If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

False!

2. GuaranteedMemories

When?

3. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, Spread offenses contain many of the concepts that are used in your traditional prostyle offense. It's not done in a traditional sense, but concepts such as smash 7, switch verticals, the y stick, and the HI LO crosser series are all used in spread offenses. The only major difference is the personnel on the field and often the structure of the formations.. the question isn't if Mariota CAN make complex reads (which he has done to a certain extent), or throw into tight windows, IMO, the question is if he can do it consistently.

legler82 likes this.
  4. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd like to hear the answer to that one too

101GangGreen101 and James Hasty like this.
  5. Dunnie

Dunnie Member

I guess if th consider a turnover machine your right.

6. Dunnie

Dunnie Member

ints

7. GuaranteedMemories

Yeah Geno threw less INTs than Teddy in college look how's that working out for him

8. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Don't get excited. Jets won't take Mariota.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I see a lot of ducking and dodging on this topic.

1. When has Mariota ran a pro-style offense?
    2. Can any Mariota fans comment on the video that has been posted multiple times? I would like for them to rebuke what the scout says in the video.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...helfrich-qb-marcus-mariota-can-run-any-system

"Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich is as nice a person as you'll find in college football, no matter if it's in an interview or you're chatting off the field about any topic.

But if there is one thing that might tick him off, it's hearing about how the Ducks' offensive system is a detriment to star quarterback Marcus Mariota's draft status. In as polite a way as possible, he dismissed those concerns on the latest College Football 24/7 Podcast.

"Marcus can run any system and any offense at any level," Helfrich said. "Our system is our system. There's always that label, 'He's a system guy.' Everybody is a system guy.

"Our system has elements of a bunch, whether it's the West Coast offense, run-and-shoot, triple option, and our pro-style passing game. He can do all that stuff. So much of that is the ability to make great decisions, in rhythm, on time and be accurate with the ball and be tough. He's all those things."

MikeSLTJ23 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

A lot? Only one poster disagreed with Mariota having never ran a pro-style offense. Also, I believe I am the first to post the referenced video and I'm one of the biggest Mariota fan there is.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter that he hasn't run a pro-style offense in toto yet. The Oregon system contained elements and routes of pro-style offenses.

I don't think I responded to the video, but really didn't think it merited a response one way or the other. At this point, posters either believe in Mariota or they don't. I don't recall seeing anyone waffling or sitting on the fence. I don't think that anyone's mind is going to get changed at this point in time.

When Mariota becomes a very successful NFL QB, if not a star, I just hope all the anti-Mariota guys will be honest and mature enough to admit that they were wrong. Should I wind up being wrong, I won't hesitate to admit it, but I don't think that I'll have to worry about that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

I seem to recall a number of people who would be fence sitters. That they are unsure about Mariota, not necessarily for him or against him.

14. 101GangGreen101

yes, you are but I don't think you saw the replies to your post. The scout if anything attacked Mariota as a pro prospect. That video exactly wasn't a ringing endorsement ... I just didn't see what your angle was.

If Mariota becomes a Jet, there's no doubt, I will root for him and hope he has success w/ us. If he becomes a good QB with the Jets, I will 100% have no issue eating crow if it comes down to it, hell I may even buy a jersey or 2 [haven't bought once since Pennington].

I've had my fair share of bashing Mariota [I was prob the one that started this whole thing w/ Stokes], but I've posted times where I supported him [when people compared him to Geno Smith]. My issues is that I want an impact player at 6, and I think Mariota maybe 1 or 2 seasons away from having any real impact on this team. If he had some fundamental tools already established - I think what you know now as a prospect really helps you down the road. Him not being in a huddle, the Oregon system, it's crazy not think the stacks are not against him - they truly are.

My problem, is that I'm just not sold - I love the potential - but again potential is something that can get you in trouble as a football team. I don't even know if I consider myself 100% ANTI-Mariota ... I'm prob the most indecisive person on this board when it comes to him as a prospect.

15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

in 2 seasons this team will look entirely different, as almost all our deals are structured as 2 year deals and we have alot of key players getting long in the tooth at that time

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that you will root for Mariota if he becomes a Jet. Similarly, I know that you have defended Mariota some, and would readily admit if you were wrong. I wasn't including you in my comment about hoping that the anti-Mariota posters would own up to it later. You have been very fair and open minded in your discussions of Mariota, and I respect that immensely.

