What is Wilkerson worth to you?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Mar 20, 2015.

?

What would it take for you to part with Mo Wilkerson?

1. Top five pick this year

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Pick 6-10 this year

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Pick 11-20 this year

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Pick 20-32 this year (first rounder)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2016 First round pick

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. 2015 Second rounder

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. 2015 Third rounder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Player(s) / Other - post in thread

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Just pay the man, multiple first rounders wouldn't change my mind.

42 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

edge rushers are always going to get more then interior lineman..unless your on watt and suh level

2. milo

milo Well-Known Member

If we're trading him because we're worried we can't afford him than nothing because we can.

You estimate the 2016 cap at a REALLY conservative. 150 million we have $20,733,819 (http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/). That includes no carryover, so let's bump it to $25.

You're redoing Mangold and Brick and saving at least 6-7 million. More likely you're cutting one - $10 million savings. Plus if Marshall doesn't work out we can cut him scott-free.

$35 - $40 million in cap space with a whole lot less glaring holes to fill than this offseason and no franchise quarterback salary to pay goes a lot further than people think.

If we're trading him for other reasons, then I want Rivers and San Diego's 3rd rounder at a minimum. Only thing I'd part with him for.

3. GuaranteedMemories

^^

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We all love Wilk, this is about the money.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

which is why we lock up Wilkerson now, give him some major cash the first 2 or 3 seasons - if you get an edge rusher in the draft he's under the rookie contract.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We don't need to trade Wilkerson and we shouldn't.

7. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

He'll be franchised, as the team has already stated. He's on 2 years at $11M/yr. Stop with your insanity. It's not even a consideration.

Your JJ Watt comment encapsulates the idiocy of this thread. "Well, we haven't won with Watt, so let's trade him and hope for the best....because, science and stuff..."

And stop with all the "franchise" QB crap. You need a good QB who doesn't cost the team. Having a great DE and a good QB aren't mutually exclusive. I'm not buying in on trading a proven commodity for a hope and a prayer. Especially when that commodity, with current pick values, would be lucky to bring back a 2nd rounder.

8. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Let's not kid ourselves here. When was the last time we tried to trade a star player and replace him through the draft? Revis / Millner and Saunders. We can't be paying Harris $7mm and letting our young studs bounce for draft picks. Coples I'm fine trading, Wilkerson would be pure lunacy.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's pretty laughable you'd want Rivers AND a pick back for Wilkerson. Despite his postseason struggles he's in the upper two tiers or quarterbacks in this league and I imagine he's a much harder player to come by then just trading Wilkerson for him.

10. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

Exactly to the bolded part. There's a reason Tom Brady went 10 years between SB victories, and it wasn't because of him. You need a TEAM to win the whole thing. Why weaken your team? People really need to upgrade their mode of thinking. The cap will go up next year and the year after, it is not only possible but PROBABLE that the Jets keep both Wilk and Sheldon.

11. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Who said we should lowball him? Who said Wilkerson has an inflated asking price?

12. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Idiocy is paying a premium at positions you shouldn't pay a premium for. The QB position is absolutely the one position having a superstar at guarantees you're a contender. The Texans were 2-14 not too long ago.

I'm fine with the fans that want to pay him because he's an NJ guy and homegrown Jet. I'd like him to stay. But you have a finite amount you can spend and can't have superstars everywhere.

I hope we draft MM just so your stupid comments can finally leave. Know that we're holding you to becoming a pats fan. No backing out now.

Brook! likes this.
  13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

100%

_

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Top 5 pick this year or resign him to a 5 year 50 mil with 40 guaranteed

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The problem is - it is the DL that makes this 3-4 machine go. If you don't have 3 big guys that can run 2-gap technique, this defense will fail even before they take the field.

Yes, I am saying DL indeed IS a premium position in 3-4. Their effectiveness is directly tied to the effectiveness of the LBs behind them, and thus the secondary behind them as well. Remember - when Brady won his super bowls, he had to ride the coattails of his defense in his first three.

16. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I think it's a position you need very good players at. Right now we have 2 elite ones. It's an embarrassment of riches in my opinion. I want Wilk to stay, but I take the number 2 pick without question. You need a complete defense to really succeed without a QB. Just having that QB though puts you in the playoff discussion every season.

17. GuaranteedMemories

But trading an elite player for an unproven commodity makes no sense. Especially when this Unproven commodity is a project player

SyracuseJet likes this.
  18. GuaranteedMemories

Do you understand how contracts work? You just guaranteed 80% of this guy's contract

SyracuseJet likes this.
  19. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Stop using Madden as the basis of your team building. And my stupid comments? Mr. "Mariota is a better prospect then Winston".... You must have been a big Ryan Leaf supporter.

James Hasty likes this.
  20. GuaranteedMemories

If Andrew Luck was in this draft then yes I could see it. Coming out of college he was hailed as the next franchise QB by everyone