seen a bit of those here and there, which his defenders focus on to the exclusion of anything else. But the vast majority of his errors have been unforced, as anyone who has wacthed the Jets play the last two years will tell you.

So they go to the next level of defense, which is to blame the coaching. BS on that too. The coaching doesn't make Smith fail to anticipate coverage, to make too many bad passes, to fumble the ball. He simply is one of hte worst NFL Qb's I've ever seen, and I've seen enough.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

So, "next to last" in ONE statistic (QB ranking) makes him the "worst ever in the history of the NFL"?

For those interested in actual facts and not made up hating bullshit:
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2013/fo-10th-anniversary-worst-quarterbacks

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'll try to find you some stats because I've seen those kind of comparisons to all time worst. And next to last in the NFL is pretty bad. But your stats are all real bottom of the barrel Qbs and mostly 2nd stringers. Personally I think Geno can improve but right now Mariota is better and has much greater value in the NFL. The best you could get for Geno is a conditional 5th or up.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

The guy named Eugene >>>>>> the guy who played in Eugene

17. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

So, when you make absolute statements like "worst ever in the history of the NFL..." you really mean "pretty bad"?

And when you say something that sounds like a fact it should be vigorously investigated because you probably haven't actually done any research or confirmation of the "facts" you mention.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Really is the only way it can play out right now.
    As far as not sitting down with him, is there something in the cba that limits contact with coaches in the offseason. I seeem to remember something like that, but can't recall exactly what. That said, it can't be a huge deal or cimini and mehta would be all over it

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yup--the CBA prevents coaches from meeting with players until some date certain.

_

FJF likes this.
  20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'd take Winston if he's there (I've talked myself into him) my only concerns are that he'd be walking into an unstable organization with a mediocre owner, plus the combination of the NY market for an immature guy like Winston spells trouble imo. But based on his physical tools and football iq it would be worth the risk. If Mariota is there I hope the Jets pass.