Is a QB not an "impact" player? So it may take him a year to make a real impact. After that time, the impact he could make in just 1-2 seaons could dwarf any impact any other position player could make over the course of his entire career. QB careers do last longer than most other position players in addition.

Yes, "potential" can get you into trouble in the draft. The thing is, Mariota isn't just "potential." He's had a ton of production in college, and in some areas is better than Winston, the consensus #1 QB in this draft (and I'm not talking about character).

With regards to the scout, he could have an agenda. Perhaps he's from one of those teams who hopes to be able to reap a king's ransom from trading down for some team to take Mariota. Perhaps he's from one of those teams that hopes Mariota will fall to them. Maybe he just doesn't like Mariota as a person or a player. Scouts have been known to be wrong from time to time. I know his own OC and HC are biased and want to help former players, but they're also putting their reputations on the line when they make comments about players. If they make outrageous comments about former players that prove to not be true, NFL teams will stop taking them seriously, and it will work against players coming from their schools, and that will eventuall work against that HC or OC. Helfrich and Frost are both on record as saying that Marcus can run any offensive system due to his football IQ, excellent decision making, and accuracy. He huddled his high school team. So he went 3 years in college without huddling. It's not like he has NEVER done it before. Even if he hadn't, it's not rocket science. You or I could learn how to huddle a team. I don't know about you, but where I'd be in trouble is once the huddle broke and we got to the LOS. To think that Mariota can't do that is just silly. I'm really surprised to see you or any football fan even make a statement like that.

17. 101GangGreen101

Impact player meaning day 1, that player can come in and contribute on the field - that can make this team better. I'm looking at offensive lineman, receivers, a few pass-rushers. I view Mariota as an investment with major returns if he is able to play at the well @ the next level. Of course, this investment would fair outweigh any other positional player on the field, but at the end of the day, he has to show up. I don't really want to look at his production in college, because IMO looking at his production is major fools' gold due to the system he orchestrated in college. At the end of the day, the transition from a spread QB to an NFL QB - you can argue is the hardest transition in ALL of pro sports.

That scout could be 100% wrong, but I can't help but think what he says is exactly what I said months ago. I don't think the huddle thing is a big deal [he has experience here as you pointed out], but the ability to read defenses and make quick decisions in a pro-style offense along with the huddle - I think that's a hurdle that won't be an easy. Apparently his IQ will push him through - I just hope the speed of the game doesn't overwhelm him - the only way I see that happening is if he's out there too early. At the end of the day, it's best for us as Jet fans to see this guy available @ 6 [I still believe he will be there] - what occurs w/ that pick - we shall see. I think we are in better position to sit the QB down for a yr, but man Amari Cooper is one hell of a football player also ... we need help on the offensive line.

I really want a QB just as much as the next guy. Mariota, very likable dude - humbleness [which is why he should never be in the same sentence as Geno Smith], but I still wonder if he will get in teammates' faces at the next level and exhibit a fiery personality, but I think teammates @ Oregon have mentioned he has done this several times.

At this juncture, I ALMOST have no issues drafting the guy if he's available, I've opened up more as the process has continued. Some other prospects soured on me, some I think have true value to this team. Cooper is still my favorite prospect in the draft, I think Mariota has moved up my draft board as I've had more time to look at what he does.

18. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

WRT "huddling", it's not just telling people to huddle up. It's COMMANDING the huddle. Being able to walk up to a group of grown men, taking control and calling the play in a manner that instills confidence. If you will, it's like asking someone to stand up in class and give a speech or explain something. We've probably all seen examples of people standing before a group and fumbling their way through a speech or presentation. Sure, it's something that everyone can understand and think they could do, but actually doing it effectively is a different story. To some people, stuff like this comes naturally. To others, it's something they have to work on. Yet others will never be very good at it no matter how many times they do it.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And how do we know he can't?

20. 101GangGreen101

I think this is more-so an on the field personality thing ... is he fiery? Does he lead by example? Or is he soft? Him learning the terminology and getting everyone on the same page, I think he can do that.