Will Our Defense He Better Than Buffalo Next Season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Stylo, Mar 13, 2015.

1. HipKat

HipKat New Member

Because your team sucked last year. You had crap for a team. That's why you got swept. That's why you lost so many games. You had terrible QB'ing. Our was bad, your was horrible. I saw some people mention Fitz. Great QB between the 20's, but the INT's he steadily throws in the end zone are what he's known for and why he got shipped out of town. Players lose confidence in him quickly, which is why he;s been on 5 teams.

I read this whole thread and here's what I think. The Jets may have the best secondary on paper in the NFL. Very close, if not the best. The Bills are better up front.

I think it's funny that people are dis'ing Rex. You may be the only ones who follow football that don't appreciate the guy's a Defensive genius. Butt hurt because he's on a division rival, maybe?? Some said he's predictable?? I give you Chan Gailey for predictable.

Bottom line is, while we're rivals, what I'm really drooling over is that 3 teams in this division got better. 1 didn't. And we all hate that team

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Impressive that you made it all the way to the end of your first post without burning all your timeouts.

Charlie Kelly and ConcordeChops like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What's the obsession with Siberia anyway? This is why I really hate the offseason. Especially between FA and Draft Day.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The Jets were better than a 4-12. They underperformed. And getting our asses kicked esp in Detroit was embarrassing. Rex had all the time to prepare and had the advantage and still got shellacked. He's inheriting good talent with the Bills just like he did with the Jets in 2009. I expect some results initially but in the long run he's just not a good head coach. And his defensive schemes are way overrated.

5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm not knocking Rex or the Jills. I hope they sweep the Patsies and the Marine Mammals and finish 4-2 in the division. I'm not holding my breath for any portion of that sentence, however.

6. HipKat

HipKat New Member

C'mon man. Every losing team underperformed.
    That's why they lose.

The problems with the Jets were not on Rex; they're on loss of talent, horrid QB's and and a terrible GM. The entire world knows the friction between Ryan the Front Office. It was a lose/lose situation.

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look, I'm glad you're very happy with your new coach. Almost as happy as I was to get rid of him. You can have him!

8. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping we get last licks on Brady this year. Let Suh and Rex smack him around first before pancake him.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Rex is a bad head coach, but he is a great defensive coordinator. The Bills defense was ALREADY great before Rex. The Jets turned the weakness of their D into their strength over night, so should be interesting. I would give a slight edge to the Bills just from watching the 2014 season, but we all know both teams have changed a lot in the last few weeks. The thread question is similar to asking who is better? Brady or Manning? Both great, so win-win.

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

seriously... what explanation does anyone need for the blowouts, the first game, didnt geno turn it over like 4 times in his first 6 snaps?

amyone here knocking REx for his defensive prowess is either butt hurt or a moron. Rex was fantastic for us. he consistently kept us in games, or even won/shutdown elite QBs while here, and did so in big games. Peyton with the colts, bradys patriots, brees a couple times, etc... and it wasnt just all out blitzes. he went 4 down lineman vs peyton in the playoffs and really limited him that way as blitzing wasnt likely to work.

11. jerseyjay14

i cant possibly disagree with this more. we were as bad as our 4-12 record and it was no surprise. we had bottom 5 talent at basically every level on both sides. bottom 5 secondary, bottom 5-10 linebackers, bottom 5 qb, bottom 5-10 wideouts, bottom 5-10 oline, bottom 5 special teams. outside of dline we were pretty bad.

we overachieved when we went 8-8 the year before. that team was a 4-6 win team as well.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

A year ago on this board nobody thought we were a 4-12 team. Most posters said we were a 7-9 to a 9-7. Our D talent alone was better than 4 wins. There has to be accountability on the coaching staff for some of that. And there was, he got fired. He had more talent than 4 Ws. His team's were not well coached teams.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very nicely said. All very good points. I think you might find that many of us will never argue about Rex's defensive acumen. He has consistently fielding strong defenses.
    I Think last year Idzik left him hanging high and dry, with essentially no secondary and a limited offense yet he managed a few close game against his bitter rivals.

However, I will not go as far as to say that he is the type of HC that knows how to gameplay both sides of the game to leverage his best players and weaken the opposition, not to mention clock management and the propensity to keep his favorites on the field come hell or high water. More than once we were ill prepared almost across the board. Further, my biggest frustation bar none was the cluster fuck with him and Idzik 2 years ago, where they forced to play a QB that was not remotely ready, while destroying Sanchez in absolute pre season garbage time.

Rex is one of the best defensive coordinators in the game IMHO. For whatever circumstances however, it did not quite translate into a Jets HC that could properly manage both sides of the ball and take this team to the next level.

14. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

The Jets were not better then a 4-12 team. You are what your record says you are. There is more to the game then just actual ability, part of being good is knowing how to win even if you dont have the best talent. Tebow is not very talented at QB at the NFL level but when he was on the broncos he had the x factor to find ways to win. Maybe some of the players on our team are more talented then what you would expect a 4-12 team to be but that was what we were. If we were better then a 4-12 team we would have found ways to win the very close games but we seemed to always find ways to lose them. The only argument that could really be made to say we were better then 4-12 is if the schedule we played was far more difficult then other teams but I dont think that had much to do with it. We got blown out by some poor teams and played some of the best teams to the final whistle which showed we knew how to play football just not how to win which is the most important factor. And I know I just referred to the team as we and not they which personally i dont like when people do because they arent actually part of the team but i typed too much to go back and fix it @.@

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying. The old Parcells adage: you are what your record is. But imo we had better talent than that. I think one of the reasons was coaching. Poor schemes and strategy including on defense and poor execution, penalties and bad decision making on the sidelines. I don't blame everything on Rex but you can't keep excusing him for obvious deficiencies when we were basically out coached (which he even admitted) almost every week. Esp the 2nd Buffalo game, the one played in Detroit.

16. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Of course the Jets recognize Rex's defensive genius. The problem is (1) he's not a DC, and (2) it's a lot easier to find a coach's faults if you're a fan of the team which he coaches. Jets fans have had to live through Rex's triumphs and tribulations over the past 5 years. We're not in denial; we're just more aware of some of his downsides and like to talk about it because it sucks that he decided to join the Bills and not a team outside the division.

Also, let's remember again: Chain Gailey is our OC. Rex Ryan is your head coach. If you don't know the difference between a coordinator and a head coach, you will soon. I think Rex will have early success with the Bills, even a playoff run or two. I'm not sure if it's sustainable; we'll see if Rex has learned anything about offense...or player management... or clock management... or penalties... or unorthodox bravado.

17. jerseyjay14

several did. i called them for 3-6 wins. i agree alot of delusional fans had us winning 8 or 9 games, but a ton of people had us at 4-6 wins. lets go dig up the thread from last season.

last years team had 2-6 win talent.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

We were coming off of an 8-8. Why would anyone think we would be a 4-6 W team. The only significant player we cut was Sanchez. To me that was a plus.

19. jerseyjay14

because we vastly overachieved to get to 8-8, we were a bad team. and the schedule was tougher as far as QBs we were set to play.

we has some fortune that season as well. we beat the cardinals 7-6 when they were on like their 5th string qb. we did everything we coudl to lose that game but won it. similar with our win over the jaguars. that was a 4-6 win team that just played well and took advantage of some awful teams

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You're basically blaming everything on Idzik and nothing on Rex. Under 2 GMs Rex didn't make the playoffs for 4 seasons.