Plethora of CBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cambam71, Mar 21, 2015.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

With Revis, Cro, Milliner and Skrine they are at $29M, add in depth and safeties and they are at $37.4M or so. They are about 48% of the cap to offense, 48% of the cap to defense and 4% to special teams. Figuring almost 1/2 the defense is DB's it seems the 24% of total cap they have devoted to them (All DB's not just 4 players) is a fair balance. I may have missed a couple but they would probably not add more than $1-$1.5 total.

Darrelle Revis $16M
    Antonio Cromartie $7M
    Dee Milliner $3.453M
    Buster Skrine $2.75M
    Calvin Pryor $1.946M
    Antonio Allen $1.542M
    Jaiquawn Jarrett $1.542M
    Darren Walls $1.075M
    Marcus Gilchrist $914,400
    Dexter McDougle $674,000
    Marcus Williams $510,000

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Good summary, and as others have stated, this is one benefit (maybe the only benefit) of NOT having a $25-30M/yr franchise QB. You have boatloads of cash to throw around on extra players like Revis and Cro.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that it's a fair breakdown. That's not including Mo's extension or Snack's new contract. That will definitely skew the balance more towards the D, and when Richardson is extended, it could be even worse. I also think it's nuts and more than a little skewed when the two most important positions on a 3-4 D are the NT and pass-rushing OLB, and those two positions have the lowest contract numbers. That said, I think or at least hope that is just a temporary situation that will change within 2-3 years, so I'm not gonna worry about it for the forseeable future.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. deeznuts21

deeznuts21 Member

It's a fair balance in pay as most of our talent is on the defensive side of the ball. It is what it is and IMO in this NFL era of "A Passing League", if our injured vets get healthy we will have an elite secondary. We could go Toe to Toe with anyone. Which will give our line time to get coverage sacks. I am not worrying about the cap as GM's can be very inventive .. I would personally trade the 6th pick and keep Adding on talented youngins. I would not doubt the salary cap being raised again as it did this year. The NFL does not want to see a bunch of bum talentless teams playing as it would be bad for ratings lol.

5. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Regarding Cro, I don't know how we went from "he's a bum get him out of here!" to giving him 8 mil a year. Was he really that awesome last year?

6. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was saying. I guess it has something to do with the fact that he was our #1 CB that year, and with being hurt he was a liability. He apparently did well last season as Cards #2 CB on the other side of Peterson. I guess that's what Mac and Bowles were going for since we now have Cro complimenting Revis.

I just worry that it wasn't too much of a knee jerk reaction to last years abysmal secondary situation. It was a bit of an overpayment for Cro, but let's see how it pans out before we judge the deal too much. After all, we certainly may have a top 5 secondary with each of the pieces we added.

7. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

The Jets desperately needed CBs after last season. I think they overpaid for Cro, but Milliner suffered a terrible injury for a CB and McDougle is a complete unknown.

8. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Why do we keep thinking McDougle is going to be a part of this team in the future? He was a total reach in the 3rd round with an injury history picked by the previous regime. There's a very high possibility that he does nothing in the NFL and an even higher chance that, if he does, it won't be as a Jet.

I'd much rather give opportunities to Marcus Williams who showed us a little bit last year.

ajax, TwoHeadedMonster and tomdeb like this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Could not have said it better--I was stunned when "Rex" (woof, woof) reached for "McDogbiscuit" in the 3rd round. Two sources that I read before the draft predicted him as an undrafted free agent.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because he's young, was very good in college, and it would be colossally stupid to just write him off now.

11. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Give the kid (McDougle) a chance before you completely dismiss him, or on the other end of the spectrum, anoint him a starter. We just have to wait and see how he performs and how the CS evaluates him. It is pretty dumb to just give up on him because he was "an old regime pick" or a "3rd round reach" and we have a completely revamped secondary. He was picked there for a reason, and we will just have to wait and see what he can bring.

I also want to see what Marcus Williams can bring too, since he seemed to be a silver lining of last season.

12. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I think Cro is a 2. When he was forced into the 1 he was exposed and aggravated people. As a 2, love him. Just my take

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Did they access his Pro Day?

Sounded like he was having a very good camp last year before he got hurt.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Yes, and in 2012 as well.

#34 James Hasty, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It does seem like a lot at first, but you have to think a little more outside the box. Milliner has been injury-plagued throughout his career back through college and is coming off of one that puts his availability for the start of 2015/his career? in question. McDougle has now barely played since several games in college in 2013 and is coming off of two major injuries. Darrin Walls has shown to be a deep reserve-caliber player and Marcus Williams definitely showed something last year, but not enough to be counted on for a significant role. It's conceivable that McDougle and or Milliner may not amount to much in the NFL, but it's much better to have them in developmental and reserve roles than being counted upon to be able to play and play well.

And we all know how important depth at CB is... I'd rather this team have a plethora of corners rather than picking off of teams' practice squads midseason due to lack of talent and injuries.

This regime chose to bypass major question marks and make this position an instant strength that will, by itself, make this team MUCH better in 2015.

And they still have about 12M in cap space after all this.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He was never a bum..only some idiots on this sight though that. He was hurt in 2013 and those same idiots thought that was entire career's work. Oh, and he made the proi bowl last year for the third year in a row so yeah I guess compared to the garbage we had last year he was really that awesome.

James Hasty likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I hope McDougle ends up being a star for the jets, but I won't hold my breath. With ALL the needs the jets had in last year's draft, I was shocked that they reached in round 3 for a guy that NFL.com pegged as a late-7th rounder at best--more concerning to me was the fact that he had ALREADY overcome two serious injuries, one of which cost him his senior year of college football. Guess what, he got hurt a week or so into training camp--Glad we got rid of Bradway and whoever else scouted these people for the old jets.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Last year we didn't have enough and most coaches say you can't have enough corners due to injuries. Some fans want to bring back the past and that comes into play for their extreme desire to bring back Revis and Cro. I agree with Revis who will give us not only the best corner in the NFL but a leader on defense. And spending a year with Belichick isn't going to hurt either. He knows how to play smarter than he did a year ago. As for Cro he's being overpaid and I wouldn't have given him that contract. But I have no gripes about it either.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I guess if the new regime cuts McDougle we'll see if he was a Rex pick.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Rex went over the reason he was picked in a press conference. He was initially spotted by Dennis Thurmon, exactly when and how I don't remember. A lot of the web sites and media that do ratings of players, and their so called scouting reports, are done some times even before the Combine, and even the Senior Bowl.
    The draft process is a long one, that's why you see the boards change as it leads to draft day as more info is attained. Also, most of the media doesn't have the access, or the resources, to all the info that the teams do. Pro days, interviews, private workouts and the like. McDougle, because he didn't play during the second half of the season, was outside the radar of the media, not necessarily the teams. By some accounts he moved up the boards of many teams.
    As far as I'm concerned the housecleaning of the team was a Godsend. But nobody knew he was gonna get hurt, and they didn't just pick him out of nowhere. There's players up and down the draft that get picked with worse injuries than he had.

The kid can play. I really hope he gets it done.

#40 Walt White, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    NCJetsfan and TheJetLife like this.